• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Meditation On God's Help

il_sikh

SPNer
Apr 12, 2006
Illinois, USA
WJKK, WJKF!

I know that the way to salvation is meditation on God. But I'm just wondering how is that actually done? Is it like other eastern faiths (like Buddhism, Jainism), sitting and reciting Waheguru over and over, or is there more to it? How do we, as Sikhs, meditate on God? I realise being conciously aware of what you're doing, being calm, etc. is required. But what else? I apologise if a lot of that is redundant. Thanks for your help,

Justin
royalphillie@hotmail.com

Last edited:

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
il_sikh said:
WJKK, WJKF!

I know that the way to salvation is meditation on God. But I'm just wondering how is that actually done? Is it like other eastern faiths (like Buddhism, Jainism), sitting and reciting Waheguru over and over, or is there more to it? How do we, as Sikhs, meditate on God? I realise being conciously aware of what you're doing, being calm, etc. is required. But what else? I apologise if a lot of that is redundant. Thanks for your help,

Justin
justin_lundeen@khalsa.com

Respected Justin Ji,

First thing that you need to reach salvation is the desire to achieve it, and now as you have it, you will definately find your way to it.

There is no right or the best way to meditate. Everybody is different. And what make us different is our past and present karmas(this life and previous lives), and based on that we develop a belief system of our own. First thing is that you must start, using whichever way. In this world there is a lot of literature you can find written on the ways to meditate. I suggest pray for it and you will find the one best for your lifestyle, you may find somebody who can assist you, and also listen to your inner voice, just give it a try.

Most important thing is, alongwith meditation, you must develop an unshakable faith in the Guru/God(gur parmesvar aeko jaan/Know that the Guru and the Transcendent Lord are One), and unconditional love for Him. Your mind has to be fixed on Him and Him alone.

Once you start on this path with complete faith and devotion and one pointedness, Guru/God helps you in mysterious ways.

ausqiq mn mih kir inrMkwr ]
kir mn myry siq ibauhwr ]
inrml rsnw AMimRqu pIau ]
sdw suhylw kir lyih jIau ]
nYnhu pyKu Twkur kw rMgu ]
swDsMig ibnsY sB sMgu ]
crn clau mwrig goibMd ]
imtih pwp jpIAY hir ibMd ]
kr hir krm sRvin hir kQw ]
hir drgh nwnk aUjl mQw ]2]
Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji-Page 281

It all depends on what your mind does, dear. If you can control that wandering mind and fix it on the LORD, nothing can stop you.

Rajwinder

Writer
SPNer
May 2, 2006
I think two things are combined here :

1. If u just sit and concentrate following any method then ur mind get nourished. If ur mind is nourished then the whole body is nourished u can get rid of many problems related to different part of body.

2. When u are concentrating then why not praise the GOD or remember him ?

I think in Sikhism these two things are combined to get benefits both Logically and religiously .

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
TEACHINGS OF BABA NAND SINGH JI OF NANAKSAR

He (Baba Nand Singh Ji of Nanksar) unfolded the Supreme grandeur of Sri Guru Granth Sahib splendidly and glorified the eternal Sri Guru Granth Sahib as the living Guru Nanak magnificently. Blessing of Sri Guru Granth Sahib was supreme and He advised everyone to invoke that blessing by completing one path of Sri Guru Granth Sahib in a month in the following manner:

Complete recitation of the whole of Sri Guru Granth Sahib in a month.

Complete 50 paths of Sri Sukhmani Sahib in a month; recite 2 paths of Sri Sukhmani Sahib daily.

Complete 250 paths of Jap Ji Sahib in a month; recite 10 paths of Jap Ji Sahib daily.

Complete 180 Malas (Rosary Mala of 108 beads) of Mool Mantra (from Ekonkar to Nanak Hosi Bhi Such) in a month; do six malas daily.

Complete 80 Malas daily of Gur Mantar 'Waheguru'; 20 Malas of Waheguru if the Nam is recited four times on each bead.

Complete 160 Malas daily of Ram (Nam); 40 Malas if Ram is recited four times on each bead (for Hindus)

A Mohammedan was advised to practice and recite the name of Allah on each bead as above.

Hundreds of crores of Sri Guru Granth Sahib's paths were thus distributed as the most blessed Parshad to millions of devotees in His life time and are continuing uninterrupted since then.

He, thus, brought the supreme blessing of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, the living Sri Guru Nanak Sahib within easy comprehension, reach and grasp of everyone, educated, uneducated, lettered, unlettered, literate, illiterate and simple village folks. Every one recited Amrit Nam and sang the glory of Sri Guru Nanak Sahib in this simple and easy way.

That was the grand purpose behind His holy advent. Uniqueness and greatness of the Eternal Glory of Sri Guru Granth Sahib was unveiled in its totality. The precious treasure of Lord's Name was thrown open to all. It was so simple, easily understandable within the grasp and practice of simple village folk. He freely distributed this Dargahi ticket destined for Sach Khand.

Though He physically disappeared in August 1943 from this earthly scene, He perennially flows as Eternal presence in this very Dargahi Ticket given as Prashad by Him. Lakhs of refugees from either side during the partition of 1947 experienced the miraculous power of this Dargahi ticket, Dargahi Name with the Eternal presence of the Saviour Baba Nand Singh Ji Maharaj, and were saved. Such was the unique power of Nam He distributed.

In possession of this unique Prashad, Divine Ticket, they passed through the most dreaded naked dance of death, but not a single person blessed with this celestial ticket could be injured or harmed or died an unnatural death.

All Glory to Mahan Baba Nand Singh Ji Maharaj.

Baba Nand Singh Ji Maharaj thus blessed millions with unique Prashad of the Lord. Unique Prashad of redeeming Gur Mantar, Mul Mantar, Japji, Sukhmani Sahib, Ram Nam and in addition the paths of Bhagwat Gita and Holy Quran Sharif were distributed as Parshad to Hindus and Muslims in same congregations.

Nam was not the privilege of a selected few. It was open to all It was distributed freely to everyone without any consideration of caste, religion and creed.

By thus propagating the Gospel of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Lakhs of illiterate, simple and plain-hearted villagers were able to feel and experience the spiritual satisfaction of attaining the Grace of Sri Guru Granth Sahib. Babaji had thus brought lofty ideals of personal service and worship of Sri Guru Granth Sahib and resultant spiritual attainment within the immediate reach and grasp of millions of completely illiterate folk. Only those who practice, know how wonderful and rewarding this spiritual Sadhana is!

SOURCE: http://www.babanandsinghsahib.org/maryada/dargahiticket.htm

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!

Justin Ji asked "I know that the way to salvation is meditation on God. But I'm just wondering how is that actually done?"

I am also wondering how people meditate on God.

Let us suppose they know God. Is meditation still needed?

Presuming they do not know God, how meditation on God is possible?

Soul Jyot Ji has referred to an article written by someone.

I am not sure if they understand Baba Nand Singh Ji in reality. In my view, Baba Nand Singh Ji would have never advised Sikhs to do things which the Gurus did not suggest.

Did the Gurus ever suggest Sikhs to recite Sri Guru Granth Sahib, complete 50 paths of Sri Sukhmani Sahib or 250 paths of Jap Ji Sahib in a month? The same is with reciting two paths of Sri Sukhmani Sahib or 10 paths of Jap Ji Sahib daily?

With my best efforts I could not find one instance where the Gurus suggested us a Rosary-Mala of 108 beads a prerequisite to recite any Naam.

Balbir Singh

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Balbir Singh said:

Justin Ji asked "I know that the way to salvation is meditation on God. But I'm just wondering how is that actually done?"

I am also wondering how people meditate on God.

Let us suppose they know God. Is meditation still needed?

Presuming they do not know God, how meditation on God is possible?

Soul Jyot Ji has referred to an article written by someone.

I am not sure if they understand Baba Nand Singh Ji in reality. In my view, Baba Nand Singh Ji would have never advised Sikhs to do things which the Gurus did not suggest.

Did the Gurus ever suggest Sikhs to recite Sri Guru Granth Sahib, complete 50 paths of Sri Sukhmani Sahib or 250 paths of Jap Ji Sahib in a month? The same is with reciting two paths of Sri Sukhmani Sahib or 10 paths of Jap Ji Sahib daily?

With my best efforts I could not find one instance where the Gurus suggested us a Rosary-Mala of 108 beads a prerequisite to recite any Naam.

Balbir Singh

Respected Balbir Singh Ji,

I know there is no proof of this use of numerology anywhere in Sikhism, still a lot of people are doing it. And they recommend it as well.

I used to wonder about this as well. So I actually ,did my research on it. What I understand (I may not be all correct) is that these number methods are based on the calculation of total letters and words used in a particular Bani or in total in Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

I have found that the number of stanzas/letters/words in any bani are very closely related to the Tantric Numerology. e.g. Siri Sukhmani Sahib Ji: 24 Astpaddies, refer to 24 hours of the day, Total number of pages in Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji adds up to 11(1+4+3+3=11) that is supposidely a complete number in numerology.... and so on. Based on these things people have made their own ways of doing things, Like if total number of words in a certain number of a particular bani is total to the words in Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji; they consider both similar, so in their opinion you can do either, the effect will be the same.

Now the phylosophy behind reciting a Bani certain number of times, or reciting Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is to my understanding should be- converting your mind's direction towards Guru/God. If that is happening by doing it using a certain numerology, it is fine; as long as the performer is not indulged in the numbers, one is actually understanding what one is reciting and then, following the teachings of Guru Sahib Ji in the real life.

The nature of human mind is that it has to be taught a certain thing for a number of times as well as for a period of time, everybody's calliber is different. That is the main reason why Guru Sahib Ji has to tell us over and over again on every page about Naam Simran, God's Praises, Examples and what not. The same things are taught to us over and over again, right from the begining to the end in Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. It is done so that we can actually understand and get rid of the duality from our minds.

Same thing is about Nitnem. People recite different Bani at different times of the day, without even knowing what is the meaning of Bani. It is just because somebody told them to do so. But if fortunately the performer understands what he/she is reading and actually live it, does not matter what time the Bani is being read.

In my opinion if this number phylosophy or time phylosophy can make you sit and recite Bani, and it is actually igniting the contemplation of Bani in your mind, and finally leading you to live accordingly, it is not bad. But if you are only indulged in lip-reading, it is not going to take you anywhere, does not matter you do it by counting or otherwise.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
il_sikh said:
WJKK, WJKF!

Justin
justin_lundeen@khalsa.com

you still havnt answered my emails justin, your blog also needs to be updated.

sorry, just had to ask...

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Surinder Cheema Ji!

You wrote "Siri Sukhmani Sahib Ji: 24 Astpaddies, refer to 24 hours of the day"

Still, I did not come across a person doing Paath of Sri Sukhmani Sahib Ji for twenty-four hours of the day. Nor he or she promises to do it for twenty four or (two+four) six times.

Numbers and numerology may be like the worldly religions and theology. Neither counting nor studying that one has ever reached Truth.

Gurdev is singing in ecstasy "kayti-aa ganat nahee veechaar." Japu Ji Sahib - SGGS Ang 5
So many count. They do not contemplate.

Another wonderful Vaak from Guru Raam Daas Ji is this.

"ganat ganai so jalai sansaaraa."
One, who counts, burns (suffers) in the world.

"sahsaa mool na chukai vikaaraa."
Spontaneously from roots imperfections do not finish.

"gurmukh hovai so ganat chukaa-ay sachay sach samaa-idaa." SGGS Ang 1062
One, who turns to Gurmukh, finishes counting, truly merges in Truth.

You wrote "In my opinion if this number phylosophy or time phylosophy can make you sit and recite Bani, and it is actually igniting the contemplation of Bani in your mind, and finally leading you to live accordingly, it is not bad."

The Gurus never suggested us to do Simran counting it.

Perhaps a human being, who spends whole life counting materials, cannot get rid of numbers while searching Truth.

Balbir Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh.
piyarae balbir singh ji,
i agree with you.

secondly i am not sure when the followers of nand singh follow his numbers....are they "meditating" on the NUMBERS or the Gurbani ?? one cannot possibly keep proper count if not paying attention to 1,2,3,4,5 etc..and then there is not compete attention to Gurbani because its flow is interrupted by 1,2,3,4...50 OK STOP !!

Guru ramdass Jia sks us to SAT SAT kar manee...we MUST follow the TEACHINGS of GURBANI as SAT in our LIFE....not wastetime "counting"...leave that to mathematicians/staticians...or just IDLE MINDS who have nothing better to do than count..the TREES while other EAT the fruits

Jarnail Singh gyani

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Balbir Singh said:
Surinder Cheema Ji!

You wrote "Siri Sukhmani Sahib Ji: 24 Astpaddies, refer to 24 hours of the day"

Still, I did not come across a person doing Paath of Sri Sukhmani Sahib Ji for twenty-four hours of the day. Nor he or she promises to do it for twenty four or (two+four) six times.

Numbers and numerology may be like the worldly religions and theology. Neither counting nor studying that one has ever reached Truth.

Gurdev is singing in ecstasy "kayti-aa ganat nahee veechaar." Japu Ji Sahib - SGGS Ang 5
So many count. They do not contemplate.

Another wonderful Vaak from Guru Raam Daas Ji is this.

"ganat ganai so jalai sansaaraa."
One, who counts, burns (suffers) in the world.

"sahsaa mool na chukai vikaaraa."
Spontaneously from roots imperfections do not finish.

"gurmukh hovai so ganat chukaa-ay sachay sach samaa-idaa." SGGS Ang 1062
One, who turns to Gurmukh, finishes counting, truly merges in Truth.

You wrote "In my opinion if this number phylosophy or time phylosophy can make you sit and recite Bani, and it is actually igniting the contemplation of Bani in your mind, and finally leading you to live accordingly, it is not bad."

The Gurus never suggested us to do Simran counting it.

Perhaps a human being, who spends whole life counting materials, cannot get rid of numbers while searching Truth.

Balbir Singh

Respected Veer Balbir Singh Ji,

As I said before I may be wrong. I used to wonder about this as well. But then I tried to find out why people say they use it and does it really work. My research boils down to this: it can be used to start, but it works for only those people who have very strong belief in Bani. If they believe only in Numerology, it may bring some material benefits for them as they are the ones who do it more like lip-reading, there is no spiritual uplift of any kind.

There is neither only one religion in this world nor only one belief. So if something works for a person to start on a rightous path, I do not think it is bad. Take the example of Bhagat Dhanna: Guru Sahib has not recomended Murti Puja anywhere, but his mention is there in Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. We all know that he did stone worship, BUT WITH ONE POINTEDNESS, and was enlightened. Again, I am not recomending stone worship. It all depends how the person percieves things, once he/she is actually starting to follow Guru's teachings.

Take the example of Bhumian chor, he was not ready to stop stealing but he was so truthful to Guru's word and actually did all what Guru Sahib told him to do.

One poitedness is all that matters. Once a person is so lost in what Guru is saying, i tell you nothing else remains. Any body from any religion, one who is a realized person, will not denounce any phylosophy that can put you to a start.

Guru Sahib when talks about ginti ganana and all that, is bewaring us not to get lost into such practices. There are so many people who use the nitnem schedules, how many are the realized souls out of them. Main reason is that they are lost in completing their nitnem everyday, that is all, there is no concentration on what is being read. Exactly same is with number idiology, you get lost in numbers you are lost.

Bani is so powerfull veerji, it turns the toughest around. These numbers and these nitnem styles loose their power once bani reaches into rom rom, provided it is done with one pointedness.

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Surinder Kaur Cheema said:

As I said before I may be wrong. I used to wonder about this as well. But then I tried to find out why people say they use it and does it really work. My research boils down to this: it can be used to start, but it works for only those people who have very strong belief in Bani. If they believe only in Numerology, it may bring some material benefits for them as they are the ones who do it more like lip-reading, there is no spiritual uplift of any kind.

There is neither only one religion in this world nor only one belief. So if something works for a person to start on a rightous path, I do not think it is bad. Take the example of Bhagat Dhanna: Guru Sahib has not recomended Murti Puja anywhere, but his mention is there in Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. We all know that he did stone worship, BUT WITH ONE POINTEDNESS, and was enlightened. Again, I am not recomending stone worship. It all depends how the person percieves things, once he/she is actually starting to follow Guru's teachings.

Take the example of Bhumian chor, he was not ready to stop stealing but he was so truthful to Guru's word and actually did all what Guru Sahib told him to do.

One poitedness is all that matters. Once a person is so lost in what Guru is saying, i tell you nothing else remains. Any body from any religion, one who is a realized person, will not denounce any phylosophy that can put you to a start.

Guru Sahib when talks about ginti ganana and all that, is bewaring us not to get lost into such practices. There are so many people who use the nitnem schedules, how many are the realized souls out of them. Main reason is that they are lost in completing their nitnem everyday, that is all, there is no concentration on what is being read. Exactly same is with number idiology, you get lost in numbers you are lost.

Bani is so powerfull veerji, it turns the toughest around. These numbers and these nitnem styles loose their power once bani reaches into rom rom, provided it is done with one pointedness.

Respected Bhanji Surinder:

I totally subscribe to your views. Only an evolved & enlightened spiritual soul / Mahapurkh, who has done "Naam de Kamai", can truly coach & guide us like a genuine teacher - from personal experience. Others can just talk about it from academic point of view only. WALKING & TALKING the spiritual path are two different issues!

With Devine Love & Blessings.

Harbhajan S. Sangha

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray truth for all and say Satsriakal!
Surinder Cheema Ji!

You wrote "My research boils down to this: it can be used to start, but it works for only those people who have very strong belief in Bani."

I do not know if God has a measuring scale. I feel His Grace just showers.

You also wrote "One poitedness is all that matters."

Please provide a reference from Gurbani. I will be grateful.

Some people are busy with different numbers hoping to reach one-pointedness on a lucky day.

Your sentence "Guru Sahib when talks about ginti ganana and all that, is bewaring us not to get lost into such practices" has impressed me.

Harbhajan S. Sangha Ji!

You wrote "Only an evolved & enlightened spiritual soul / Mahapurkh, who has done "Naam de Kamai", can truly coach & guide us like a genuine teacher - from personal experience."

I hope you have come to know ONE.

You wrote further "Others can just talk about it from academic point of view only. WALKING & TALKING the spiritual path are two different issues!"

The art of living is not coming to know many of them.

Balbir Singh

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Balbir Singh said:
Pray truth for all and say Satsriakal!
Surinder Cheema Ji!

You wrote "My research boils down to this: it can be used to start, but it works for only those people who have very strong belief in Bani."

I do not know if God has a measuring scale. I feel His Grace just showers.

I simply do not want to know what you mean by the measuring tape concept. All I know that any thing works if it is done with strong belief.

And having a strong belief is the most difficult attribute to achieve. To bring this in your heart and mind, you never know what is going to work. Sometimes a person needs only one small incidence that triggers the belief, in some cases it is a book, sometimes it could be something that happened to somebody else; there are endless possibilities. How God’s power is going to work, a common mind cannot perceive.

Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Teg Bahadur Ji says:

gj kI qRws imtI iCnhU mih jb hI rwmu bKwno ]
The elephant's fear was taken away in an instant, as soon as he chanted the Lord's Name.

nwrd khq sunq DR¨A bwirk Bjn mwih lptwno ]
Listening to Naarad's teachings, the child Dhroo was absorbed in deep meditation.

Yes His Grace just showers. But it happens only when Sadhak reaches a certain point, a state of mind. But to get to that point(iCn) lots of sacrifices are needed. The path to that point of time is not easy. So many are struggling to reach there using unlimited means. But again you have to follow the Guru with FULL FAITH. No devotion No achievement.

Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Amar Das Ji says:
rwm rwm sBu ko khY kihAY rwmu n hoie ]

Everyone chants the Lord's Name, Raam, Raam; but just by chanting, the Lord is not obtained.

SGGS Page 491

Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Ram Das Ji says:
syvk isK pUjx siB Awvih siB gwvih hir hir aUqm bwnI ]
All the Sikhs and servants come to worship and adore You; they sing the sublime Bani of the Lord, Har, Har.

gwivAw suixAw iqn kw hir Qwie pwvY ijn siqgur kI AwigAw siq siq kir mwnI ]1]
Their singing and listening is approved by the Lord; they accept the Order of the True Guru as True, totally True. SSGS Page 669

Again He says:
hir dir iqn kI aUqm bwq hY sMqhu hir kQw ijn jnhu jwnI ]
They alone are praised in the Court of the Lord, O Saints, who know and understand the Lord's sermon.
Page 669

Balbir Singh said:
You also wrote "One poitedness is all that matters."

Please provide a reference from Gurbani. I will be grateful.

One pointedness- I do not think you understood what I meant by it, because it is mentioned in Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji many many times. It is the sustained attention towards the Almighty. Or it can be said the focusing of our attention on God ceaselessly. Or un-splitted concentration….One Pointedness is the attribute that is most important on the Spiritual path.

Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Arjun Dev Ji says:
iek min eyku iDAweIAY mn kI lwih BrWiq ]
With one-pointed mind, meditate on the One Lord, by doing so all the doubts of your mind will be dispelled. SGGS Page 46

Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Amar Das Ji says:

ey mn hir jI iDAwie qU iek min iek iciq Bwie ]
O mind, meditate on the Dear Lord, with single-minded conscious concentration. SSGS Page 653

Dhan Dhan Bhatt Bhikha Ji saya:
sic scu jwxIAY iek icqih ilv lwvY ]
In truth, the True Lord is recognized and realized, when one is lovingly attuned to Him, with one-pointed consciousness. SGGS Page 1395

A lot has been said about the controlling of our wandering mind: what else does it mean to you other than one pointedness. Like:

Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Arjun Dev Ji says:
Dwvq mnu rwKY iek Twie ]
Keep your wandering mind restrained in one place. SGGS Page 299

Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Nanak Dev Ji says:
mnUAw n folY gurmuiK bUJY Dwvqu vrij rhwey ]
His mind does not waver; as Gurmukh, he understands. He restrains it from wandering out. SGGS Page 1012

A lot of devotion is needed on this path. Guru Ji says

hau KVI inhwlI pMDu mqu mUM sjxu Awvey ]
I stand by the side of the road, waiting for You; O my Friend, I hope that You will come.

ko Awix imlwvY Aju mY ipru myil imlwvey ]
If only someone would come today and unite me in Union with my Beloved.

hau jIau krI iqs ivtau cau KMnIAY jo mY iprI idKwvey ]
I would cut my living body into four pieces for anyone who shows me my Beloved.

nwnk hir hoie dieAwlu qW guru pUrw mylwvey ]5]
O Nanak, when the Lord becomes merciful, then He leads us to meet the Perfect Guru.

ijnI siqguru mMinAW hau iqn ky lwgau pwie ]
I touch the feet of those who believe in and obey the True Guru.

nwnku qw kw dwsu hY ij Anidnu rhY ilv lwie ]6]

Nanak is the slave of those who, night and day, remain lovingly attuned to the Lord.

Then:
BweI ry mIqu krhu pRBu soie ]
O Siblings of Destiny, make God your Friend.

Then:
sdw sdw AwrwDIAY idnu ivsrhu nhI rwiq ]3]
Forever and ever, worship and adore Him. Day and night, do not forget Him. ||3||

Then:
dyKY suxY hdUir sd Git Git bRhmu rivMdu ]
Seeing and hearing, He is always close at hand. In each and every heart, God is pervading.

This path is not that easy as it sounds to many. You have surrender totally by body and mind; and burn your ego:

qnu mnu kwit kwit sBu ArpI ivic AgnI Awpu jlweI ]

I Alologise if it is hurting your faith but this is all Guru's teachings. Also I apologise if any double negatives of mine confused anybody. It only meant that we should not get lost in countings. If it made you laugh at me that is great, at least you laughed.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Surinder Ji!

Thanks for referring wonderful Vaaks from the Gurus. Your first reference about one-pointedness is this.

The conforming line before this Vaak is here.

ijsu pyKq iklivK ihrih min qin hovY sWiq ]
"jis paykhat kilvikh hireh man tan hovai saaNt."
Watching that sins vanish from mind, body comes to rest.

"ik man ayk Dhi-aa-ee-ai man kee laahi bharaaNt." SGGS Ang 47-4
Peerless mind meditates ONE dispelling doubt of mind.

In my experience the most relevant part here is jis paykhat (watching that). The peerless state of mind is the result of it, not the one-pointedness that matters all.

