• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Memorial Celebration

Satjot Kaur

SPNer
Jan 6, 2008
Tomorrow I am going to a memorial celebration for an American Sikh who was my teacher who recently died. What is appropriate to wear to her memorial?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Satjot Kaur

Answer depends on what you would wear normally to a funeral or memorial service.

If you have a salwar kameez (for example, one that you wear to gurdwara), then wear that. I would not wear a salwar kameez however that is all decked out in metallic spangles and loud patterns -- because that is too 'bollywood' for the occasion. Anything else is OK. Black is not required. But if you happen to have a black salwar kameez and you wear that to gurdwara, that is OK too. Main thing is to look dignified and respectful.

If you do not have a salwar kameez, then wear a modest skirt, with blouse or top or jacket. Or wear slacks, but not jeans. Again the keynote is being respectful.

You should have some kind of head covering depending on where the service is being held, just in case - a head scarf, turban, or chunni/dupatta.

When I did not have a salwar kameez to wear to gurdwara, I wore nice loose fitting trouser pants with a matching top and an embroidered jacket. Nice but not shocking. And a long scarf for my head. Keynote here is modest, respectful, and something nicer than street wear.

To sum up: modest, dignified, respectful, nicer than street wear, head covering if needed, and not mournful either. Sikhs do not emphasize the sorrow and grief of death because it is not good for the souls of the departed or the living. It is a time to detach and let go.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM