• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Mantras In Sikhism

Apr 4, 2007
here are the important mantras that i know of.

• gurmantar - Waheguru
  • bij (seed) mantar - Ik Oankar
  • Mul (root) Mantar - Ik Oankar through gurprasad
  • Maha (great) Mantar - Ik Oankar through Nanak hosi bhi sach.
  • Mala (sequential) Mantar - full Japji Sahib
but i think every word of Gurbani is a mantra in itself. different people attach different importance to different mantras as they were taught or as they feel is right.

there's an old thread on this that explains it better...

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/essays-on-sikhism/1442-naam-simran-remembering-lord-naam-jaap.html

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
here are the important mantras that i know of.
  • gurmantar - Waheguru
  • bij (seed) mantar - Ik Oankar
  • Mul (root) Mantar - Ik Oankar through gurprasad
  • Maha (great) Mantar - Ik Oankar through Nanak hosi bhi sach.
  • Mala (sequential) Mantar - full Japji Sahib
but i think every word of Gurbani is a mantra in itself. different people attach different importance to different mantras as they were taught or as they feel is right.

there's an old thread on this that explains it better...

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/essays-on-sikhism/1442-naam-simran-remembering-lord-naam-jaap.html

Thanks Jasleen for explaining. What is the significance of having 5 mantras while we can do with one. I do not think there is any prescription of any specific Mantra on specific occassion.Why 5 mantras.?I am ok. to take the words of gurbani as mantras as suggested by you.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sikh80 ji

My reply is not in objection to the spirit of the comment by Jasleen ji. So please do not interpret my answer that way. Jasleen ji is defining various types of mantras and also the fundamental effect of mantras on the psyche, their benefit so to speak. Rather I am addressing the specifics of your original point specifically.

You asked about the Mool Mantar, the Gurmantar and bij mantars.

The Mool Mantar - Ik Oaankar Sat Naam Kartah Purakh(u) Nirbhao Nirvair Akaal Muraath Ajoonee Saib(n)han Gur Prasaad Jap (and sometime followed by Aad Sach, Jugaad Sach, Hai bi Sach, Nanaak Hosi Bi Sach). Called the Mool Mantar because it is the source or the root of all that follows it in Scripture. Often recommended as the mantra to recite in the amrit vela.

The Gurmantar - Waheguru, Waheguru, repeated in supplication, and explained by stated by Bhai Gurdas, O Beloved, the word Waheguru is the Gurmantar. Contemplate upon it and get rid of egotism. Varan 13 Pauree 2

Bij mantras - Any of a category of mantras that are comprised of bij or seed syllables from Sanskrit. Such as the Mangala Charan mantra, Ad Guray Nameh, Jugad Gury Nameh, Sat Guray Nameh, Siri Guru Devay Nameh. Bij[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Comic Sans,Times New Roman] mantras have specific value depending on the mantra. You will recognize thet the Mangala Charan matra is also part of Sikhmani Sahib, the PRayer for Peace and it bestows protection on the person who recites it.

So why do you think Sikh80 ji that one mantra would be enough?
[/FONT]

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
You have raised a very valid question and I have never thought it from this point of view.Thanks for advising me. Mool mantra is atributive of Almighty. GuruMantra is also the same.Beej Mantra ,generally, thought to be Ik -Ongkar is also attributive of God. In fact we can have more mantras.
Mantras in conventional sense would mean the repitition of the Gods Name. It is the way we connect the things with any Mantra.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
You have raised a very valid question and I have never thought it from this point of view.Thanks for advising me. Mool mantra is atributive of Almighty. GuruMantra is also the same.Beej Mantra ,generally, thought to be Ik -Ongkar is also attributive of God. In fact we can have more mantras.
Mantras in conventional sense would mean the repitition of the Gods Name. It is the way we connect the things with any Mantra.

This is not what I said. Please read what I wrote again. :wink: Anyway, others can take it from here.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!
Dear all!

Is this true Sikhi? People claim they know so many Mantras in Sikhism but their Gurus suggest none of those as such.
Whom are these people following blindly?

Balbir Singh

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
In sikhi Bani is Nirankaar. Thus all the mantras belong to Bani and shall be treated as Bani.These are no short cuts to GOd as Hindu states. These are meant for simran and jap.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!
Dear all!

Is this true Sikhi? People claim they know so many Mantras in Sikhism but their Gurus suggest none of those as such.
Whom are these people following blindly?

Balbir Singh
this is definitely not Sikhism.

I mean, where are you guys getting all this mantar names from. Maha Mantar? Sounds very Hindu to me.
Reading mantars will get you protection and peace? You don't mean that in a literal sense do you? Because that doesn't sound like Sikhism to me.

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA

I mean, where are you guys getting all this mantar names from. Maha Mantar? Sounds very Hindu to me.
Reading mantars will get you protection and peace? You don't mean that in a literal sense do you? Because that doesn't sound like Sikhism to me.
Bhagat Singh-ji,

I agree.

However, there are two mantras in Sikhism. Mool mantar and gur mantar.

Anything else is of no importance to me.

Apr 4, 2007

I was taught the names of the various mantars from a respected Giani of Damdami Taksal. not a hindu. or do you believe that the University started by our 10th Guru is the mouthpiece of hindus?

ਮਹਾ ਮੰਤ੍ਰੁ ਗੁਰ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਬਸਿਓ ਅਚਰਜ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੁਨਿਓ ਰੀ ॥੩॥Mahā manṯar gur hirḏai basi*o acẖraj nām suni*o rī. ||3||The Guru has implanted the Maha Mantra, the Great Mantra, within my heart, and I have heard the wondrous Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||3||
sggs p. 384

still sound hindu?

Bhagat Singh-ji,

I agree.

However, there are two mantras in Sikhism. Mool mantar and gur mantar.

Anything else is of no importance to me.

as i understand it, every word of gurbani is a mantra. we don't have secret mantras with special significance like hindus or buddhists. every single word our gurus spoke is worthy of recitation. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
I was taught the names of the various mantars from a respected Giani of Damdami Taksal. not a hindu. or do you believe that the University started by our 10th Guru is the mouthpiece of hindus?

ਮਹਾ ਮੰਤ੍ਰੁ ਗੁਰ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਬਸਿਓ ਅਚਰਜ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੁਨਿਓ ਰੀ ॥੩॥Mahā manṯar gur hirḏai basi*o acẖraj nām suni*o rī. ||3||The Guru has implanted the Maha Mantra, the Great Mantra, within my heart, and I have heard the wondrous Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||3||
sggs p. 384

still sound hindu?

as i understand it, every word of gurbani is a mantra. we don't have secret mantras with special significance like hindus or buddhists. every single word our gurus spoke is worthy of recitation. :)

In that case Jasleen ji, sounds good tome. :up:

PS you are very lucky to have spoken to such a giani!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 4, 2007
In that case Jasleen ji, sounds good tome. :up:

PS you are very lucky to have spoken to such a giani!!

i really do feel blessed. :) i met him at my amrit sanchar... he was visiting from the UK and doing Guru Sahib's seva during the ceremony. that was in California. then i ran into him completely by coincidence a couple months later in Houston! when he heard i was getting married, he came to our wedding and did Guru Sahib's seva here too. :)

i really believe that God meant our paths to cross. i learned so much from this Giani, and he was quite surprised (and happy) to meet a white sikh! :)

sometimes in your life you meet someone who makes a great impact on your life, even if you only know them for a short time. this was one of those people. :)

BTW- i highly recommend doing path with someone who teaches Santhia... i had no idea how many words i was pronouncing incorrectly... i learned a LOT about how different pronunciation changes the entire word!

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
i really do feel blessed. :) i met him at my amrit sanchar... he was visiting from the UK and doing Guru Sahib's seva during the ceremony. that was in California. then i ran into him completely by coincidence a couple months later in Houston! when he heard i was getting married, he came to our wedding and did Guru Sahib's seva here too. :)

i really believe that God meant our paths to cross. i learned so much from this Giani, and he was quite surprised (and happy) to meet a white sikh! :)

sometimes in your life you meet someone who makes a great impact on your life, even if you only know them for a short time. this was one of those people. :)

BTW- i highly recommend doing path with someone who teaches Santhia... i had no idea how many words i was pronouncing incorrectly... i learned a LOT about how different pronunciation changes the entire word!

Thanks!

Me and the user Bhen_bhago_Di here on SPN talk alot, and she helps me with alot of stuff like that.. she got me into listening to recordings for pronounciation :D

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM