• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Miracle Stories

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Gyani ji

Thank you very much for the clarification that only my dense brain needed. Furthermore your comment about my posts puts me doubly on my guard not to make a fool of myself.:)

The words I didn't understand are Sakhi, Sangat, B{censored}e, and Akhand Paath.

Always peace

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
satyaban Ji..
Sakhi..is a "tale"....story...normally based on History. If word occurs in GURBANI/SGGS..it means Sikhia..TEACHINGS...of the GURU..."satgur ki sach sakhi...the Satguru's true teachings/updesh...
You may come across the term Sau Sakhi...its supposedly a book about 100 prophesies made by/about the Guru Gobind Singh/post Guru Gobind Singh period...future !!
Sachee Sakhi is a book by Late Sirdar Kapoor Singh ICS about his unfair dismissal and hounding from Indian Civil service ICS by the Nehru Govt.
Sangat is congregation....of Gursikhs/Gurmukhs in the presence of the Guru
Sangat also slang for Company...as in Company of the Bold makes one bold !! Company of fools makes one a fool ??
B{censored}e is akin to Saradh in Hinduism. Annual remembrance of someones DEATH Anniversary (celebrated with Food to Five Brahmins) - among Sikhs celebrated with either Food to Five Amrtidharees/in Gurdwara with sehaj paath da bhog - sehaj paath is casual slow reading of SGGS or Akhand Paath- special 48 hour FAST TRACK reading of SGGS by FIVE or SIX fast track professionals.

Always peace..YES.:happy:

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
I am just adding my little bit – only sharing my thoughts and in no way making any emphatic claims.

A miracle may be defined as an event which seems to defy logic or an event or a happening which goes against the laws of nature as WE know them. Miracles under different faiths have different meaning and importance. In Christianity that before earning the title of an apostle or a saint one has to perform miracle. It is also under stood that Jesus himself never emphasized his miracles and considered them merely as signs of his participation in the Divine. Thus the meaning of the term must be viewed in the it’s the context of the relevant philosophy.

There are many instances in Sikh Ithiaas where events defy human logic. Human beings can only put these into words, using their limited vocabulary, to describe what they know. However, there is so much that we do not know. Therefore, when we see or read something which defies logic as we see it as ‘miracle’, a divine intervention, or behaviour of natural laws beyond our knowledge or comprehension (as Satyaban ji, succinctly, put it ‘unexplained phenomena’)?

Do we also need to differentiate between ‘anhonee’ and a miracle? I am only thinking out aloud here! The former is mentioned in Gurbani:

Cinṯaaaa kee keejee-ai jo anhonee hoye”

Only worry about something which has never happened (or may never happen or is not expected to happen).

So perhaps miracle is no ‘anhonee’ after all as these do happen. Or are both the same?

There are many instances where the events unfolded suggesting a ‘miracle’ or ‘divine intervention’.

(1)
When Baba Atal Rai, son of Guru Hargobind Ji, went over to his friend Mohan’s house, who was supposedly dead, and asked him to get up and say ‘Waheguru’ – the unimaginable happened – Mohan got up as if from a slumber. Guru Hargobind Ji was not pleased and Baba Atal realised that he had gone against the Will of God by using his powers to revive Mohan back to life. The history records that Baba Atal ji took a dip in the sarovar near the Harmandir Sahib and did the parkarma several times. He then sat down and recited Sukhmani Sahib and eventually left his body. Accounts may vary slightly.

(2)
The history of Panja Sahib is world famous – I am often asked about this by non-Sikhs. The egotistic Vali Kandhari rolls down a heavy rock from top of the mount towards Guru Nanak Ji, who blocks it with his hand. Gurdwara Panja Sahib now stands at that spot in Pakistan. Was this divine intervention or Guru Nanak performing a miracle – perhaps it was God’s Will.

(3)
Guru Har Krishan, the ‘child Guru’ as he is often referred to, touched Chajju, the water carrier, with a stick. Chajju stood up and immediately began to recite and expound the philosophy of Gita. The proud Brahmin, who had doubted Guru Har Krishan Ji, fell to his feet. How do we define such an occurring? A miracle or a divine intervention!

(4)
Kauda Rakash, the cannibal, was about to throw Baba Mardana into the cauldron (karraha) on red hot fire. But Guru Nanak answered Mardana ji’s prayers and arrived in the nick of time. The cauldron cooled in an instance (tapat karraha bujh gaya) – Kauda fell on Guru Ji’s feet. Did Guru Nanak perform a miracle or the Lord intervened because of Nanak’s presence, to redeem Kauda Rakash?

(5)
Guru Nanak in Baghdad held the hand of Dastagir’s son and gave him a tour of galaxy after galaxy to prove that there are “patalaa paatal lakh agasaa agaas” and as evidence brought back (kachkaul) bowl of prashad (sacramental food, offering). This is found in Bhai Gurdas Ji’s Vaar 1 Pauri 36 – naal leetaa baytaa peer daa akhee meeti gaiaa havaaee (taking along with him the son of the pir, Guru Nanak Dev vanished into thin air).

We must not forget that Guru Nanak was ‘sarab kala smapooran’ i.e. adept in every art and science of the spiritual world but he did not believe in exercising his spiritual powers without reason or justification by going against God’s Will for he wrote:

“Were I to become a man of mystic powers, well-versed in the arts of occult and mysticism, able to perform miracles and summon wealth and glory at will; And were I to become visible and invisible at will, thereby earning myself the reverence and esteem of all people; May I not on attaining such status forget Thee and remember not Thy Name.” (SGGS 14).

Guru Ram Das Ji, the Fourth Nanak fell out with his elder son for performing miracles in the court of the Mogul King. There are many other instances where the events cannot be explained by human logic – I am not referring to the vastly exaggerated Sakhis based on the imagination of the writer.

Finally, I agree with Gyani Jarnail Singh ji that the institution of langar, the Shakti of Amrit, the concepts of ‘Guru Chela’ and ‘Shabad Guru’, the will to sacrifice all in the name of justice, the compassion for the down trodden without distinction of race colour or creed are the living proofs of the biggest ‘miracles’ performed by the Sikh Gurus.

A Gursikh does not look towards miracles to solve his problems. For a Gursikh the biggest miracle is the Shabad Guru and the Daily Invocation (Ardas). Through these he can transform his life to achieve salvation (mokash). Ardas said from the heart can never fail to reach its intended destination – so Sikhs believe. Below are the couplets of a poet which sum it up beautifully:

ijhVI Awqmw inmrqw Dwr kUky ibrQw ausdI Aws nhI jw skdI
ijhVI Awqmw joqVI rUp hovyy lutI ausdI rws nhI jw skdI
ijhVI idl rlwieky jwey kIqI AwPl kdy Ardws nhI jw skdI
ijhVI Awqmw pUjdI swD sMgq kdy jmw dy pws nhI jw skdI

jehrri atmaa nimrataa dhaar kookey birthaa oasdee aas nahin jaa sakdi
jehrri atmaa jotri roop hovey lutee oasdee raas nahin jaa sakdi
jehrri dil ralaeykay jaye keetee aphal kadey ardaas nahin jaa sakdi
jehrri atma poojdi saadh sangat kadey jama dey paas nahin jaa sakdi

The voice of the humble soul will never go unheard.
The soul within which burns His light will never be robbed.
The prayer said from the heart is always rewarded.
The soul that worships Holy Congregation will never be visited by the messengers of death.

I apologise – this post got somewhat longer than I had first intended.

Humbly

Rajinder Singh ’Arshi’

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Guru Piayare Arshi Jio,
Gurfateh.

Well put. Thanks for well written post. There are always two sides to any story...and its our way to balance both sides.

Just a small point if I may. The Guru Ji you mentioned as Guru Ram Dass Ji/ and eldest son..(Prithiyah) ..is actually Guru Har rai ji and eldest son Ram Rai. Although Guru ram Dass Jis eldest son Prithiyah also disobeyed his father and caused much hatred/jealousy and resulted in the martyrdom of Guru Arjun ji..it was Ram rai that went against His fathers wishes and not only performed " many miracles" for Aurengzeb, Ram rai also changed Gurbani of Guru nanak ji...Mittee mussalman ki into Mitti BEIMAAN Kee just to please Aurengzeb. Guru har rai Ji immediately DISOWNED Ram rai and banned him from the Darbar. He left for Dehradun where he founded his own DERA and Ram raiyah Sikhs who are ostracised in our SRM.
Once again keep in chardeekalla ji and keep those valuable input posts coming..

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Miracles can be likened to Ridhian Sidhian....special powers to BEND Natural laws...like being able to weigh a ton instantly..or become weightless and float in an instant.
Gurbani calls these awra saadh..usleless pursuits that HINDER ones PROGRESS towards Gurmukhtaa..merger with the Creator and Muktee while alive which is our Goal. Such "powers" can be easily attained by meditation and other technicques..but then one becomes engrossed in showing off, haumaii increases..other Maya temptations come in...and thats the end...of the Spiritual Progress.

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Gyani ji

Gur Fateh

You are absolutely right ji and many thanks for the correction – a rather embarrassing error on my part. Both Baba Prithi Chand and Baba Ram Rai do stand out in memory as two of Gurus’ sons who caused the most concerns in their times.

Here is another incredible account for ‘miracle’ seekers. Ram Rai was also involved in another incident leaving his body in a samadhi experiment (some say he went to the rescue of one of his disciples) which eventually cost him his life. He had given strict instructions to his wife, Punjab Kaur, to keep the door bolted from inside until he returned to his body. However, the ambitious Gurbakash thwarted the plans and instigated public opinion against Punjab Kaur. Whilst Baba Ram Rai was still in Samadhi and absolutely unconscious of his body, Gurbakash succeeded in convincing the followers that Ram Rai ji was dead. He persuaded them to break open the locks and see the lifeless corpse for themselves and quickly organised a pyre and cremated Ram Rai supposedly still ‘alive’.

Story also goes that Gurbakash was also responsible for adding to the estrangement between Ram Rai and Guru Ji.

Gyani ji I would dearly love your take on the story (I always wondered about its authenticity) and the role Gurbakash played in adding to Ram Rai’s woes in his relations with Guru Ji.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: