Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sikh News 'Loins Of Punjab Presents' opens in US Sep 12 (New Kerala)

Discussion in 'Breaking News' started by Sikh News Reporter, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Sikh News Reporter

Sikh News Reporter United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

By Arun Kumar, Washington, Aug 9 : South Asian comedy 'Loins Of Punjab Presents', Manish Acharya's feature directorial debut, will make its US premiere Sep 12 at two New York City theatres.

More...

2. Loading...

3. dalsingh

dalsingh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

From what I saw of a trailer on YouTube this looked like another "Sikhs are clowns" type of portrayal.

Don't know what t make of it.

4. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

I don't know what to make of the title Dalsingh ji.

5. Joginder Singh Foley

Joginder Singh Foley United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

[​IMG] Is this ment to be sick humour or is it someone's bad spelling and they got "loins" mixed up with "lions"

[​IMG]

6. dalsingh

dalsingh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I think it is an intended pun on Lions of the Punjab. Seems like certain Hindus just want to portray Sikhs as comic relief these days.

Yes, I say Hindu knowing full well of the consequences. But also certain Sikhs seem to play along with this nonsense also. Seems like their is no price that cannot be paid in the fame game. Even it means being party to ridiculing your own people.

Shavaash!

7. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

You have logical consistency on your side. When I first read Loins I thought it was a misspelling. :whisling: Then I realized that it was not "Lions "..... so how crude can you get? :{;o: The expression "son of my loins" or such an expression was common in the days of the prophets of Israel. Who talks like that today unless he/she is trying to be "clever" :eek:

As for Sikhs playing along ... well, unfortunately this happens in every cultural setting. I cannot tell you how many Italian-Americans thought the movie the Godfather was "just great" and played the theme at many a wedding. Even in the church service! :{-:)But it was not great. It showed a lack of a moral guidance system.

8. dalsingh

dalsingh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Aad Ji

At least the Godfather heavily involved the actual input of Italians themselves, in terms of both actors/actresses as well as writers. Plus it never made Italians look like morons.

Most of these Bollywood films do just that for Sikhs.

9. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Dalsingh ji

I am sorry if my example was insensitive. :)

10. dalsingh

dalsingh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

It wasn't insensitive.

I actually think all those "mob" films are actually brilliant in the way they glamorise what is essentially organised crime and sociopathy. If anything those films have made the mafia cool......

The amount of people who love those films is massive. So many people count them as the best films made. I've lost count of the amount of people who told me that Goodfellas is their favourite movies.

Contrast this will the comic Sikh buffon of Bollywood.

Just thought I'd drop this image of Snoop Dawg in for the sake of it. Turban actually suites him.

[​IMG]

11. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Dalsingh ji

Thanks for the clarification. The connection i was making was that there are those who think that the Italian American experience is one that glamorizes and tolerates criminality. Funny thing is that the government prosecutors who try Mafia criminals like to have Italian Americans on the jury because typically we have no sympathy at all for the Mafia as a group. Yet the Goodfellas and Godfathers are glamorized in the media and condoned by ordinary people far too often.

For Sikhs, given this movie, the course of action has to be organized protest and also public pressure coming from Sikh organizations. There is no accounting for the weak-mindedness of some members of the public and the media.

On the one hand a group is made to look like fools, on the other hand another group is made to look like criminals and sociopaths. The answer is an organized response.

12. dalsingh

dalsingh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Remarkably the Anti-Defamation Italian League was allegedly started by a mobster itself.

Although we do have organisation is the west i.e. Britain and US that can possibly fulfil such roles, in India they do not seem to exist. Possibly because the set up their means they would be ineffectual anyway.