• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Marrying A Girl Wearing A Turban

Joginder Singh Foley

Writer
SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Stoke On Trent
This sikh would have no problem marring a sikh sister who wears a turban as it shows that she is making a real commitment to sikhi and i have seen both punjabi and gora sisters wearing turbans and that is what i am looking for in a wife, Shes gotta be a good mother, Shes gotta be inteligent and above all shes gotta be a good SIKH.

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
I am already married and I am very happy right now because my husband just said he'd like to start letting his hair and beard grow. I think he'll be even more beautiful than he already is -- and that's REALLY beautiful!!!!!

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
chd3.jpg

Sikh women participate in a scooter rally organised by various Sikh bodies in protest against wearing of helmets made compulsory for women at the Chandigarh- Mohali barrier on Thursday.
— Tribune photo by Manoj Mahajan

Apr 4, 2007
I've only seen western women wear turbans... I've never seen the sisters in India with turbans - just chunni.

Why?

apparently, in india people think turbans are "unfeminine" or something. there's been a couple of topics discussing it. i think that in the west, women don't feel quite as restricted to traditional ideas of "femininity" - whatever that means.

a lot of Sikh women of indian origin wear dastaars in the west, more in canada than in the US, i think. it's certainly not unheard of. it may not be common, but it's catching on among the young generation.

Apr 4, 2007
How do people react to you in dastaar?
do you wear a scarf with it?
Do you wear makeup or earrings?

well, they don't run after me shouting insults and carrying big sticks or anything. :)

actually, people react pretty normally to it. occasionally i get a complement on it... i've been told by one african american woman that i looked like a queen. :D i told her that it was a crown in my faith, and thanked her.

i wear a chunni over it when i go to gurdwara, or if i'm wearing a nice salwar suit or something. usually with jeans i just wear the dastaar alone.

i don't wear makeup or earrings... piercings are not allowed per rehat maryada, and my husband prefers me without makeup, so i'm happy not to have to bother with all that anymore. :)

AmbarDhara

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
page1.7.jpg

Guru Asra Mohali. A student recieving an award.

page1.5.jpg

A girl in Dastaar - participating in fashion show contest.

page1.6.jpg

another girl in dastaar recieving a prize.

page1.2.jpg

little girls and boys in dastaar (guruasraamuhali).

svea00

SPN Sewadaar
SPNer
Feb 3, 2008
I haven´t thought about marrige or who to marry so far, but I think I`would marry a sardar with dastar and floating beard. Though I´m not a sikh. I don´t think that being natural makes someone unattractive on the contrary... personally I´don´t like these "metrosexual" or pretty pimped guys at all. But fysical attraction isn´t that important at all I guess. More sharing your live with someone you have both a good friendship and unlimited mutual trust and understanding. Someone you can talk and laugh with.
I consider men/women brought up in the western part of the world, but still wearing a dastar and showing proudly their believes and resisting the surrounding pressure of fitting-in, to be truthfull, caring and persistent... sounds like a good husband to me...
...although I´m aware that a "gursikh" sardar propably wouldn´t go for me either :)

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
How do people react to you in dastaar?
do you wear a scarf with it?
Do you wear makeup or earrings?

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

Gurprasaad..ive been wearing a dastaar for just less than a year now, before i used to just wear a rumaal all the time.

As far as reactions for other. Mostly positive, the only negative one i ever recieved was from this Uncle. I was at work, and he was like "kuri ja munda", i was like "Singhni" and smiled..and that was about it.
Just as jasleen bhenji said, most people dont say anything, or are very positive towars it. Specially african women...they are very sweet. I think its because some women do tie some sort of turban on their heads :)

I know a few bhenji's who do wear a chunni over their dastaars even when wearing western clothing. But personally i dont.

and i dont wear make-up...not to fond of it.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Jasleen has got it right on.

A hairy woman in a turban may look ugly to some, but there could just be another who thinks she is the most beautiful person he has ever met. He feels better when she is near. Which by the way is how we feel when we are close to the Husband Lord. For Him there is no beautiful or ugly. He is in us. We are in Him. We are never alone.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Jasleen has got it right on.

A hairy woman in a turban may look ugly to some, but there could just be another who thinks she is the most beautiful person he has ever met. He feels better when she is near. Which by the way is how we feel when we are close to the Husband Lord. For Him there is no beautiful or ugly. He is in us. We are in Him. We are never alone.
alright.

svea00

SPN Sewadaar
SPNer
Feb 3, 2008
What about marrying a girl with Hirutism and a turban?

What means hirsutism to you?

Let me add a nice anecdote even if I get at little distract from the actual topic.

I´m a physican and once there was a female patient on my ward that one of my male colleagues examinated. He add to his report that she had hirsutism. Some days later i happened to examine her again, because she didn´t feel well and he wasn´t there... The only thing that i recognised was that she was unshaven, but far from hirsutism. She was a totally average-hairy woman.
The females colleagues upon us mocked him a bit for this. :)

I mean men today are so used to perfectly waxed women that they totally forget how "real" women naturally look like.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM