• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Naskh Considered Inappropriate To Sikhs?

johnyork

SPNer
Dec 19, 2012
Naskh concidered inappropriate to Sikhs?

I can read and write in Shahmukhi, but I prefer to write in Naskh style, as opposed to Nastiliq style (the usual style for Shahmukhi).

Naskh (ਨਸਖ਼/نسخ)
Nastaliq (ਨਸਤਾਲੀਕ/نستعليق)

The Urdu script you see in this post is displayed in Naskh (if it displayed properly for you).

Nastaliq is more popular for writing Urdu, Shahmukhi, etc.. Whereas Naskh is more popular with the Arab League countries for writing Arabic.

Naskh is also the mostly identified script style with Islam.

The question is this. Is it considered disrepectful or inappropriate to have books or bags or personal belongings of any kind with Naskh style writing on it at a Gurdwara?

Example: A messenger bag with Naskh script style writing on it.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Re: Naskh concidered inappropriate to Sikhs?

NO...................why would a sikh be offended by writing on a messenger bag ?
GURDWARAS are OPEN to all and welcome is to all..theres ONLY a PROTOCOL of having the Head covered and the feet uncovered. Respect for the sangat..and for the SGGS is normal.Be seated facing the SGGS and dont talk...is normal protocol..standing up for ardass..accepting parshaad (acceptable if not taken)..be decently dressed..etc etc..
NOTHING ELSE is even considered in any way..

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Naskh concidered inappropriate to Sikhs?

I can read and write in Shahmukhi, but I prefer to write in Naskh style, as opposed to Nastiliq style (the usual style for Shahmukhi).

Naskh (ਨਸਖ਼/نسخ)
Nastaliq (ਨਸਤਾਲੀਕ/نستعليق)

The Urdu script you see in this post is displayed in Naskh (if it displayed properly for you).

Nastaliq is more popular for writing Urdu, Shahmukhi, etc.. Whereas Naskh is more popular with the Arab League countries for writing Arabic.

Naskh is also the mostly identified script style with Islam.

The question is this. Is it considered disrepectful or inappropriate to have books or bags or personal belongings of any kind with Naskh style writing on it at a Gurdwara?

Example: A messenger bag with Naskh script style writing on it.

johnyork ji, (Sounds like a new brand of moonshine.j/k)

Let's be bluntly honest about things.

What are the premise, foundation, idea behind your above post?

Please explain in details.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM