Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Learn Punjabi Need help

Discussion in 'Language, Arts & Culture' started by Abneet, May 20, 2014.

1. Abneet

Abneet
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Anyone have a good document or website that teaches you a lot of punjabi grammar and sentence usage also with vocabulary. There are many threads and some don't work so I am curious if anyone has a great Gurmukhi learning document/website.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Interracial And Interfaith Marriage, Help Needed To Confront/convince My Parents Love & Marriage Aug 16, 2016
    17 yr old Baljit needs your help Get Involved Aug 19, 2015
    United Sikhs From United Sikhs. Phillippines Needs Your Help Sikh Organisations Nov 22, 2013
    Need Help... (Keeping Hair) Questions and Answers Sep 2, 2013
    Leisure Guess who going to be at Harmandir Sahib for Diwali 2013!! ...Need help with Visa app :) Business, Lifestyle & Leisure Apr 26, 2013

3. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Modern Punjabi or the language of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

4. Sherdil

Sherdil
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

First, you should learn the punjabi alphabet. This includes the vowels (sihari, bihari, kanna, etc.)

Then pick up a punjabi newspaper and sound out the words. Write them phonetically in English.

Take your phonetic interpretation and put it into an online punjabi dictionary. This will give you the meaning.

Slowly piece together the news article. You will get the hang of it if you keep doing it. It will be harder for non-native punjabi speakers, but still do-able.

Now take your newfound abilities and pick apart gurbani piece by piece.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Abneet

Abneet
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I can read Gurmukhi at a good pace I just need to expand my vocabulary and work on completing my sentences with the right tenses.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Abneet

Abneet
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

modern punjabi.

7. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Look for books about..Punjabi VIAKARAN....you can begin with the one by Prof Sahib Singh...Gurbani Viakaran....and dont be frightened off by the word Gurbani....its not that distant form "modern" Punjabi...( NOT the Punjabi you find in modern day Punjabi books.newspapers form the Eastern Punjab - that Punjabi is NOT Modern but *******ised by the forced adulteration of Hindi/Sanskrit words ). The REAL MODERN PUNJABI is found in books and novels of Nanak Singh..Bhai Vir Singh, .Gurbaksh Singh Preetlaree, and present day Jaswant Singh Kanwal etc..

• Like Like x 1
  8. namritanevaeh

namritanevaeh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

I think I'm kind of at a similar level. I need to learn more vocab (reading is helping), more verbs, and figure out the blasted cases! ;-)