Let us come to your next example ey mn hir jI iDAwie qU iek min iek iciq Bwie ]

Guru Amar Das Ji is again praising here the contemplation on Hari that pleases mind and intellect.

Surprising is your suggestion to reach iek min iek iciq by one-pointedness of the mind (iek min iek iciq). It is something like asking someone to touch the tip of an index finger with the same tip.

I am hearty thankful for your company on this forum and extending the great Satsang.

Balbir Singh

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Balbir Singh said:
"ik man ayk Dhi-aa-ee-ai man kee laahi bharaaNt." SGGS Ang 47-4
Peerless mind meditates ONE dispelling doubt of mind.

In my experience the most relevant part here is jis paykhat (watching that). The peerless state of mind is the result of it, not the one-pointedness that matters all.

With due respect, Jis paykhat-Seeing God: Now can you tell me how can you see/feel God without any one pointed struggle - Devotion to One and only One, Meditation on One and only One, Surrender to One and only One, Vairaag for One and only One.......

ijsu pyKq iklivK ihrih, min qin hovY sWiq ] iek min eyku iDAweIAy mn kI lwih BrWiq ]
The translation that you are doing is not that way: It simply says By seeing Whom, your sins are eradicated and your mind and body comes to peace; you should do His Simran by stopping the useless wandering of your mind(by bringing it to One God). Real Simran can only be done by placing your mind on one God. Yes Mental Peace comes after God Realization.

Yes it happens with God's grace only, but His grace comes with some effort of the human mind. As Guru Sahib says:

mn qUM joiq srUpu hY Awpxw mUlu pCwxu ]

If it was supposed to just happen, Guru Sahib or other Prophets did not have to go through all, and did not have to leave us with Bani da Khazana and all that.

Without residing under Guru/God's shelter with unshakable faith nothing happens. This is one pointed devotion.

I know Veer Balbir Singh Ji, you are still not going to agree with this. But this is the truth. This is posted for those who are looking for the right translations.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Respected Sadh Sangat Ji,

Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Angad Dev Ji says
ijsu pyKq iklivK ihrih, min qin hovY sWiq ] iek min eyku iDAweIAy mn kI lwih BrWiq ] SGGS Page 47

By seeing Whom(God), your sins are eradicated and your mind and body comes to peace; you should do His Simran by stopping the useless wandering of your mind(by bringing it to One God), by doing His Simran with one pointed Devotion(through mn and surq) all your doudts will be removed.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Surinder Ji!

Some understand Guru's words 'Jis paykhat' seeing God. This would explain that One sees God first and then by seeing God, he reaches one-pointedness.
This is contradictory to that what one writes, i.e., we need one-pointedness first to see God. God is not 'Jis' in any language, also among enlightened persons.

This is a good query "Now can you tell me how can you see/feel God without any one pointed struggle"

One does not realize God by one-pointed struggle. One realizes God by True Simran received by the Grace of HIM through the Satguru. Devotion, Meditation, Surrendering and Vairaag are its out turns.

Quote "you should do His Simran by stopping the useless wandering of your mind(by bringing it to One God)."

I hope we remember the Guru's words "sochai soch na hova-ee jay sochee lakh vaar." SGGS Ang 1

Simran is not being busy stopping the useless wandering of your mind(by bringing it to One God).

Quote "Yes Mental Peace comes after God Realization."

I feel Mental Peace comes along with True Simran.

Quote "Yes it happens with God's grace only, but His grace comes with some effort of the human mind."

It looks like ego is still trying to play hide and seek game. Without some effort of the human mind how is it possible for ego to win God.

This is interesting to read this "If it was supposed to just happen, Guru Sahib or other Prophets did not have to go through all, and did not have to leave us with Bani da Khazana and all that."

I have seen millions of people carrying a tap under the arm and wondering why they are thirsty.

Quote "Without residing under Guru/God's shelter with unshakable faith nothing happens. This is one pointed devotion."

Please do not leave HIS Shelter, one-pointed devotion and let your faith shake. However, let people come to know God first.

I have often heard preachers reaching one-pointedness to realize God. I will enjoy knowing whose mind has ever followed a preacher.

Balbir Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM