• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Living In The Infinite/ਅਸੰਖ

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
LIVING IN THE INFINITE/ਅਸੰਖ

ABSTRACT

The fullness of the reality of God is infinite (ਅਸੰਖ) and inclusive. The all-pervading field of God is consciously, and simultaneously presents everywhere. All worlds, creatures, and beings exist in God. To say that God is present at some places but not others is to utter an untruth. Likewise, to say that God cares for some people or circumstances more than for the others is to reveal our lack of understanding about the real nature of Akal Purkh. God is the wholeness that is incapable of unconcern or disinterest. Such attitudes reside only in the minds, confused by the beliefs in duality.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The absolute Principle/God/Akal Purkh/Truth, is not a, thing, sound or vibration, and is not divisible. It cannot be diluted or augmented. It has no partner or complement, no form nor qualities. However, it is everywhere (ਨਿਰੰਤਰ) all the time and forever. It is without any relation to time and space. It is One and unity. It determines everything, comes before everything, and is the law of every thing. Its law is blind but its justice is evenhanded. Guru Nanak refers to God in Siri Raag;

ਬਾਬਾ ਅਲਹੁ ਅਗਮ ਅਪਾਰੁ ॥ ਪਾਕੀ ਨਾਈ ਪਾਕ ਥਾਇ ਸਚਾ ਪਰਵਦਿਗਾਰੁ ॥

Baba Allah Agam Apaar, Paakee Naa-ee Paak Thaa-ay Sachaa Paravdigaar.

O Baba, the God Allah is Inaccessible and Infinite. Sacred is Its Name, and Sacred is Its Place. God is the True care taker of all. -----Guru Nanak, Siri Raag, AGGS, 53-10

Whenever you feel alone or in need of anything, think or speak these words: Here and now, God is. It is around me as a vibrant, living presence. Akal Purkh is as me at my innermost level of being. It is the reality and substance of everything I see, touch, and relate to, from moment-to-moment. Kabir in Raag Parbhati explains:

ਲੋਗਾ ਭਰਮਿ ਨ ਭੂਲਹੁ ਭਾਈ ॥ ਖਾਲਿਕੁ ਖਲਕ ਖਲਕ ਮਹਿ ਖਾਲਿਕੁ ਪੂਰਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਸ੍ਰਬ ਠਾਂਈ ॥

Logaa Bharam Na Bhooloh Bhai, Khaalik Khaki Khalk Meh Khaalik poor Reheio Sarb Thaanee.

O people, O Siblings of Destiny, do not wander deluded by doubt. The Creation is in the Creator, and the Creator is in the Creation, totally pervading and permeating all places. -----Bhagat Kabir, Raag Parbhati, AGGS, Page, 1350-1

We are inclined to supplicate to God. This is a natural, human conscious approach. Starting at this level of need for higher understanding is a good beginning. It reflects our humility, our recognition of the fact that our egocentric view of self in relationship to life is inadequate to enable us to be entirely self-sufficient or truly happy. It is an evidence of our honesty; that we are admitting to ourselves that we, as mind-body creatures, are insignificant in comparison to the cosmos and to the omnipresence, omniscience, and omnipotence of Akal Purkh. Our acknowledgement of the superficiality and meaninglessness of our self-conscious lives is thus a beginning of the end of our denial of spiritual Selfhood and God. The only true faith is to live in harmony with the Universal Laws of Mother Nature honestly and truthfully as per the teaching of Guru Nanak in Raag Basant;

ਏਕੋ ਧਰਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜੈ ਸਚੁ ਕੋਈ ॥ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਪੂਰਾ ਜੁਗਿ ਜੁਗਿ ਸੋਈ ॥

Ayko Dharam Dirrhai Such Koyee, Gurmat Pooraa Jug Jug So-ee.

There is only one faith of Righteousness. Let everyone grasp this truth. Through the Guru's Teachings, one becomes perfect, all the ages through.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Basant, AGGS, Page, 1188-15

As we become familiar with progressive spiritual growth episodes that occur, we become increasingly aware that our self-disciplined behaviors are for the purpose of removing self-centered attitudes and actions from the playing field of our lives so that grace can have its way. Grace is the natural unfoldment of life to support its own purposes and actions, in which we participate when we are in tune with the Infinite. To learn to live in harmony with nature, it is necessary that a spiritual aspirant choose states of consciousness and mental attitudes which contribute to spiritual growth. His thoughts, emotions must be consistent with this goal. Human relationships, environmental circumstances, life-purpose, and actions are major contributors in increasing the influences of the qualities which nurture total spiritual growth. Everything that debilitates or creates stress and conflict should be avoided due to the increased secretion of the hormone “Cortisol” causing high blood pressure etc. An unpleasant truth is that many people who aspire to spiritual growth are approaching the project with the same self-defeating attitudes and behaviors, which are already contributing to the problems that burden their lives. Once sufficient right knowledge is acquired, following the teachings of Sabd Guru, it is rendered easier. If this knowledge is used effectively, personal accomplishment and spiritual growth rapidly follow at every step of life, as pointed out by Guru Arjan in Raag Gujri;

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਭੇਟਿਐ ਪੂਰੀ ਹੋਵੈ ਜੁਗਤਿ ॥ਹਸੰਦਿਆ ਖੇਲੰਦਿਆ ਪੈਨੰਦਿਆ ਖਾਵੰਦਿਆ ਵਿਚੇ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ॥

Nanak Satgur Bhatai Poori Hovai Jugat, Hasandeyaa, Khelandiaa, Penandiaa,Vichay Hovai Mukat.

O Nanak, meeting the True Guru, one comes to know the Perfect Way. While laughing, playing, dressing and eating, he is liberated. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gujri, AGGS, Page, 522-10

How and why the universe is able to meet our every need? Guru Nanak explains in Raag Parbhati;

ਨਾ ਮਨੁ ਮਰੈ ਨ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਰੈ ॥ ਜਿਨਿ ਕਿਛੁ ਕੀਆ ਸੋਈ ਜਾਣੈ ਸਬਦੁ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ਭਉ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਤਰੈ ॥

Nā man marai na mā▫i▫ā marai. Jin Kich Keeaa Soyee JaaNai Sabd Veechaar Bhaou Sagar Trai.

Without subduing the mind, Maya cannot be subdued. The One, who created this, alone understands. Contemplating the Word of the Sabd, one is carried across the terrifying world-ocean. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Parbhatee, AGGS, Page, 1342-3

The universe, as God's manifesting energy-consciousness, is self-complete and self-referring.

How does this process work? It works on two levels.

First, when we are in harmony with life's processes, we live more effectively and are able to accomplish our purposes efficiently.

Second, when we are established in mental peace, anything that disturbs it draws a response from Cosmic Mind and the universe, to meet the need so that we can be restored to peace by understanding the reality reflecting on the Sabd and letting go the empty and fake rituals meant to clean internal filth reflects Kabir in Raag Asa;

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਮੈਲੁ ਜੇ ਤੀਰਥ ਨਾਵੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਬੈਕੁੰਠ ਨ ਜਾਨਾਂ ॥ ਲੋਕ ਪਤੀਣੇ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਹੋਵੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਰਾਮੁ ਅਯਾਨਾ ॥

Antar Mail Jay Tirath Naavai Tis Baikunth Na Janaa, Lok PateeNay Kachoo Na Hovai Naahee Ram Aiaana.

One may bathe at many a sacred place of pilgrimage, but if filth remains in his heart, he cannot go to heaven. Nothing is gained by trying to please others -- the God cannot be fooled. -----Bhagat Kabir, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 484-15

ਭਰੀਐ ਮਤਿ ਪਾਪਾ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ॥ ਓਹੁ ਧੋਪੈ ਨਾਵੈ ਕੈ ਰੰਗਿ ॥

Bharai Mat Paapaa Kai Sung, Oh Dhoapai Navai Kai Rung.

But when the intellect is stained and polluted by sin, it can only be cleansed by the Love of the Name. -----Guru Nanak, Japji, AGGS, Page, 4

It matters not what the circumstances are that disturb our spiritual tranquility the universe will act to restore our tranquility, should we concentrate on a positive attitude. However, if the conscience loses its peace; the universe will restore its wholeness. We just need to follow the Sabd Guru’s teachings earnestly. It is interesting that this principle of positive attitude has been recently published in a book and a movie called “Secret”.

Let us remember and be guided in our lives by the benevolent Power that nourishes this universe, including us, and learn to cooperate with it from the beginning, middle and end as suggested by Guru Arjan in Raag Gauri;

ਆਦਿ ਮਧਿ ਜੋ ਅੰਤਿ ਨਿਬਾਹੈ ॥ਸੋ ਸਾਜਨੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਚਾਹੈ ॥

Aad Madh Jo Unt Nibaahai, So Saajan Mayra Man Chaahai.

My mind longs for that Friend, who shall stand by me in the beginning, in the middle and in the end. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 240-10

Conclusion:

One should have the courage to accept that living can be natural, spontaneous, and enjoyable if one is on friendly terms with a friendly universe. This includes caring for and nurturing the planet Earth and serving the cause of evolution. One should be appreciative of the blessings of life by making wise choices, with a positive attitude of gratitude. One should cultivate virtues of compassion by serving the others with spiritual understanding of righteousness. We should do the things that we should do and renounce behaviors that are not worthy of us. We can be our real selves and follow our conscience to happiness. There is no point in our pretending to be victims. We are spiritual beings, innately endowed with limitless capacities, having a human experience. We can educate ourselves with prayer, meditation, contemplation, deliberation and reflection over the teachings of our faiths. We can choose a lifestyle which is supportive of our worthy purposes and spiritual aspirations. Let us wake up, grow up, do our duties, and flow in harmony with the rhythms of the universe. Let us offer our thanks for living happily in the Infinite Akal Purkh/ ਅਸੰਖ.

ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰਾ ਪਿਤਾ ਤੂੰਹੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਾਤਾ ॥ ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰਾ ਬੰਧਪੁ ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰਾ ਭ੍ਰਾਤਾ ॥ ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰਾ ਰਾਖਾ ਸਭਨੀ ਥਾਈ ਤਾ ਭਉ ਕੇਹਾ ਕਾੜਾ ਜੀਉ ॥

Ŧūʼn mėrā piṯā ṯūʼnhai mėrā māṯā. Ŧūʼn mėrā banḏẖap ṯūʼn mėrā bẖarāṯā. Ŧūʼn mėrā rākẖā sabẖnī thā­ī ṯā bẖa­o kėhā kāṛā jī­o.

You are my Father, and You are my Mother. You are my Relative, and You are my Brother. You are my Protector everywhere; why should I feel any fear or anxiety?-----Guru Arjan, Raag Majh, AGGS, Page, 103-12

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM