• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Meeting Other New Converts 2 Sikhi

ProjectNaad

SPNer
Sep 4, 2007
Vjkk vjkf Sherab bro!

You ask some fantastic questions and I pray that we have more enlightened youngsters like you joining the dharma.

Sherab wrote:
And why would we take that verse in reverse? (no pun intended). If it is what Guru Nanak Dev meant, he would of oput it in reverse himself, right?

ProjectNaad.com wrote:
All I was trying to highlight by reversing the shabad was its true meaning which can be read in counter reverse i.e. the right way round …but people miss it!

But here is the shabad again:
Scrupulous Jains and hosts of Siddhs, ascetic yogis - I have seen them all.
Warriors and demons, gods who drink amrit, devout believers in a multitude of doctrines. All these have I witnessed as I traveled the world, yet never a true follower of the Lord. Without the love and grace of God their devotion is trivial, worthless, lost. (1)

All GuruJi is saying here is that without the love and grace of God everything is worthless. GuruJi is not saying don’t be an ascetic or Siddh but simply that whatever you are you need to remember God with your heart if you want your spirituality to bear fruit.

Sherab wrote:
But Kundalini yoga is there for a spiritual purpose - to rise up the male and female energies through the central channel.

ProjectNaad.com wrote:
There is no doubt that it is for Kundalini rising and this in itself is supported by Sikhism. In fact it is because of the spiritual nature of KY that many people who practice KY become Sikhs. So there is no issue here with regards to practicing or not practicing KY

“The Master of the Universe, the very Life of the World pervades the sea and the land, manifesting Himself in myriads of ways. So serve the Guru, the True Guru; His ways and means are inscrutable. The Great Guru Raam Daas is the Boat to carry us across. ||4|| Those who realize the Eternal, Unchanging Word of God, like Dhroo, are immune to death. They cross over the terrifying world-ocean in an instant; the Lord created the world like a bubble of water. The Kundalini rises in the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation; through the Word of the Guru, they enjoy the Lord of Supreme Bliss.The Supreme Guru is the Lord and Master over all; so serve the True Guru, in thought, word and deed. ||5|| Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Jee-o” SGGSJ p. 1402

“When I came to understand this mind, from the tips of my toes to the crown of my head, then I took my cleansing bath, deep within my self. ||1|| The mind, the master of the breath, abides in the state of supreme bliss. There is no death, no re-birth, and no aging for me now. ||1||Pause|| Turning away from materialism, I have found intuitive support. I have entered into the sky of the mind, and opened the Tenth Gate. The chakras of the coiled Kundalini energy have been opened, and I have met my Sovereign Lord King without fear. ||2||My attachment to Maya has been eradicated; the moon energy has devoured the sun energy. “ SGGSJ p.972

Sherab wrote:
Yoga means "a training" in the snese of training yourself to change, tto become like _______. Also the idea of Karma, Bhakti, etc. yogas is found in Hinduism, not Sikhi. As for approaches to "yoga" why mention the term yoga at all?

it sounds to hindu-fied for me.

ProjectNaad.com wrote:
Yoga in the sense of union or as a path to enlightenment is mention in the SGGSJ.

“Let the five passions be disciples under your control, O begging Yogi, and make this mind your walking stick. ||1|| Thus you shall find the Way of Yoga.” SGGSJ p.155

When I mention Seva as Karma Yoga or Simran as Raaj Yoga or Bhakti Yoga as Keertan I am just highlighting the fact that it is a different name for the same thing. Its like the way American say potatoes differently to the English but it doesn’t change the item which they are referring to.

Sikhism is similar to Hinduism and Buddhism but only as far as the following concepts such as karma theory, God realisation and 3rd eye meditation, control of 5 thieves, Maya.

However neither Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam or Christianity have any of the following concepts: Unity of all world Religion, Oneness of Humanity, Gender Equality, Rejection of Caste, Rejection of Fasting, Unity and oneness of God i.e. God is known by many names but it is the same being.

Finally if you know a Hindu who is interested in Sikhism then it is good for you to know the words that a Hindu person will use for something that is basically the same and you can help them to understand how Sikhism is unique too!

Sherab wrote:
Yoga is not sitting in trances. Yoga
is not wandering through foreign lands; Yoga is not bathing at sacred shrines
of pilgrimage. Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world -
this is the way to attain Yoga. ||2||Meeting with the True Guru, doubt is
dispelled, and the wandering mind is restrained. Nectar rains down, celestial
music resounds, and deep within, wisdom is obtained. Remaining unblemished
in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||3||O
Nanak, remain dead while yet alive - practice such a Yoga.”
(Guru Granth Sahib, page 730)

Please read the bold i have highlighted. How does doing physical asana like in kundalini yoga help with any of that? Fine, you may call chanting the Naam as a form of yoga, fine, but you do NOT need Kubndalini Yoga.

ProjectNaad.com wrote:
I agree Sherab Ji, we do not need KY and none of the Gurus suggested that we needed KY for spiritual enlightenment. All we need is love for God and the blessings of the masters.

But if a Sikh does wish to pursue the study of KY they are free to do so. That is all I was suggesting.

Sherab wrote:
Please define Gurmantras. the only one am i aware of is the Mul mantra, and waheguru for simran.

ProjectNaad.com wrote:
“Waheguru” is called the Gurmantar

Blessings

Param
Home | Project Naad :: Infinity in Simplicity

Apr 4, 2007
"GuruJi is not saying don’t be an ascetic or Siddh"

actually, i'm pretty sure he DID say that... hence siri chand not being qualified for Guru gaddi. :)

Guru Nanak Dev ji explicitly told Sikhs to live the life of a householder. to do honest work, to live the family life. being an ascetic or siddh or yogi or whatever is not following the same path Guru sahib laid out so clearly for us.

sikhi has no place for yoga. they're completely unrelated.

=kelly

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
"GuruJi is not saying don’t be an ascetic or Siddh"

actually, i'm pretty sure he DID say that... hence siri chand not being qualified for Guru gaddi. :)

Guru Nanak Dev ji explicitly told Sikhs to live the life of a householder. to do honest work, to live the family life. being an ascetic or siddh or yogi or whatever is not following the same path Guru sahib laid out so clearly for us.

sikhi has no place for yoga. they're completely unrelated.

=kelly
to support Ms.Kaur -

Awsnu pvn dUir kir bvry ] (857-1, iblwvlu, Bgq kbIr jI)
aasan pavan door kar bavray.
Abandon your Yogic postures and breath control exercises, O madman.
Coif kptu inq hir Bju bvry ]1] rhwau ] (857-1, iblwvlu, Bgq kbIr jI)
chhod kapat nit har bhaj bavray. ||1|| rahaa-o.
Renounce fraud and deception, and meditate continuously on the Lord, O madman. ||1||Pause||
ijh qU jwcih so iqRBvn BogI ] (857-2, iblwvlu, Bgq kbIr jI)
jih too jaacheh so taribhavan bhogee.
That which you beg for, has been enjoyed in the three worlds.
kih kbIr kysO jig jogI ]2]8] (857-2, iblwvlu, Bgq kbIr jI)
kahi kabeer kaysou jag jogee. ||2||8||
Says Kabeer, the Lord is the only Yogi in the world. ||2||8||

SGGS: page 857

Aug 24, 2007
I am with Kelly Kaur. I have meet a few Sant jis and had time to ask them about this, they said this way find but its a part from sikhi. I know the 3ho sikhs are great and very kind and it was a way for them to peace and god, but its not for everyone and shouldn't be pushed onto others.

Damo_Singh

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
Pottsville, PA
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I am a new convert to Sikhism after studying most religions. I am considering moving to an area where there are Sikhs. That way I can learn from them. I am in my 50's, male, married to a devout Christian with two grown sons. I ware the bracelet, but as so yet do not wear the turban as my hair is short. I have started letting all my hair grow. I lean toward vegetarianism, but have heard mixed opinions on it. I currently live in Pottsville, PA and am free to move anywhere in the country; although, the shorter the move the better.

Apr 4, 2007

I am a new convert to Sikhism after studying most religions. I am considering moving to an area where there are Sikhs. That way I can learn from them. I am in my 50's, male, married to a devout Christian with two grown sons. I ware the bracelet, but as so yet do not wear the turban as my hair is short. I have started letting all my hair grow. I lean toward vegetarianism, but have heard mixed opinions on it. I currently live in Pottsville, PA and am free to move anywhere in the country; although, the shorter the move the better.

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!

welcome! you probably don't have to move to a new town, there are lots of sikhs in pennsylvania. :)

i recently read an interesting article about a little town near philedelphia that has a sikh majority:
Indian Majority

i would suggest that you start covering your hair now, even if it's short. i see a lot of people do this, they think they should wait before tying a turban. why wait? :) my hair was pretty short when i started wearing my dastaar, and now i'm constantly surprised at how fast it has grown... keeping it covered keeps it healthier and cleaner anyway. :)

Aug 24, 2007
Yeah when I first started growing my hair out I always covered it with a patka(bandana) and u can slowly move into a turban, some people get more use to it this way. it was a long process but now I am at a Dhamala :D good luck

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA

Damo_Singh-ji, i am near Emmaus, PA.

I plan on stopping by Guru Nanak Society of the Lehigh Valley this summer with my girlfriend. If it all works out, and you want to com with us, and my mother, we can all go together.

However, that is still in the future, and that is assuming you want to go to Gurdwara.

WGJKK, WGJKF
Surinderjit Singh

stupidjassi

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
mississauga, ON
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh. I am a convert from Islam/Catholic, haha. I know - Mother is Muslim, Dad Is Catholic, anyways I have been following all the rules and getting ready to take Amrit, I go to a local Gurdwara at Wiliams Lake B.C Canada, where there are many other Gursikhs but they are all indian and born into sikhi, I have only once meet one other converted Sikh but didn't get to talk much. I can't seem to find any other converts online to talk to, who understands what converting to sikhi is like. its even hard meeting other youth who are into sikhi as well. Sometimes it gets lonely I guess because I wear a Dastaar and I have fair skin so I get alot of looks which when I explan to other indian born sikhs they don't understand. so I was just wondering how others deal wit it and wat are somethings to do. I have been trying to get some other converted sikhs to come up here from the 3HO in Vancouver but I got no word from them. thanks for ur time . Satnam Singh Khalsa :)
good to see many have actually already replied to you . by the way , i am reformed back to sikhi (after long time) and looking for sadh sangat ( company of holy people and gurmukh)

gimme im stupidjassi@gmail.com .

i was actually also looking for someone to talk to
i really have very deep and serious topics to discuss

thanks
stupidjassi

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM