• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Major Mishap Averted At Mumbai Airport

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Major mishap averted at Mumbai airport-Mumbai-Cities-The Times of India

MUMBAI: It appears to be a goof-up by the Air Traffic Control in Mumbai which allowed

a helicopter of President Pratibha Patil's fleet to
land on the runway of the Mumbai
airport even as an Air India plane was about to take off for Delhi from it. ( Watch )

However, a possible tragedy was avoided by the pilot of the Air India flight to Delhi, IC 866, who aborted take off when he saw the helicopter, which was not carrying the President on board, landing on the runway he was about to use, official sources said.

They said the Air Traffic Control had given clearance for the helicopter to land but simultaneously gave take off permission to the Air India flight.

The alertness of the pilot of the aircraft prevented a major disaster.

Meanwhile, an official spokesperson of the President said that "Everything is perfectly fine. The President was attending her normal functions."

Mumbai international aiport authorities did not comment on the incident, saying that, "this is purely an issue concerning the Mumbai Air Traffic Control, which had allowed both the landing and the take off."

A probe into the incident has been ordered by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation, the sources said. The probe will be headed by Joint Director (Investigation), DGCA, A K Chopra, they said, adding that he would be reaching here from New Delhi to join the investigation.

Pilot of Airbus-321 Captain S S Kohli wondered how the chopper landed when he had been given a clearance by the ATC to take off. "The chopper just landed without taking a landing clearance. I cannot say much more," he said.

An IAF spokesman said in New Delhi, "the pilots of the chopper had followed the instructions from Bombay approach meticulously. The Presidential entourage was cleared to take off from INS Kunjali and land at Santa Cruz between two taxiways".

An inquiry has been ordered by the IAF into the incident, he said.

A passenger on board the Air India flight said, "We were going to Delhi and there were few second left for flying and at that time the chopper came from upper side.

"Emergency brakes were applied by the captain," he said, adding that the passengers saw the chopper which had the Indian flag embossed on it.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Its unfortunate that despite being brilliant pilots in commercial Airline's and Air force.Turbaned,Bearded sikhs are not allowed to become pilots in USA and many countries

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Its unfortunate that despite being brilliant pilots in commercial Airline's and Air force.Turbaned,Bearded sikhs are not allowed to become pilots in USA and many countries

kdsji

It is only a matter of time. There is already a Sikh woman who is a full pilot on one of the commercial carriers in the US. She is covered in the Kaur Power link if you want to read about her. :star:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
kdsji

It is only a matter of time. There is already a Sikh woman who is a full pilot on one of the commercial carriers in the US. She is covered in the Kaur Power link if you want to read about her. :star:

I have already read that NEws and seen her pic :happy::happy:

But somewhere I read that Turban is not the main problem.The main barrier is Beards
Due to which Bearded sikhs are not allowed In Airline's

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I have already read that NEws and seen her pic :happy::happy:

But somewhere I read that Turban is not the main problem.The main barrier is Beards
Due to which Bearded sikhs are not allowed In Airline's

kds ji

I wonder .....hmmm... because I think I have seen pilots with beards on commercial airlines... but you know what...they were short beards. It may be that beards have to be kept short and trimmed. That may be the problem.

This could be an area where I could stir up some trouble in my spare time. :eek:What do you think? :cool:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
kds ji

You have pointed us to a major find on the Internet. How do you find all this good stuff? :happy:Anyway -- I myself am not convinced by the argument for positive pressure for the O2 mask either. If it were a good argument, all the countries that permit pilots to have beards would be courting death by doing it. Also, did we not see pictures of World War II fighter pilots who were Sikhs in turbans and beards? Some of them made it back to land -- I think so anyway. The controversy has to be about cultural definitions of what looks well-groomed and what does not. That was a good link. So should I stir up trouble -- or not? :D

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
kds ji

You have pointed us to a major find on the Internet. How do you find all this good stuff? :happy:Anyway -- I myself am not convinced by the argument for positive pressure for the O2 mask either. If it were a good argument, all the countries that permit pilots to have beards would be courting death by doing it. Also, did we not see pictures of World War II fighter pilots who were Sikhs in turbans and beards? Some of them made it back to land -- I think so anyway. The controversy has to be about cultural definitions of what looks well-groomed and what does not. That was a good link. So should I stir up trouble -- or not? :D

Antonia ji

Thanks for the appreciation.Btw i don't think I have find such a difficuilt thing.Actually months back I was reading a discussion on arpinder kaur becoming first turbaned pilot
and many people said It will help many youths as pusuing career of pilot In USA but one person mentioned that for sikh men the problem is not turban but beard because of policy.
I was quite surprised because Pilot is one of choices of career of sikh men and we see many Turbanned ,bearded pilots all over india with not even an inch of problem ever happening.Infact sikhs are also flying Migs in Indian Air force not sure about sukhoi's,may be American fighter planes have some problems:p:p

To be honest Antonia ji if we forget our political differences then India is the only country
where sikhs don't face problem regarding career o/w daily some news of cases are coming from many countries about discriminatory policies which Sikh men face due to beard and turban.I am sorry to say but in name of safety many countries are curtailing religious freedom.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
11_02_2009_002_006_001.jpg

CAPTAIN SUKHVINDER Singh Kohli's family want a gallantry award for him.

"For his act of bravery said ," his wife Apneet Kaur. "For saving the lives of more than a hundred passengers," said his mother Manjit Kohli.

On Monday, the Gurgaon resident was behind the controls of Air India's MumbaiDelhi flight IC 866. Seconds before take-off, he spotted a military helicopter -- part of the President's entourage -- in the way As Kohli braked hard, . one of the tyres of the fast moving Airbus A-321 burst. The plane skidded but stopped in the nick of time. Name cleared While an inquiry had been marked into the incident on Monday, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation cleared Kohli's name on Tuesday, and he was allowed to resume flying with immediate effect.

Speaking to HT on the phone, the 40-year-old credited his training for successfully pulling off the emergency manoeuvre. "I have logged 12,000 flying hours since I started flying in 1988, after graduating from Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Udaan Academy ." Celebrations Back home in their Ambience Island apartment, Kohli's wife, mother and two sons -- Shobit and Simrat -- were joined by their relatives in the evening, to give the captain a hero's welcome. "From the airport, we will go to the gurdwara, as God enabled him to take a quick decision. He is a very religious person and always visits the gurdwara before flying," said Kaur.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I love stories like this. And the pic is inspiring. To see big smiles and clear expressions lifts my spirits. To read about intellect and courage gives me courage too. :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM