• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Meat And Eggs

Jul 30, 2004
world
Re: Meat and eggs.

Gurfateh

as per sgpc code it is OK to eat beef.Das will verfy later what Baba Virsa Singh Ji say as many of his follwoers and converts are East Eurpian or jews and for them beef is staple diet.

Nirankaris in initial days did kill cows and ate beef to prove that they are not Hindus but Sikh.Gazzate of Britishers and Ranjit Singh's time account can be refered.

ceo_nikka

SPNer
Mar 29, 2006

Some interesting answers to such questions..
Download:
http://mrsikhnet.com/MP3Player/Educ...h/1 - Questions and Answers - Jan 18 1984.mp3

Idealy my personal belief these questions about type of food looks so useless. If you really want to do simran in "ik chit" mode. Then these delicacies looks so secondary.

Atleast I don't know any non-veg eater, who spend any good time with Guru. All I see is that some people want to eat it they know where to found the loopwholes.

Wisdom of our Guru's is about something much more important then to describe receipes to foods.

Listen to the attached audio.

-Mandeep Singh

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

akamjballar said:
Randip, I don't agree with you. If you or your fmily are Amridhari's then you should not be eating meat. That's my view, eating flesh of other animals without the need to.

See this is the Hankaar I talk about that vegatarians have I talk about........who are you to judge what is alive and what is not?

Read the article on fools wrangling over flesh....there is no distinction between, animal, vegetable and mineral.....only human life.

If you are Amritdhari, you can eat Jhatka......its not for you or anyone else to go around changing Sikhi because you don't agree with another person's path.

ceo_nikka said:
Atleast I don't know any non-veg eater, who spend any good time with Guru. All I see is that some people want to eat it they know where to found the loopwholes.

Pure egotism and nonsense. :p

Loopholes...what loopholes....pelase describesthese loopholes?.....:confused:

The only loopholes I have seen is some egotistical vegetarians imposing their views on Jhatka eaters. :u):

Me personally....I don't drink, I don't smoke......yet I meet vegetarians everyday who drink, smoke, obsessed with sex, and materialism.....as well as massive ego's.

This is the argument our Guru's have made....time and again.....your diet has nothing to do with spirituality.....it is an individual choice....

btw....that mp3 is Sant Mat and not mainstream Sikhism......regards.

Last edited:

ceo_nikka

SPNer
Mar 29, 2006

Thanks veerji for pointing my non-sense. And I met the great saint.

Firstly, I NO-WAY meant that vegiterians are great SAINTs. You have concluded that for yourself.

Secondly, and regarding the "mainstream sikhi" and "otherwise" only thing i would like tell you if you don't know... the Sikhs that "Shri Singh Sahib" (title give to this person by no less than Akal Takhat) has brought to fold of sikhi are much more dedicated and devoted to the cause of sikhi.
Where people like us are still debating,what to eat? why amrit "chakko"?whether desh granth has something erotic?? et cetra. These guru pyaara spend there life in naam simran, vaad chakan, gurmatt prachar and offer service to community.

So its not a question of veg or non-veg (thats useless debate, if you want to do something you will routes).
What is more important as a Sikh is where are you heading for or more appropriatly where you want to go?

So eat whatever you feel is "healthy" and you are sure that will no way obstruct in mediating on "Naam".

PS: I bet you try "one chicken leg tonight" or may be "4-5 peices alloo de prantha with butter", and lets see if you can wake up at amritvale even recite gurbani, forget abt "Judna".

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh

Das recomends Brother ceo nikka Ji to visit Damdam Sahib and near to it we have headquertet of Budhadal.He can stay there and see Nihungs eating Mahaprasad ,yet waking up early in morning.

Then das can give you an example of Principal Surjet Singh Ji of Delhi ( www.gurbaniguru.org
)

He wakes up at amrit Wela.

when it coms to getting united or Jurhna.Well it is in hand of Akal.

If we say that Das will be united With Akal)by not eating meat and waking up early in morning by his efforts.Das will be reborn.it is bounbd to happen.Whenever we say that i do or you do or he do,in all the cases to get the result of self deeds we have to get reborn.

Only if duja bhav is removed and God only as a doer is seen that is state of Salvation.Else state of Saheed or rebirth as Khalsa can be got.So useless to be veggi or wake up morning til Akal does not unite and Akal is not bound by any rule but self will to unit anyone with Akal's self.

Gurfateh

Das is sorry exact adderss is.

http://www.gurbaniguru.com/

Last edited:

ceo_nikka

SPNer
Mar 29, 2006

Well veerji, as Guru Nanak Dev Ji clarified by example (in kuruskshetra walli sakhi), that by just eating (or not eating) a particular kind of food, or on particular day is not going to bring devotion.

Same holds true here.

I believe it's best in interest of an individual to make his/her own choice. This debate is never ending but a Sikh should not get confused in anyway.

Purpose of this human life is to develop love and devotion for Waheguru & also its creation. Something that has to be killed is EGO.

So har ik "waheguru da banda" eh apan decision laye, kee whatever I eat is it hindering in anyway in achieving the real goal. Then it will much easier to see things.

Otherwise brothers/sisters you can keep roaming around on these forums, and only thing you will get back is more confusion.

PS: there is another technique which Management students may be aware of. Do a SWOT analysis for yourself!! :)

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

ceo_nikka said:
PS: I bet you try "one chicken leg tonight" or may be "4-5 peices alloo de prantha with butter", and lets see if you can wake up at amritvale even recite gurbani, forget abt "Judna".

If I start eating alhu walay parontay butter I will end up looking like those fat masands you see driving mercedes's and exceedingly long beards and skinny arms and legs.:u):

I would rather have a balanced diet of fresh vegetables some meat/fish/eggs and fruit etc to maintain my body and mind. This ensures I am able to get up early, and not only meditate and maintain my Piri side, but also exercise to maintain my body and my Miri side.

Like I said....diet doesn't come into Sikhiism.......it is about personal coice and maintaining mind and body at optimum levels.

ceo_nikka said:
Well veerji, as Guru Nanak Dev Ji clarified by example (in kuruskshetra walli sakhi), that by just eating (or not eating) a particular kind of food, or on particular day is not going to bring devotion.

:)
Looks like you are trying to find a "loop-hole" :whisling:

For me the problem is not whether we can or cannot eat meat.....but the fact that such a great compilation of spiritual work with all the great philosophies of the world, set to raga and poetry and prose has been reduced down to a restraunt menu.........I don't know about you, but I find that particularly annoying. We have tackled that issue in depth here:

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/essays-on-sikhism/8828-fools-who-wrangle-over-flesh.html

Last edited:

ceo_nikka

SPNer
Mar 29, 2006

Ok Veerji.

And if it is so good for health and
you stand by what you said.

Then why not request Gurdwara Sahib in your respective area to start serving fresh chicken along with Maha dee dal in langar???
And let's draft a letter which can be send to Shri Akal Takht to start the same at Shri Harmandir Sahib and other panthic gurdwaras.

Also as per "balanced diet" theory do you recommend this to everybody on this forum, to start having it?

PS: In US (& western world), second leading cause of death is Colon cancer, caused by high intake of Beaf/Pork/Chicken. South Asian's needs to catch up :)

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004

S: In US (& western world), second leading cause of death is Colon cancer, caused by high intake of Beaf/Pork/Chicken. South Asian's needs to catch up
smile.gif

Dear Friend

Meat Does not Cause Colon Cancer . It is scientifically Wrong statement .

Instead High fat Diet especially from Animal Source is a RISK FACTOR of colon Cancer nad this is where Meat comes into picture But dont forget the Milk and all milk products are animal source of Fat.

Instead sedentry or inactive Life style is Bigger risk , beside Smoking, Alcohol, Previous history of Bowel disease, Family History , genetic factor .

he American Cancer Society recommends choosing most of your foods from plant sources( * It doesnot Include Butter , Desi Ghee which is animal source *), eating at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day and limiting the amount of high-fat foods you eat.

Thanks

Jatinder Singh

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

ceo_nikka said:
Ok Veerji.

And if it is so good for health and
you stand by what you said.

Then why not request Gurdwara Sahib in your respective area to start serving fresh chicken along with Maha dee dal in langar???
And let's draft a letter which can be send to Shri Akal Takht to start the same at Shri Harmandir Sahib and other panthic gurdwaras.

Because my friend I believe in compromise and not upsetting my fellow Sikh vegetarian brothers and sisters. Wheras I am willing to compromise on that front........you seem unable and unwilling. That to me sounds of pure Krodha and Hankaar.

Vegetarian food in langaar is mutually acceptable.

ceo_nikka said:
Also as per "balanced diet" theory do you recommend this to everybody on this forum, to start having it?

No...that is the diet that suits me. It is for everyone to find a diet which makes them healthy mentally and physically. Basically, what the Sri Guru Guru Granth Sahib says.

ceo_nikka said:
PS: In US (& western world), second leading cause of death is Colon cancer, caused by high intake of Beaf/Pork/Chicken. South Asian's needs to catch up :)

Wrong.

Excessive eating of fatty meat and fat in general causes that. Also, lacking fibre in diet causes that.

I could also say that eating excessive amounts of ghee, butter, and full fat milk with nuts in it is the main cause of coronary problems amongst Asians from the sub continent. :whisling:

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK

Sat Sri Akal!

Brothers and Sisters.

Once again we are caught doing exactly what Guru tells us not to do namely argue about eating meat. My stance, eat meat or don't eat meat it is your choice, although it is NOT forbiden in Sikhi.

I want to touch on this quite disturbing statement from Ceo Nikka Ji:

'Secondly, and regarding the "mainstream sikhi" and "otherwise" only thing i would like tell you if you don't know... the Sikhs that "Shri Singh Sahib" (title give to this person by no less than Akal Takhat) has brought to fold of sikhi are much more dedicated and devoted to the cause of sikhi.'

This raises all sorts of questions, but perhaps the most important one being ' ...much more dedicated and devoted to the cause of sikhi' what does this mean?

Should a Sikh be dedicated to Sikhi, or dedicated to God?
Should a Sikh care what happens to Sikhi, or care about God?
Is it a sign of ego for a Sikh to become famous and strive for Sikhi instead of striving for God?

What is more important to a Sikh? That others convert to Sikhi, or that we all find God(no matter which way) What is more important the Sikh religion, or God?

Personaly I really don't care about the Sikh faith, I don't mind if there where only 100 Sikhs in the world, for sure there are perhaps only 1 or 2 true GurSikhs in the world anyway, Heh and I don't know either of them.

The way of Sikhi is the hard, to do as God commands 24/7! Sheessh man that is hard, so no wonder many of us get caught up in maya and argue about *shrug* eating meat(amongst other things). Guru tells us to seek out the company of the sadht sangat. Well I ask then where is it, show me these true Sikhs, show me the Sikhs that are not embrioled in ego, that do not court fame and power, that are not dismisive of others that struggle, that have shiny bright eys and smiling faces, not because they percive them selves to be better or more spiritual but because they can see God in all.

Nope they are not easy to find, nope Sikhi is the hard way, and made harder by the arguing. So I say eat meat or don't eat meat, that is up to you, but wheter you do or you don't, we are all part of God and should strive to remember that first, so how can one person say no it is wrong, and another say no it is right, if we are all the same?

El D

SPNer
Sep 6, 2006

Now let add a little something to this thread. When the one God created us he gave us the most perfect of teeth. Carnivorous teeth infact. teeth can actually chew both vegetarian and meat dietry inputs. Both types of sustainence are equal in their pros and cons. if you choose either of them for your meals be greatful that the one God has provided them for you. these implications that it is sinful to eat meat are only their due to the jainists. However. it is my advice to you to make sure that the meat you eat is not pork. how can you possibly contemplate a meal (swine) knowing that that animal actually wallows in and eats its own excrement! the meat that you eat should be blessed appropriately and a small prayer should be made before consumption. Feeling guilty when thinking about eating meat is nonsensical. instead think of all the other sins that we are committing on a daily basis and work on correcting ourselves and finding the true path is what we should and really must be doing. Those that say killing animals is far worse than eating veg. let me tell you that plants also have life and are living organisms. thats why they are called "plant life". to say that they dont just proves ignorance.
dont get me wrong. i am not having a dig at any body. i am just stating facts.

akamjballar just go for it!!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Nothing wrong with eating pork now a days... Theres is no MAD PORK disease. Pork meat is not the same as the jewish and islamic dogmas present it to be. In fact Islam has copied many of the jewish rituals. Like animal sacrifice - Halal & Kosher and circumcision- human mutilation. The latter shows that the god they worship/serve is an imperfect one, hence made a mistake by giving a man the foreskin,unlike ONE TRUE PERFECT GOD FOR ALL, which needs none of the above.

Tejwant

El D

SPNer
Sep 6, 2006

Actually, if you went out or researched pig farming anywhere in the world you would draw the conclusion that it has not changed at all over the last 2000 years or so. pigs are still left to wallow in their own excrement. they do tend to eat it on a regular basis, and the majority of pigs are immune to the types of diseases that they may have contracted back in the days because their internal system has built up a barrier. I am not or have not in any way suggested that pork will or can make you ill. i have simply stated that you should refrain from eating those types of animal that eat shit and prefer to eat shit( their own shit).
As far as Islam taking from the Jews, i cannot deny that to be fact. infact if you studied Islam you would come to realise that Islam is a continuation of Judaism. Naturally you would get some sort of similarities in that case wouldnt you?. To say that circumsising is actually proving that you serve or worship a lesser God just proves your ignorance. In the Qur'an and the Torah the words of the one God are clear in stating that he who is circumsised is saved from diseas and therefor clean in the eyes of God.
Fact: any male that is circumsised has a 1 in 2.224 million of a chance of contracting a sexually transmitted disease.
Fact: of approximately 3 million African males tested for HIV Aids, 67% proved to be negative even though they had unprotected sex with their wives and that their wives had HIV already. These were Muslim males who had been circumsised.

This is all besides the point anyway.

The fact still remains that pork has not gotten any cleaner since the revelation of the Torah, Bible or Qur'an. In the U.K a documented case was conducted on a pig farm in Essex where the farmer used to get paid by local gangsters to get rid of dead bodies. He used to feed them to his pigs!.
stick to the original thread, this aint about whose God is greater its just about eating meat.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004

i have simply stated that you should refrain from eating those types of animal that eat shit and prefer to eat shit( their own shit).

should we alos refrain from eating plants that eat SHIT in FORM of MANURE!!

Fact: any male that is circumsised has a 1 in 2.224 million of a chance of contracting a sexually transmitted disease.
Fact: of approximately 3 million African males tested for HIV Aids, 67% proved to be negative even though they had unprotected sex with their wives and that their wives had HIV already. These were Muslim males who had been circumsised.

Please Give refernces of Above study in some international Journal and dont bother giving it if it sfrom your own indigenous University .as I might help many .

As I am Medical Professional So this topic intersted me . So I searched in medical journals.and to my surprise I found that there studies which shows Positive impact of Circumcision in preventing AIDS but still there are many other studies which infer it as biased or incorect view . So the debate is still on .

I just want to mention here in sikhism nothing isprohibited because it is part of other religion so whether it is circumcsion , if it proves to be helpful in high endemic HIV Areas then it can be practiced but unfortunately circumcsion has been opoosed medically due t many reason

If interested can read this topic

CircInfo.org

Thanks

Jatinder Singh

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

das thinks that Circumsention(sunnat) was made to refrin male from commiting adultary.

If a person with Sunnat commits badkari(adultary) then that sunnat is useless.

If institution of marrige is kept and as per Shariya or Islamic law then there will be no Sexualt tranmitted decese or HIV transmission.

Saying that Sunnat helps to protect from punishment Allah gives on badkari via STD or AIDS is insult to Sunnat and Islam both.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK

VaheguruSeekr said:
Nothing wrong with eating pork now a days... Theres is no MAD PORK disease. Pork meat is not the same as the jewish and islamic dogmas present it to be. In fact Islam has copied many of the jewish rituals. Like animal sacrifice - Halal & Kosher and circumcision- human mutilation. The latter shows that the god they worship/serve is an imperfect one, hence made a mistake by giving a man the foreskin,unlike ONE TRUE PERFECT GOD FOR ALL, which needs none of the above.

Tejwant

Sorry are you sugesting that there are more than one God?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM