• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Marrying A Girl Wearing A Turban

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
What means hirsutism to you?

Let me add a nice anecdote even if I get at little distract from the actual topic.

I´m a physican and once there was a female patient on my ward that one of my male colleagues examinated. He add to his report that she had hirsutism. Some days later i happened to examine her again, because she didn´t feel well and he wasn´t there... The only thing that i recognised was that she was unshaven, but far from hirsutism. She was a totally average-hairy woman.
The females colleagues upon us mocked him a bit for this. :)

I mean men today are so used to perfectly waxed women that they totally forget how "real" women naturally look like.
That's quite interesting!
Well, what I was actually refering to was unibrow and mustache...
What about marrying a girl with a unibrow, mustache and turban?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
svea80 -- Wahoo!!

Tell them like it is. Hirsuitism is actually a very rare genetic condition. Glad as a physician you are on top of the knowledge base. It is amazing how many doctors today can't treat a patient without a computer connection.

Wahoo ji!

Apr 4, 2007
That's quite interesting!
Well, what I was actually refering to was unibrow and mustache...
What about marrying a girl with a unibrow, mustache and turban?

just this weekend i met a married woman with a beard and turban... she was smiling constantly, and seemed extremely happy to me.

just because someone doesn't fit your standard of beauty doesn't mean someone else doesn't love them.

after all, the goal if marriage for sikhs is to be ek jot do murti (one soul in two bodies). so we should be seeking beauty of the soul, not just the body.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
just this weekend i met a married woman with a beard and turban... she was smiling constantly, and seemed extremely happy to me.

just because someone doesn't fit your standard of beauty doesn't mean someone else doesn't love them.

after all, the goal if marriage for sikhs is to be ek jot do murti (one soul in two bodies). so we should be seeking beauty of the soul, not just the body.

growth of beard is unatuaral among women

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
So, we kno that one of the causes for facial hair in women, is a hormonal imbalance (a medical condition) BUT even if a women was to take some sort of hormone shot or something to correct this, there is no guarantee that the hair that has already formed will fall out.
If it doesnt, then what? The "medical" excuses can not be used,and she is still "stuck" with this facial hair.

Honestly, i feel that sometimes people like to use the "medical" excuse in order to push their sikhi to the side without feeling guilty.
and Kds1980.... please read svea00 ji's little story and the posts that follwed.
Hair growth is natural...just because the media shows super thin women, with virtually no hair anywhere on their body, it doesn't mean that thats the truth. It just means they gotta spend endless hours, dieting, styling their hair, removing any unwanted hair ( which might i add can be super painful) just to meet the media's standards of "beauty"..us singhnis just gotta jap naam the purest, and most beautiful of all :)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Jios

I think Bhagat ji brought up the matter of a unibrow, a mustache and a turban precisely to get us going the way we are.

Hirsutism is more common within certain cultural groups that tended a century or more ago to be geographically isolated. The genetic pool was not as diverse, making the condition more common. With more travel, migration around the world, and intermingling of cultures, the gene is not so prevalent. The genetic pool becomes more diverse and the condition becomes less obvious. An example would be certain parts of Southern Italy, where there are photos of women in the 19th Century who had beards - real beards -- long ones. Nowadays you don't see that. But another aspect of hirsutism, which by the way affects both women and men, is excessive body hair on the chest and back. Excessive is a relative term.

So Bhagat ji, you have had your fun and I get therefore to continue my lecture. Can't help myself. You can tell me to :shutup:.

All due respect!

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Jios

I think Bhagat ji brought up the matter of a unibrow, a mustache and a turban precisely to get us going the way we are.

Hirsutism is more common within certain cultural groups that tended a century or more ago to be geographically isolated. The genetic pool was not as diverse, making the condition more common. With more travel, migration around the world, and intermingling of cultures, the gene is not so prevalent. The genetic pool becomes more diverse and the condition becomes less obvious. An example would be certain parts of Southern Italy, where there are photos of women in the 19th Century who had beards - real beards -- long ones. Nowadays you don't see that. But another aspect of hirsutism, which by the way affects both women and men, is excessive body hair on the chest and back. Excessive is a relative term.

So Bhagat ji, you have had your fun and I get therefore to continue my lecture. Can't help myself. You can tell me to :shutup:.

All due respect!
I think u mightve taken me the wrong way. I just wanted to see what people thought. You can continue if you have more things to say... :up:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

did she have a long beard or just excessive hair?
It makes me shiver thinking about a women with a long beard.. :eek:
But youre right my standards of beauty are different and I am hoping that they will change. :wah:

Apr 4, 2007
did she have a long beard or just excessive hair?
It makes me shiver thinking about a women with a long beard.. :eek:
But youre right my standards of beauty are different and I am hoping that they will change. :wah:

more than a few stray hairs, but less than a man's long beard. something like the first beard of an adolescent male.

and as was previously stated, possibly a hormone imbalance.

but she did lovely kirtan, so i guess it doesn't matter much about the hair. :)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
So, we kno that one of the causes for facial hair in women, is a hormonal imbalance (a medical condition) BUT even if a women was to take some sort of hormone shot or something to correct this, there is no guarantee that the hair that has already formed will fall out.
If it doesnt, then what? The "medical" excuses can not be used,and she is still "stuck" with this facial hair.

Honestly, i feel that sometimes people like to use the "medical" excuse in order to push their sikhi to the side without feeling guilty.
and Kds1980.... please read svea00 ji's little story and the posts that follwed.
Hair growth is natural...just because the media shows super thin women, with virtually no hair anywhere on their body, it doesn't mean that thats the truth. It just means they gotta spend endless hours, dieting, styling their hair, removing any unwanted hair ( which might i add can be super painful) just to meet the media's standards of "beauty"..us singhnis just gotta jap naam the purest, and most beautiful of all :)

Dear truthseeker

I have already read that story.I don't need to look at media I am from a sikh family where hardly any women visited beauty parlour and let me tell you they as beautiful (may be more than beauty parlour going women).Girls growing moutachue and beard is the concept which I read only on sikh sites.So I cannot beleive its natural I beleive its just pushing sikhi to extreme.

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Dear truthseeker

I have already read that story.I don't need to look at media I am from a sikh family where hardly any women visited beauty parlour and let me tell you they as beautiful (may be more than beauty parlour going women).Girls growing moutachue and beard is the concept which I read only on sikh sites.So I cannot beleive its natural I beleive its just pushing sikhi to extreme.

I'm on the side of KDS ji.... He sums up my views as well nicely.

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Dear truthseeker

Maybe the reason that its only spoken about on sikh sites is because to other women, it doesnt make a difference whether they have it or not because they will simply just remove it. In a Sikh women's case, the solution is not so simple.

Apr 4, 2007
Dear truthseeker

i agree, i don't think it's a common condition at all and i think people make a big deal about it to try to make it seem OK to do their eyebrows, etc.

i have two black hairs on my chin, i wonder if that counts as a beard for this discussion. :}{}{}:

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
i just feel that ok after all is done and said, if a girl has facial hair she has facial hair, and hopefully she is able to live with it. Hair is hair, i dont know how many times that has to be said for everyone to accept it as truth.
If its a hormonal imbalance, then of course is always good to go check it out..and make sure her body is functioning properly and all. But i just dont know what will happen to the hair thats has already grown once the treatment is complete. If the facial hair doesn't fall out after the treatment..then isnt the girl in the same position as before? yes, ok now her hormones are incheck, but she still has facial hair. and THIS is where ( i feel) Sikhi comes into play. At this point....a hair is a hair is a hair, and it should not be removed by any means.

i agree, i don't think it's a common condition at all and i think people make a big deal about it to try to make it seem OK to do their eyebrows, etc.

i have two black hairs on my chin, i wonder if that counts as a beard for this discussion. :}{}{}:

hehe bhenji you are pretty funny.
p.s. i got a few more than two myself :)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
i just feel that ok after all is done and said, if a girl has facial hair she has facial hair, and hopefully she is able to live with it. Hair is hair, i dont know how many times that has to be said for everyone to accept it as truth.
If its a hormonal imbalance, then of course is always good to go check it out..and make sure her body is functioning properly and all. But i just dont know what will happen to the hair thats has already grown once the treatment is complete. If the facial hair doesn't fall out after the treatment..then isnt the girl in the same position as before? yes, ok now her hormones are incheck, but she still has facial hair. and THIS is where ( i feel) Sikhi comes into play. At this point....a hair is a hair is a hair, and it should not be removed by any means.

hehe bhenji you are pretty funny.
p.s. i got a few more than two myself :)

I disagree with it .If facial hair is because of hormonal imbalance then there is nothing wrong in removing it.its just going to extreme

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, everyone, I am trusting this finds everyone well and good!
We have some interesting situations that are evidently vexing people's minds. Let us see what we can do to put upset minds at ease, with regards the turban, flowing beard, hair, and all related things like these.

First of all let us each remember that the most important, intimate, and the most permanent relationship is the one you have in your heart with God and Guru. So, once you remember this, you are on your way towards a much easier time of things.

We are very, very fortunate- we have been given some wonderful things! Guru Gobind Singh Ji has given us priceless gifts of kesh, kara, kanga, kachera and kirpan, which are the outward items of the inner gifts. We have Siri Guru Granth Sahib, Nam Simran, the Bani and Bana, we have each other, the entire world to live in, and many opportunities to do Sewa every day; not just for each other but also for everyone. When you remember these things, you will soon see that perhaps when a girl prefers a man with no beard, then that should say something about her values, and when a man is discriminated against simply becasue he keeps his beard then that says something about those who are being discriminatory against him. If you think about it, perhaps time has been saved- would the man really wish to work for someone who has that discriminatory attitude? Keeping the beard, turban and the Five K's will ultimately not work against you- they will keep you out of more trouble than they would ever get you into. Regarding finding suitable marriage partners, first, review your relationship with God and Guru and keep it in your mind and heart. If you maintain this, then finding someone who is of like mind and heart is that much easier!
Wahe Guru,
Kulwant

Rani Sandhu

SPNer
Feb 7, 2009
Toronto
Well to me, its a matter of education and how much you know about sikhi....personally, it all depends how you carry yourself....I mean I have seen guys that wear a paag..but they don't know the meaning of paag...they smoke and drink...it is totaly wrong....if you cant respect or handle a paag..dont wear it...don't pretend to be something that you are not.........and on top of that their "GAY" walk with lose pants..lol I mean give me a break...it is so unattractive....on top of that you wear a paag.....its like a disrespect to the paag....I tell ppl on their face......but they again...epsecially the young generation...it all depends on the type of environment or the type of ppl they hang out with.........make friends that respect you for who you are...not the ones that lead you to a path of missery

ONLY wear it if you know why you are wearing it...what it represents and how you can carry it....

And Amerik Ji....I am sure you'll find some1 that will accept you for who you are.....
** I personaly would marry a guy with a paag...ONLY if he knows how to carry his paag....and what it represents.....**

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM