Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Mainstream Sikhi, Guru Panth, Guru Granth - Your Views

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by Randip Singh, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar
    Historian SPNer Supporter

May 25, 2005

One of the core principles of Sikhism is Guru Panth (or consensus), and Guru Granth i.e. the principle of that we as the Khalsa can take a decision with our Guru's blessing.

These decisions, such as the Rehat Maryada were taken by Sikh's, yet the DDT has it's OWN Rehat Marayada. That my friend is not Guru Paanth's decision's and is not consensus, and therefore is not mainstream Sikhi and is therefore a sect.

Read the DDT Rehat Maryada and you will see how far it is from the mainstream Sikh Rehat Maryada, yet they keep silent about the fact they actually have their own Rehat Maryada.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    General Namdhari Join Sikh Mainstream Hard Talk Sep 15, 2015
    World In Israel, Spate Of Ultra-Orthodox Incidents Rattle The Secular Mainstream Breaking News Jan 10, 2012
    General Religious Messages in Mainstream Movies Hard Talk May 30, 2011
    Islam Mainstream Islamic organisations 'Share Al-Qaeda Ideology' Interfaith Dialogues Feb 7, 2011
    Gurinder Chadha's 'mainstream' vision of Britain Business, Lifestyle & Leisure May 1, 2010

3. sunsingh

Expand Collapse

Jun 4, 2008

hmmm... I actually disagree. But I guess that's a discussion for another time, another thread.

I'd like to note that Sarbloh.info website, that site does not accurately represent the views of nihangs. There are some things on that site that are unique to the beliefs of Niddar Singh and his followers who are in the UK. These beliefs are not shared by the Buddha dal.
  4. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

Jun 1, 2004
    I think its just about time to discuss this. :)
  5. findingmyway

Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

Aug 18, 2010
    Mainstream Sikhi has changed over the years. I would argue that those who understand the Guru's message are now the minority as the majority either can't be bothered to understand or follow the crowd. This is seen in behaviours in Gurdwara's the world over. Maybe it's time for a major review to bring the panth together again and put many controversies to rest.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    For me the question is even more basic, simple.

What is mainstream Sikhi?

Is it Tat Khalsa?

What percentage of the panth really fall into that mold? Last night I was researching the rehats from shortly after the death of Guru Gobind Singh. The rehat of Chaupa Singh, of Daya Singh, the Tankhanama erroneously attributed to Nand Lal, and more on a sizable list. There are orders within these rehats which are still touted today, even on other Internet forums, "as true adherence to rehat." But they are not found in the SRM. These are orders that persist within oral and family traditions.

People follow in the belief there is greater orthodoxy and purity.

Does mainstream Sikhi mean strict adherence to SRM, without unique add-ons from culture or local traditions? I don't see how moving toward a common core can happen easily or soon. Not when coconuts are still being jatka'd at Hazoor Sahib, and SGGS is receiving tilak of goat's blood. When and if there is a majority view, then does the "mainstream" declare the others are out? Is there really a means for doing this? Is there excommunication in Sikhi? And what is the wisdom in doing so?
    • Like Like x 4