Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Looking for Sikhs in Israel

Discussion in 'New to Sikhism' started by akiva, Apr 20, 2011.

1. akiva

akiva Israel
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Hi
    I've been studying the basics of Sikhism, and am looking for any Sikh contacts in Israel so I can learn more. Does anyone know of any Sikhs here?
    Thanks

2. Loading...

3. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

I did a quick Google search and found some Sikh hits in LinkedIn, a Professional networking service as follows,

http://il.linkedin.com/pub/dir/+/Singh

Hope it is of some utility.

Sat Sri Akal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. akiva

akiva Israel
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

I found this information. You will have to be nimble to find who they are.

http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Israel

According to the Israel Central Bureau of Statistics, 76.1% of Israelis are Jewish; 16.2% are Muslim; 2.1% are Christian; 1.6% are Druze; and 3.9% unclassified.[62]

Roughly 12% of Israeli Jews defined as haredim (ultra-orthodox religious); an additional 9% are "religious"; 35% consider themselves "traditionalists" (not strictly adhering to Jewish Halakha); and 43% are "secular" (termed "hiloni"). Among the seculars, 53% believe in God. However, 78% of all Israelis participate in a Passover seder.[63] Israelis tend not to align themselves with a movement of Judaism (such as Reform Judaism or Conservative Judaism) but instead tend to define their religious affiliation by degree of their religious practice.

Among Arab Israelis, 82.6% were Muslim, 8.8% were Christian and 8.4% were Druze. There is also a small community of Ahmadi Muslims in the country.[64] Tiny communities of Ismaili Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs also live in Israel, but to date they are not sizable enough for any Mandirs, Gurudwaras, or Ismaili Mosques to have yet built.

There are fourteen diverse Buddhist groups are presently active in Israel, catering to Israeli Jubus as well as a tiny number of Vietnamese Buddhists who came to Israel as refugees from the crisis in their homeland and were granted citizenship.[65] The Bahá'í world centre, which includes the Universal House of Justice, is situated in Haifa and attracts pilgrimage from all over the world.[66] Apart from a few hundred staff, Bahá'ís do not live in Isra
    el.

• Like Like x 1
  6. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

The statemaster article seems to be wrong. Look at what I found! Not a lot of detail, but a start.
    http://www.sikhchic.com/travel/an_oasis_in_every_wilderness

7. akiva

akiva Israel
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Thank you very much for the links