• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Malaysia : Any Help For Giani Ji?

Jun 1, 2004
A lawyer has questioned the high-handedness of the Negri Sembilan Immigration Department(MALAYSIA) for attempting to deport a music
teacher although the Indian national had valid travel documents. A. S. Dhaliwal said the ordeal of Kulwant Singh, 45, who teaches religious songs at a Gurdawara (Sikh) temple in Mantin began on June 1 last year, when he was dragged away from the premises while performing his prayers.

The Immigration enforcement officers who detained Kulwant at the time alleged that he had abused his work permit by also performing priestly duties.

Kulwant has been in an immigration detention camp in Lenggi, Negri Sembilan since.

Dhaliwal said that although Kulwant's case was fixed for hearing on August 25 this year, immigration officials ignored the due process of
the law.

"They gave the foreigner until Tuesday, to leave the country...without even checking if he could obtain a ticket to return home.

"I am seeking relief and justice for Kulwant who is a victim of circumstances. Why can't the Immigration Department allow him to stay until his case is heard on August 25?

"It is a question of his human rights and whether he is a foreigner or otherwise, he still has the right to be heard," he reasoned.

Kulwant, father of four from Punjab, India, came to work at the temple to teach children to sing religious songs in preparation for the Vesakhi (Sikh New Year) celebration on April 14.

He said when he was apprehended at the temple in June last year, he informed the immigation officers that he had valid documents which would expire in nine months.

"I told them that if they could wait for few minutes, I would produce the documents. However, they refused and bundled me into a waiting vehicle," he told the Sunday Mail at his counsel's office in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

Kulwant said: "I feel hurt about the entire episode. I am also in the dark over what my offence is."

At the camp, Kulwant said he lost his belongings and valuables such
as a watch, two gold rings and a kirpan (one of the five religious symbols a Sikh carries).

He hopes the authorities will allow him to stay until his case is heard.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: