• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Need Help

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
Anyone have a good document or website that teaches you a lot of punjabi grammar and sentence usage also with vocabulary. There are many threads and some don't work so I am curious if anyone has a great Gurmukhi learning document/website.

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
First, you should learn the punjabi alphabet. This includes the vowels (sihari, bihari, kanna, etc.)

Then pick up a punjabi newspaper and sound out the words. Write them phonetically in English.

Take your phonetic interpretation and put it into an online punjabi dictionary. This will give you the meaning.

Slowly piece together the news article. You will get the hang of it if you keep doing it. It will be harder for non-native punjabi speakers, but still do-able.

Now take your newfound abilities and pick apart gurbani piece by piece.

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
First, you should learn the punjabi alphabet. This includes the vowels (sihari, bihari, kanna, etc.)

Then pick up a punjabi newspaper and sound out the words. Write them phonetically in English.

Take your phonetic interpretation and put it into an online punjabi dictionary. This will give you the meaning.

Slowly piece together the news article. You will get the hang of it if you keep doing it. It will be harder for non-native punjabi speakers, but still do-able.

Now take your newfound abilities and pick apart gurbani piece by piece.

I can read Gurmukhi at a good pace I just need to expand my vocabulary and work on completing my sentences with the right tenses.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Look for books about..Punjabi VIAKARAN....you can begin with the one by Prof Sahib Singh...Gurbani Viakaran....and dont be frightened off by the word Gurbani....its not that distant form "modern" Punjabi...( NOT the Punjabi you find in modern day Punjabi books.newspapers form the Eastern Punjab - that Punjabi is NOT Modern but *******ised by the forced adulteration of Hindi/Sanskrit words ). The REAL MODERN PUNJABI is found in books and novels of Nanak Singh..Bhai Vir Singh, .Gurbaksh Singh Preetlaree, and present day Jaswant Singh Kanwal etc..

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: