• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Mandira's Tattoo Leaves Akal Takht Fuming, Again

Do You Support Akal Takht's Reaction to Mandira Bedi's Tattoo?

• Yes, Please Explain.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No, Please Explain.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Unsure, Why?

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
PS: Dear Mai Harinder Kaur Ji.. Thanks for all great smileys (Creative Commons)
Rupinder Singh ji,

Thanks much! Feel free to use them anywhere and everywhere. They have the CC coyright only so someone else cannot steal them by copyrighting them. Plaster them from Seattle to Amritsar to wherever you are in Australia! ( Oh, dear, I'm getting delusions of grandeur.) No tattoos, though. I have enough troubles without Makkar and his gang coming looking for me. :veryhappymunda:

There are more coming, perhaps some animations that I'm working on.

Chardi kala!

Attachments

• girl ice crm an.gif
    girl ice crm an.gif
    4.5 KB · Reads: 355
Aug 6, 2006
Yes Kanwardeep ji, she might have done it for free publicity and we are helping her a lot in that publicity gain.Even If we like to have control over the use of our holy symbols we shuold write to SGPC or akal takhat for some certain rules and regulations.
Roop sidhu

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
I wonder if we are placing too much emphasis on what is essentially a symbol. Yes the symbol has an origin and a meaning and they will stay the same regardless of where that symbol appears or how it s used. My point is that seeing some has been publicity seeking minor "celebrity" with this tattoo has zero impact on how I feel about Sikhism.

sssobti

SPNer
Apr 3, 2010
Respected cyber sangat ji,
SSA
Let our Jathedars open their minds to gurus preachings which clearly says that no act of display can GLORIFY or DISHONOUR OR BRING DISGRACE to EK ONKAR, which is beyond all such petty things. PETTY minds -PETTY thinking. A polluted mind explores his imagination even by staring at burqua claded where as a pious mind sees GOD"S CREATION even in a bikni claded.
MAy god bless us a guru sanmukh mind.
Sukhvinder Singh

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
This angry lot in the Sikhi tent should find something else to gripe about rather than showing their ire at this. I do not find anything wrong with this.

Can they give us the list where not to write/etch this beautiful symbol of omnipresence of The Source?

Their disdain shows more about themselves than the supposedly flaws they have claimed in Mandira's character.

Take a deep breath people and do not forget to exhale by uttering Ik Ong Kaar.

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant ji,

Ahhh spot on my friend. Anger, we sikhs are warned of this.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
A Hindu pandit once addressed taking offense in the following way. I paraphrase. What could be offensive is determined not by the doer but by the receiver. Taking offense is like receiving a shipment you did not order. If you don't want it simply send it back.

Peace

Satyaban ji,

Yes I agree, but then my views on offence are by now well known here.

I would respecfully ask Mai Harinder Kaur ji, what she finds distastefull and offesive about it, as well as explian how her own religous senseiblities have been offended?

Sufice to say from my own POV, view I find that neither the subject matter nor the act of tattooing offensive at all.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Each human being is unique. Who are we to judge whether she did this out of love respect for the Akaal Purukh or as an attention grabbing ploy.

Harindergujal ji,

Inded why restrict ourselves to these two choices, she may have just wanted a tatto. I have many, some have personal meaning to me, some where spur of the moment designs, and I know for certian how adictive they are.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
The basic question here is not Mandira tattoed ik onkar on her.The question is, are we going to allow sikh symbols exploited by Models and bollywood? One should look at the intention of person,at this point I don't think she has done it out of respect.
She has done it just to generate free publicity.So now sikh symbols are going to become commodity for for these publicity hungry celebrities

Kanwardeep ji,

I just can't see what there is to be worked up about myself. A symbol is just that a symbol. Let people use whatever symbols they like in whatever way they like, what does it matter? Remember this life, all of this thing we are living, it is all illusionary.

There is God, and then there is God. Everything else matters not a bit.

Sep 4, 2005
Punjab, India
Mandira's Tatto has made so many to utter Ik Onkar. If I happen to meet her I would suggest her to get Ik Onkar Satnam or why not the full mul Mantar !
I no way find her insulting my religious feeling. She make so many of us to say out Ik Onkar.
The occupants of Akal Takht find problem where no problem exists. They should chill down. Non Sikhs are finding our reaction to this Tatto too funny. No wonder they say it that Sikhs are little crack. I wont be surprised if some new joke on Sikhs starts circulating in relation to this tatto !!

Akal Takht is fuming Again rather Too frequently !!

harpreet9

SPNer
Jan 6, 2008
Remind me why is it making THE caretakers of Akal Takht go NUTS on Mandira sporting IK ONKAAR tattoo? What is wrong with these hypocrites? So tomorrow they gonna go NUTS over people etching IK ONKAAR at the back of hand or wearing sikh emblem as a Pendant...

LostBoat

SPNer
Nov 6, 2009
"O! Lord, what fools these mortals be!" When Guru Nanak slept with his feet pointing towards Mecca, he was admonished for showing disrespect. He reportedly replied, place my feet towards any direction where GOD IS NOT PRESENT. Will the Akal Takht authorities please tell Mandira on which spot she should display the symbol which will not be offensive? Petty people, petty minds! Mandira is a descendent of Guru Nanak. Mandira DO NOT REMOVE THE TATTO, it looks beautiful.

G.P.SINGH

@ GP Singh : allow me to point out a subtle difference in this discussion u have missed

1) Guru Nanak is our guru.
2) Mandira is an actress flaunting her body.

Now GP Singh how can u judge a Guru and Mandira on the same level. The only conclusion this leads me to is that u believe Mandira has an equal epistemic distance as Guru Nanak it is here that I think you are mistaken. The example of Mecca is applicable for a guru but I would not judge her from the same perspective. I am not saying that I have a better understanding of this situation than anyone I am just applying what I know If you agree with my conclusion brother would you kindly remove you comment.

sachbol

SPNer
Feb 12, 2010
She wants to look sexy. It is her job. She may dare and bare but should not play with our sentiments. She was born in a Sikh family but she is not a Sikh. She must stop such adventures.Has she guts to display "Allah" on her bare back?

I agree that misuse of religious logos or signs must be stopped. We must also stop using Guru's name for business.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kanwardeep ji,

I just can't see what there is to be worked up about myself. A symbol is just that a symbol. Let people use whatever symbols they like in whatever way they like, what does it matter? Remember this life, all of this thing we are living, it is all illusionary.

There is God, and then there is God. Everything else matters not a bit.

Dear lee

Unfortunately we are living in world where people are ready to exploit anything whether it is symbols,image etc.At one sikhs use to take sikh jokes lightly ,People use to say its just a joke .With time joke's started to become humilation.

Coming back to topic of symbols.They are associated with religion and feelings
of people.They should not be used by people which are hungry for publicity
or just want to use them as fashion

Charan

SPNer
Mar 15, 2010
I feel it is ok, if this makes her feel closer to Waheguru. However, if this is just some sort of a fashion statement, I'd appreciate her removing it. But I don't think there is any reason to get this angry.. In the end, who are we to judge? People have ek onkars on their hands too, no one has ever made an issue about that? To Waheguru, what difference does it make if they have ek onkar on their hand or their neck.. I don't think body part is relevant in this case.. As long as it's out of pure love for Waheguru, i don't see a problem with it.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
a lot of people have been having this tatoo on their hands, wrists and arms...for a long time..and i am sure some of those "hands" must have done some wrong deeds...how do we judge that ? what about EK Oankaar + Khandas on patkas worn by just about everybody...so many who come to visit Darbar sahib proudly show off these...no one got angry ?? SIROPAS have been given to all and sundry....no objections..no nager...No reason to.....BUT when it suits the "nosie makers" they will object..as they did to giivng a siropa to amrinder the patiala maharaja..tomorrow someone not politically correct wearing such a patka will be hauled up too.. VERY VERY SELECTIVE ......THIS DEGRADATION results when POLITICS OVER RULES DHARAM !! as is the case NOW.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I understand the sentiments of Mai ji, Kanwardeep ji and others who are against tattooing ikonkaar or consider things like this as an offense.

One thing I fail to grasp is what the true offense is.

Are diamond studded ikonkaarS around our necks, ears, noses wrists etc. etc. O.K.?
If I am not mistaken, the marble tiles on the steps leading to Darbar Sahib and also in the parikarma have ikonkaar etched/tattooed on them with the names of the donators. We step on them while getting into the sanctum sanctorum.

How come that is O.K. or why haven't those who object to Mandira's "offense" mentioned or protested anything about that?

Sadh Sangat, ikonkaar can not be offended by these things.
Let's not bicker about these small things.

But on the positive note, this has given us the opportunity to think about The Source in many ways.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM