Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Microsoft Warning Over Browser Security Flaw

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by Archived_Member16, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Archived_Member16

Archived_Member16
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

31 January 2011 Last updated at 08:54 ET<script type="text/javascript"> <!--$render("page-bookmark-links","page-bookmark-links-head",{ useForgeShareTools:"false", position:"top", site:'News', headline:'BBC News - Microsoft warning over browser security flaw', storyId:'12325139', sectionId:'99113', url:'http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12325139', edition:'US'}); --></script>
    Microsoft warning over browser security flaw

Microsoft has issued a "critical" warning over a newly-discovered flaw in Windows.

In a security advisory, the company warned of a loophole that could be used by malicious hackers to steal private information or hijack computers.

The bug potentially affects every user of the Internet Explorer web browser - around 900 million people worldwide.

Microsoft has issued a software patch to defend against attacks, and said it was working to develop a long-term fix.

The security advisory, which was published on Friday, details how the vulnerability can be used to manipulate users and take over their machines.

Although the flaw is actually inside Windows itself, it only appears to affect the way that Internet Explorer handles some web pages and documents.

Microsoft admitted that the problem meant users could easily be fooled into downloading malicious files by doing something as simple as clicking on a web link.

"When the user clicked that link, the malicious script would run on the user's computer for the rest of the current Internet Explorer session," wrote Microsoft representative Angela Gunn in a website announcement accompanying the advisory.

Once the computer had been hijacked, hackers could use it to steal personal data or send users to fake websites, she added.

"Such a script might collect user information, e.g e-mail, spoof content displayed in the browser or otherwise interfere with the user's experience."
    Although Microsoft said it had seen no evidence that the glitch had already been exploited by hackers, it warned that research had shown it was a serious threat.

And while it has not been able to remove the bug itself, it issued a "fix it" security patch to block any attempts to use it.

All Windows users - particularly those who use Internet Explorer - are being urged to download the fix while the company's security team develop a way to plug the hole permanently.

source:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12325139

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    World Microsoft Apologizes for Changing Race in Photo Breaking News Aug 26, 2009
    DOWNLOAD BANI FILES - Microsoft Word Format Discourses in English Feb 11, 2008
    Microsoft Throws Prime-Time Party for Next Xbox (washingtonpost.com) Interfaith Dialogues May 14, 2005
    Microsoft Unveils New Windows Mobile (AP) Interfaith Dialogues May 11, 2005
    Jail for 'Robin Hoods' who cost Microsoft millions (Reuters) Interfaith Dialogues May 8, 2005

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Thanks Soul_jyot ji

You know Microsoft has had these problems since Day 1 of its internet browser, and it has never been a secret. This may be more serious than usual. Here we are now a little ahead of schedule for February. Microsoft releases a patch because it is well known in the coding community that hackers always mount planned attacks on Microsoft in the second week of the month. So this is not new.

The best way to by-pass all of this is to use Firefox or Chrome and avoid these problems completely. The problem with I/E is that the code used for interactive web pages is Active X. And it is a thrill for hackers to tinker around with Active X code. It is so unstable that when you set your security controls as High, nothing gets through. And if you set them a Medium, there is an automatic feature that resets them for you to Medium High. So a user is a sitting duck. Internet Explorer is also a ferocious memory hog. The reason why some people experience page crashes when they use it. I don't know why anyone uses it.

Repeat after me: Firefox, Chrome, Firefox, Chrome, Firefox, Chrome. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seeker9

Seeker9 United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    Cleverness is not wisdom
    SPNer Supporter

I gave up on Windoze years ago and have been happily running Linux for the last three years

I set up a free anti virus program and free anti spam program once and have never seen them again since or been prompted for updates. Nor have I ever picked up a virus or trojan or any other malicious code...

How refreshing!

Give it a whirl if you are feeling adventurous...
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

• Like Like x 2
  5. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

Windows 7 came as a redemption for Microsoft! i was on the verge of letting go but have stayed on Windows PC for the time being. Although it is prone to virus infections but the inexplicable errors that bugged the earlier versions are gone in this version. The last time i re-installed Windoes 7 was more than 10 months ago, which is a record in my case by million miles...

Although, i will be opting for Mac for my next purchase but still Windows remain my preferred platform... i have many adolescence memories (terrible!) associated with it... :grinningsingh:

• Like Like x 3