Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sikh News Mightier than the kirpan | Hardeep Singh Kohli (Guardian Unlimited)

Discussion in 'Breaking News' started by Sikh News Reporter, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Sikh News Reporter

Sikh News Reporter United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

I find it hard to justify knives being allowed in schools – be they Sikh ceremonial symbols or otherwise What do you know about Sikhism? The men wear turbans. It comes from the north-west of India. It has at its heart the five "Ks", the kesh (long hair), kara (steel bangle worn on the right hand), kaacha (undergarment), kanga (comb) and kirpan (a ceremonial dagger); all baptised Sikhs are ...

More...

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh News Sikhs Face Problems While Carrying Kirpans In Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa - SikhSiyasat.Net Breaking News Jul 29, 2016
    Kirpan da Amrit for Babies Questions and Answers Dec 10, 2015
    Pacific New Zealand Pm: Sikhs Should Be Allowed To Wear Kirpans At World Cup Breaking News Mar 16, 2015
    Kirpan Sarbloh or Steel? Questions and Answers Jun 5, 2014
    Canada Canada allows Sikh kirpans in its embassies and missions abroad Breaking News Apr 20, 2014

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

From the article, these words by the author: "We must do all we can to protect the rights of people to enjoy the way of life they choose. But there are more important battles to fight with regard to religious intolerance than whether Sikh kids can wear kirpans to school. Perhaps I'm being too literal, but all religions could do with taking a step back from symbols and icons and explore a little more deeply the philosophical content of what their belief system hopes to offer the world"

Permit me sangat ji to point out that this is opinion not news. There are some other threads in which this very debate is being discussed.