• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News 'Loins Of Punjab Presents' Opens In US Sep 12 (New Kerala)

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
From what I saw of a trailer on YouTube this looked like another "Sikhs are clowns" type of portrayal.

Don't know what t make of it.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
I think it is an intended pun on Lions of the Punjab. Seems like certain Hindus just want to portray Sikhs as comic relief these days.

Yes, I say Hindu knowing full well of the consequences. But also certain Sikhs seem to play along with this nonsense also. Seems like their is no price that cannot be paid in the fame game. Even it means being party to ridiculing your own people.

Shavaash!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I think it is an intended pun on Lions of the Punjab. Seems like certain Hindus just want to portray Sikhs as comic relief these days.

Yes, I say Hindu knowing full well of the consequences. But also certain Sikhs seem to play along with this nonsense also. Seems like their is no price that cannot be paid in the fame game. Even it means being party to ridiculing your own people.

Shavaash!

You have logical consistency on your side. When I first read Loins I thought it was a misspelling. :whisling: Then I realized that it was not "Lions "..... so how crude can you get? :{;o: The expression "son of my loins" or such an expression was common in the days of the prophets of Israel. Who talks like that today unless he/she is trying to be "clever" :eek:

As for Sikhs playing along ... well, unfortunately this happens in every cultural setting. I cannot tell you how many Italian-Americans thought the movie the Godfather was "just great" and played the theme at many a wedding. Even in the church service! :{-:)But it was not great. It showed a lack of a moral guidance system.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Aad Ji

At least the Godfather heavily involved the actual input of Italians themselves, in terms of both actors/actresses as well as writers. Plus it never made Italians look like {censored}s.

Most of these Bollywood films do just that for Sikhs.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
It wasn't insensitive.

I actually think all those "mob" films are actually brilliant in the way they glamorise what is essentially organised crime and sociopathy. If anything those films have made the mafia cool......

The amount of people who love those films is massive. So many people count them as the best films made. I've lost count of the amount of people who told me that Goodfellas is their favourite movies.

Contrast this will the comic Sikh buffon of Bollywood.

Just thought I'd drop this image of Snoop Dawg in for the sake of it. Turban actually suites him.

N12642.JPG

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsingh ji

Thanks for the clarification. The connection i was making was that there are those who think that the Italian American experience is one that glamorizes and tolerates criminality. Funny thing is that the government prosecutors who try Mafia criminals like to have Italian Americans on the jury because typically we have no sympathy at all for the Mafia as a group. Yet the Goodfellas and Godfathers are glamorized in the media and condoned by ordinary people far too often.

For Sikhs, given this movie, the course of action has to be organized protest and also public pressure coming from Sikh organizations. There is no accounting for the weak-mindedness of some members of the public and the media.

On the one hand a group is made to look like fools, on the other hand another group is made to look like criminals and sociopaths. The answer is an organized response.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Remarkably the Anti-Defamation Italian League was allegedly started by a mobster itself.

Italian-American Civil Rights League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Italian-American Civil Rights League was formed as a political group in and around New York City in the early 1970s. Its stated goal was to combat pejorative stereotypes about Italian-Americans. The Italian-American Civil Rights League began as the Italian American Anti-Defamation League on April 30, 1970 by approximately 30 Italian-Americans.
The Italian-American Civil Rights League began as the Italian American Anti-Defamation League - when approximately 30 Italian-Americans, led by reputed mobster Joseph Colombo, picketed the Manhattan headquarters of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. They were there to protest the recent arrest of Colombo's son, Joseph Colombo Jr., on a charge of conspiracy to melt down old U.S. silver coins (the mintage of which had ceased five years earlier) into ingots (the charge was later dismissed when the chief witness against the junior Colombo admitted to having committed perjury). Prior to this, the senior Colombo had complained of unfair harassment of him and his family by various federal law-enforcement authorities, who alleged that Colombo was the boss of one of New York City's five Mafia families — a charge he repeatedly denied.
The 30 demonstrators who appeared at the FBI building were joined by others in successive days, and ultimately their number grew to more than 5,000. The group then adopted the name "Italian-American Civil Rights League" after Colombo's attorney, Barry Slotnick, had suggested it. A logo, consisting of the numeral "1" superimposed upon a map of the United States, with the organization's name encircling it, was then devised. The logo invoked Christopher Columbus, an Italian that opened the Americas up to European colonization.
Within two months, the organization claimed 45,000 dues-paying members, and held a large rally in Columbus Circle on June 28, 1970. The league gained further momentum when Frank Sinatra held a benefit concert in its honor at Madison Square Garden in November of that year.
The group then turned its attention to what it perceived as cultural slights against Italian-Americans, using boycott threats to force Alka-Seltzer and General Motors to withdraw television commercials the league objected to, and also got United States Attorney General John Mitchell to order the United States Justice Department to stop using the word "Mafia" in official documents and press releases. The league also secured an agreement from Al Ruddy, the producer of The Godfather, to omit the terms "Mafia" and "Cosa Nostra" from the film's dialogue, and succeeded in having Macy's stop selling a board game called The Godfather Game.

Although we do have organisation is the west i.e. Britain and US that can possibly fulfil such roles, in India they do not seem to exist. Possibly because the set up their means they would be ineffectual anyway.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM