• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Maintaining Our Culture

satwant

SPNer
Oct 18, 2006
singapore
I live outside of India and listen to punjabi songs more often than not. I crave to watch punjabi videos of my favourite songs. but what is so demoralising are the actor and actresses in the videos. Practically hero is clean shave and the actress has short hair.

Nothing of the punjabi culture is being displayed except ladies in short skirts and guys with latest fashionable hair styles. It is sad that our culture is being eroded through this medium and nothing is being said or done to maintain our culture. even the singers who have "paag" and "dari" have decided to use extras that have no sembelence to our culture.

The purpose of this thread is to make a plea to whoever is in a position to make a change to slowly but surely educate the singers that it is hip and cool to use extras that have "paag" and "dari" and ladies with full grown hair and wearing punjabi suits to dance.

If not, our culture will be dead even before we know it. The world has caught up with bhangra and find it cool to be associated with it but we are running away from our own culture. most of the hindi movies must have a bhangra song and dance to make it a hit.

So, wy do we shun a culture that is so rich, vibrant and colourful with our own brand that has "paag" and "dari".

Satwant

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
I live outside of India and listen to punjabi songs more often than not. I crave to watch punjabi videos of my favourite songs. but what is so demoralising are the actor and actresses in the videos. Practically hero is clean shave and the actress has short hair.

Nothing of the punjabi culture is being displayed except ladies in short skirts and guys with latest fashionable hair styles. It is sad that our culture is being eroded through this medium and nothing is being said or done to maintain our culture. even the singers who have "paag" and "dari" have decided to use extras that have no sembelence to our culture.

The purpose of this thread is to make a plea to whoever is in a position to make a change to slowly but surely educate the singers that it is hip and cool to use extras that have "paag" and "dari" and ladies with full grown hair and wearing punjabi suits to dance.

If not, our culture will be dead even before we know it. The world has caught up with bhangra and find it cool to be associated with it but we are running away from our own culture. most of the hindi movies must have a bhangra song and dance to make it a hit.

So, wy do we shun a culture that is so rich, vibrant and colourful with our own brand that has "paag" and "dari".

Satwant

the majority of us are idiots thats why. A few of us who are not have started things like Sarbloh Warriors and Singh Media

TGill

SPNer
Jul 31, 2007
the majority of us are idiots thats why. A few of us who are not have started things like Sarbloh Warriors and Singh Media

All are idiot who don't know true sabad including us and Sarbloh warriors/Singh Media. This is the reason gurus culture is getting shunned...

Sundri

SPNer
Jan 14, 2007
We can maintain our culture by maintaining it ourselfs and in our immediate family to began with. I'm glad I'm not in punjab. People who are away from punjab are making more efforts to save it then people in punjab. So let us start by greeting each other in public and private meetings with Waheguru ji ka khlasa Waheguru Ji ki Fateh. Let us start by learning Japji and reciting with our elders and neighbors. Let us invite our neighbors for exchange of views and discussions. Let go to our children or bother and sister's schools and give a talk etc.
And let us maintain Punjabi culture by..............................Please complete the list.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
clarkejoey,

you are spot on

ppl mix up sikhism and punjabi culture

whatever you see being done as "rituals" in any of the gurudwaras has roots in punjabi culture

langar served sitting on ground has punjabi/indian cultural roots

doing chaur over SGGS has punjabi roots

matha tekna has punjabi roots

preparing only wheat & desi ghee deg has punjabi roots

the list goes on and on and on

the essence of sikhism is lost many a times in show of punjabi culture

clarkejoey

SPNer
Oct 3, 2007
Belize City, Belize
"Sikhism is not regional but global, universal." said Begum.

That's what I thought; in fact, as someone far, far from Punjabi culture, the closest thing to an obstacle in my Sikh journey is exactly this: where does Punjabi end and Sikh begin? I understand the retention of the original language(s) of scripture, i understand the use of cultural symbols (turban, sword, etc.)... but the impression one sometimes gets is that one must adopt a wholly Punjabi lifestyle/selfimage in order to be a Sikh. But that can't be; any religion worthy of the whole human race must be adaptable to the whole of human culture.

For instance, i find the language a HUGE difficulty, and i have no doubt that others who might have made a contribution have turned away because of it.

Is it that Sikhs themselves (ourselves) are not secure in their (our) identity?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
The spread of Sikhism would naturally follow a certain pathway. By this I mean, people who come into Sikhism through conversion are automatically going to go through the fusion at first - fusion of their culture with the teachings of Sikhism. We may not look at the whole thing as going according to plan but it is natural for people to mix their culture with religion.

Say for eg, if there is a concentration of new sikhs in Russia, they would opt for the Russian Dance instead of the Bhangra. It might look like a mess but it isn't. It will take alot of time for Russian new Sikhs to separate their culture from the Sikh religion.

Comments welcomed.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Say for eg, if there is a concentration of new sikhs in Russia, they would opt for the Russian Dance instead of the Bhangra. It might look like a mess but it isn't. It will take alot of time for Russian new Sikhs to separate their culture from the Sikh religion.

Pardon me santokh singh ji but the aim of sikhism should not be spreading of punjabi culture.Russian,american and any other sikh has every right to maintain their culture
The aim of sikhism is to spread the spirituality of guru nanak.no community leaves it culture.For example culturally there is no difference between bengali and hindu muslims
but still religion wise they are different.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
to add to Begum ji's comment

sikhi(Faith) is a personal belief and internal framework for a person's conscience and bearing to navigate the spiritual as well and material world

punjabiyat, afghani(culture) is outward interpersonal interaction framework. necessary to build a sense of belonging and provides emotional support and fosters growth. Has roots in our genes.

Sikhism(religion) is intertwining of both culture and faith. Developed to build sense of community.Framework to help a person reach out to like minded people.

so as long as you imbibe Sikhi inside you, your internal framework will reflect irrespective of your culture.

i agree that spread of Sikhi should be our motive.

Sikhism will develop and adapt as it goes to various cultures.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Hold on a minute... are Punjabi culture and Sikh culture the same thing? The posts do imply that.

Punjabi Culture is Regional

Sikhism is Universal

Sikhism does not tie itself to a place, person, land, language, culture.

The Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji was written in the common tongue (unlike Sankrit) descernible to all......the message was clear from this that the Guru's message was meant for All.

Saying this......Punjabi Culture sems to be going through a flux................

clarkejoey

SPNer
Oct 3, 2007
Belize City, Belize
My question still is: where does Sikh culture end and Punjabi culture begin?

For instance, it seems to me that just about every technical term for participation in worship, studying scripture or even meditating, is expressed in Punjabi. To be quite honest, this newbie often doesn't know what folk are talking about... except after rooting in his trusty punjabi grammar.

Prayer, study, meditation, hymn, community, deeper meaning... each of these have a preferred non-English term that sometimes leaves me feeling excluded.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
My question still is: where does Sikh culture end and Punjabi culture begin?

For instance, it seems to me that just about every technical term for participation in worship, studying scripture or even meditating, is expressed in Punjabi. To be quite honest, this newbie often doesn't know what folk are talking about... except after rooting in his trusty punjabi grammar.

Prayer, study, meditation, hymn, community, deeper meaning... each of these have a preferred non-English term that sometimes leaves me feeling excluded.

Dear clarke

There is no such thing as sikh culture.99% of sikhs are punjabi so its obvious you will find element of punjabi culture in it.This problem will solve when more non punjabi people
will embrace sikhism,dedicate their lives in study of gurbani ,sikhism and will come up with
study and deeper meaning in non punjabi language.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Clarke, you can start by asking about 5 questions on the Sikh religion under a new thread - it would be good as it could lead more people to ask their set of questions. Some questions might even sound stupid but believe me, they are not. There is no right or wrong in the learning process. I will appreciate if you asked basic questions which you have a hard time with.

clarkejoey

SPNer
Oct 3, 2007
Belize City, Belize
Sat sri akal

There is no such thing as sikh culture.

Kds ji, I wonder. No particularly "Sikh" sound in the music? No especially Sikh way of cooking or keeping house? If Sikhi is indeed a lifestyle, then it would follow that it would have, if not a culture as such, at least some cultural referents: eg a sikh style of punjabi music, a sikh theme in punjabi literature.

99% of sikhs are punjabi so its obvious you will find element of punjabi culture in it. This problem will solve when more non punjabi people will embrace sikhism, dedicate their lives in study of gurbani, sikhism and will come up with study and deeper meaning in non punjabi language.

And there's the chicken-and-egg story! which comes first? Punjabi sikhs expressing themselves in ways to attract non-Punjabis, or converts learning the faith and making it their own? I haven't got an answer, by the way.:unsure: I suspect that both will need to continue so the faith can expand.

Begum ji, the long thread about Naam is something like what i would be asking. Somebody beat me to it though.:roll:

Thanks for the offer; I'll formulate a question or two.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
And there's the chicken-and-egg story! which comes first? Punjabi sikhs expressing themselves in ways to attract non-Punjabis, or converts learning the faith and making it their own? I haven't got an answer, by the way.:unsure: I suspect that both will need to continue so the faith can expand.

Begum ji, the long thread about Naam is something like what i would be asking. Somebody beat me to it though.:roll:

Punjabis have no monopoly on Sikhism. Yes, the governing body in Amritsar is run by Punjabis. But everyone can practice Sikhism in their own unique way. A good way to start could be by reading stories and life of Guru Nanak to Guru Gobind Singh.

You were Blocked- is a good website to visit.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kds ji, I wonder. No particularly "Sikh" sound in the music? No especially Sikh way of cooking or keeping house? If Sikhi is indeed a lifestyle, then it would follow that it would have, if not a culture as such, at least some cultural referents: eg a sikh style of punjabi music, a sikh theme in punjabi literature.

Pardon me but i am unable to properly understand what you are saying.Are you referring to shabad kirtan.If yes then i don't know whether it is punjabi music or not.also the way of shabad kirtan was also changed.Some sikhs say that there was no harmonium at the time of guru's and it is an european equipment so it is not the original style of kirtan of guru's time.As far cooking and keeping house is concerned there is no sikh way in these things at all.

And there's the chicken-and-egg story! which comes first? Punjabi sikhs expressing themselves in ways to attract non-Punjabis, or converts learning the faith and making it their own? I haven't got an answer, by the way.I suspect that both will need to continue so the faith can expand.

Begum ji, the long thread about Naam is something like what i would be asking. Somebody beat me to it though.

It is not chicken and egg story.Non punjabi sikhs has to take initiative.we punjabi sikhs had 300 years to spread the message of guru nanak and sikhism to whole world but forget about world punjabi sikhs were unable to spread the sikhism in india.In india people cannot even think that a non punjabi person could be sikh.I posted a thread about sikhs of guru hargobind ji in which bhai gurdas ji mentioned about the sikhs which were from
various parts of india.But with time that diversity just vanished.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<If Sikhi is indeed a lifestyle>>

i think this assumption is wrong

sikhi is your inner belief set which influences your lifestyle.

I donot think sikhi(the message in SGGS) prescribes a lifestyle like cooking, praying, keeping house ( in my humble knowledge)

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: