• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Mightier Than The Kirpan | Hardeep Singh Kohli (Guardian Unlimited)

Sep 20, 2004
I find it hard to justify knives being allowed in schools – be they Sikh ceremonial symbols or otherwise What do you know about Sikhism? The men wear turbans. It comes from the north-west of India. It has at its heart the five "Ks", the kesh (long hair), kara (steel bangle worn on the right hand), kaacha (undergarment), kanga (comb) and kirpan (a ceremonial dagger); all baptised Sikhs are ...

More...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
From the article, these words by the author: "We must do all we can to protect the rights of people to enjoy the way of life they choose. But there are more important battles to fight with regard to religious intolerance than whether Sikh kids can wear kirpans to school. Perhaps I'm being too literal, but all religions could do with taking a step back from symbols and icons and explore a little more deeply the philosophical content of what their belief system hopes to offer the world"

Permit me sangat ji to point out that this is opinion not news. There are some other threads in which this very debate is being discussed.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM