• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hard Talk Miracles, Dukh Bhanjani Sahib Paath And Sikhism

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
..come on H, Hemkunt/ bedroom ? that's below the belt by any measure of the word "compare n contrast" ! you're entitled to an opinion, but not at the disparage of others. Religious sensitivity must always be borne in mind no matter how trivial the subject or the proposition might be.

Thank you

oh, I could have said worse, but the point still stands, is god everywhere in abundance, or not?

I am asking you the question

thank you

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Originalji

I get the impression that, like me, you also believe that god is uniformly present everywhere, just as you believed in a similar thread that the SGGS is not making literal observation regarding crows turning into doves. I think the issue here is not the discussion or the subject, but the fact that such could be questioned, are we at the stage now where even questions about the subject are not allowed? If that is the case, I would much prefer to debate with you and what you stand for, rather than with a self appointed leader of a self appointed spanish inquisition.

Why is it that when I am asked a question, I am happy to give the answer my best shot, but when I ask questions, they are never answered.

I will ask again, can you clarify your position on the uniform presence of God in the universe and beyond, you can have one of two answers, or even make one yourself.

1. God is everywhere, uniformly and in abundance
2. God is everywhere, but more in some places than in others

thank you

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
...perhaps the best way to proceed would be to define God [use dictionary meaning if you like] as a mean to starting-point for our discussion. No doubt you'd appreciate that if we're to understand each other, then we have to mean the same by the words we use. So yes, be my guest and give me a definition of God !

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
...perhaps the best way to proceed would be to define God [use dictionary meaning if you like] as a mean to starting-point for our discussion. No doubt you'd appreciate that if we're to understand each other, then we have to mean the same by the words we use. So yes, be my guest and give me a definition of God !

I have a better idea, let us dispense with the whole 'god' aspect and focus instead on Ek Onkar and the Mool Manter, Ek Onkar is fully described in Mool Manter, so a dictionary meaning of 'God' is nor needed, nor relevant.

So I will ask you again.

can you clarify your position on the uniform presence of Ek Onkar in the universe and beyond, is Ek Onkar concentrated in areas, or is it uniform? is Ek Onkar more present at Hemkunt than it is in my bedroom?

Are there places where a Sikh feels more connected, or should a Sikh feel equally as connected regardless?

If Darbar Sahib is indeed the holiest and most Ek Onkar infused place on the planet, or even the universe, why then did it go through such a tragedy in 1984? Given what happened in that year, can we not assume therefore that Ek Onkar and the presence of such has little to do with geographical location?

Last edited:

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Young n handsome H - good evening !
I have a better idea, let us dispense with the whole 'god' aspect and focus instead on Ek Onkar and the Mool Manter, Ek Onkar is fully described in Mool Manter, so a dictionary meaning of 'God' is nor needed, nor relevant.
..for reasons that will become apparent as we begin to grind the topic, I suggest a definition is a must because what to you is Ek Onkar, an energy, to me is God ! So pls if you will, as a starting-point for our discussion give me a definition of God. We will work on the definitions to improve them so that we're singing the same hymn of the one page.

Goodnight - movienite tnite -

TC

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

..for reasons that will become apparent as we begin to grind the topic, I suggest a definition is a must because what to you is Ek Onkar, an energy, to me is God ! So pls if you will, as a starting-point for our discussion give me a definition of God. We will work on the definitions to improve them so that we're singing the same hymn of the one page.

TC

Harry ji,

Guru Fateh.
I agree with Original ji. Let's define the word god as I am waiting for the meaning of god from his viewpoint as my query to him so we can discuss it further.

Normally, he shirks away when asked questions where as he has been answered to his. Strange to say the least. Why this insecurity!

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

TC

I believe in Ek Onkar, how can I describe your god to you?

In any case the subject at question is Ek Onkar, qualities of which we can source from the Mool Manter, so there should be no confusion, for our references I suggest we refer to the same.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Good morning Everyone - hope you all had a good weekend, we did ! Celebrated Baba Nanak Ji's birthday, big time, here in Southall - thank you !

New I believe in Ek Onkar, how can I describe your god to you?

In any case the subject at question is Ek Onkar, qualities of which we can source from the Mool Manter, so there should be no confusion, for our references I suggest we refer to the same.
...that is precisely the reason why a definition is a must, sir ? For example, let us take your quote above, [bold] "I believe in Ek Onkar, how can I describe your......God...?" by this you would mean that there is a difference between Ek Onkar and God. And, it is this difference that I wish us to examine in more detail so as to seek an "objective" account, if possible, to mean the same since we're both "believers" of the "one supreme authority", meaning AP. What I mean by objective account is that it exists outside the mind of one single person and is externally substantive, like gravity for example. Gravity can be objectively tested since it would exist regardless of any single observer, you follow. Whereas, beauty is not objective and is pretty much dependent upon the perception of the individual.

And, it is in that regard a definition would be a good starting-point so that everyone can muck-in.

Speak soon - time to jog.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I suggest a definition is a must because what to you is Ek Onkar, an energy, to me is God !

"I believe in Ek Onkar, how can I describe your......God...?"

by this you would mean that there is a difference between Ek Onkar and God. And, it is this difference that I wish us to examine in more detail so as to seek an "objective" account, if possible, to mean the same since we're both "believers" of the "one supreme authority", meaning AP.

well its your god that needs defining, unless you wish to define Ek Onkar, but that is already defined in Mool Mantra, so I cannot see what the problem is, unless you wish to bring some third party god into the equation? We already have the definition, can we proceed?

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Thank you H ! No, I'm happy to proceed with whatever takes your fancy ! Please consider the following:

In the topic - Is the question whether a supreme being exists, or whether a supreme being designed the universe?

...you said,

I acknowledge a supreme being, an energy if you will, that has a passive interest in the world, almost observing, with no interference, so I would take it that this view needs to be resolved before we move on,

And, I said..

The fact that you've acknowledged the existence of a supreme being [SB], technically rules out the argument for or against God's [wider meaning] existence. Furthermore, you then go on to ascribe to it some functional qualities, namely, passive interest,..observant, non-interfering, which by definition brings it out of mere existence and into a physical being that has the potential to be anything and everything. Nanak calls him creator [karta purakh], would you hold against me if I was to call him a designer ?

Can we proceed with the above to see the wood from the trees ? Oh, another thing, let us keep in view the subject matter, "dukh bhanjani beri" the primary reason why Amritsar stands today where it does.

over2u

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Originalji, for the purposes of this debate, let us both forget our own personal understandings of Ek Okankar, and instead accept the attributes as described in Mool Mantar, on that basis, could you now answer the questions I put to you,

can you clarify your position on the uniform presence of Ek Onkar in the universe and beyond, you can have one of two answers, or even make one yourself.

1. Ek Onkar is everywhere, uniformly and in abundance
2. Ek Onkar is everywhere, but more in some places than in others

thank you

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM