• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Literal Meaning Of Gurbani

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Guru Nanak is NOT SOMEBODY.

HE IS JOT.

Thanks for clarifying that Guru Nanak is- somebody for you.

I am not debating on translations, I am sharing. And I have mentioned the source as well, please check.

SIKHS dont debate GURU SHABAD. THEY SHARE:).

thanks

Guru Nanak was an actual physical person. He may have carried a Jyot, but he was a physical person, and yes he was somebody. Not some God, not somedemi-god, not someflame(Jyot), but a physical breathing, eating, reproducing , human body.

Actually one of the side issues of this thread is whether the English translation is accurate. If you do not wish to debate the translation I suggest you do not participate.

PS This is the final time I will say this. Keep personal remarks out of this. Debate the issue and not the person.

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Literal Meaning of Gurbani

Gurbani is dear to many. Some read Gurbani every day, some as a rehat, some read it occassionaly.

I have noticed some people question the acceptance of the literal meaning of Gurbani. I am surprised to see that happening even under 'GURMAT VICHAAR' Section.

If we say that literal meaning is wrong: Isn't that imply that we are saying-GURU IS LYING.

CAN A TRUE GURU LIE TO HIS FOLLOWERS?

In my neechan neech budhi- GURU IS RIGHT IN LITERAL SENSE.

If anybody is telling me a meaning that does't go in line with the literal meaning of that Gurbani Line- CAN NOT BE REGARDED AS GURMAT.

For Example:

ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਹਰਿ ਸੋਇ ॥੪॥੭॥੯॥
गुरु नानकु नानकु हरि सोइ ॥४॥७॥९॥
Gur Nānak Nānak har so­ė. ||4||7||9||
Nanak is the Guru; Nanak is the Lord Himself. ||4||7||9||

Any person who knows Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, khari boli will tell you that it tells us- Guru Nanak is God Himself. So Guru is telling us- GURU NANAK IS LORD HIMSELF.

If somebody comes to us and tells us, No it is the literal meaning, He cant be God.

Should I listen to him/her or My Guru?

Obviously my Guru: GURU KNOWS BETTER THAN US AND HIM/HER.

LITERAL MEANING IS ALWAYS RIGHT- INTERPRETATION HAS TO GO IN LINE WITH THE LITERAL MEANING.

Daanveer Ji,

I listen to Guru, and it is PEACE in listening to Him. He tears away all the falsehood one after another. As we disscussed before, all these questions raised by different members, help learn everyday. :up:

:up:Guru answers:up:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Randip Singh ji

sardara 123 ji took one line out of the stanza ( in translation)he quoted which is very important. it says:
"lobali(WaHAGURU) dargeh vich maan nimana maan nimanai 11 There is no translation is given of that line.
In this war as per Guru Nanak panth, Gur parmeshar stands for The Almighty. Why because hint is towards duality,:dooja bhao". Guru ji always warns us not to have love for any one but Waheguru
Third line about tolerrance if some one does bad and the Sikh avoids revenge( in Gurbani its also known as ajarr jarna). The next line is about not to speak harshly or do slandering. then next one is about take a loss if it is good for humanity( aap gavai). Then it is about doing good for the humanity and enjoy it not try to boast about it.. Then comes line which is omitted in English translation, it says in God's court being humble getting honour by God because of good deeds done as stated above. The last. This is the right way to understand Guru teachings.
All above listed good deeds are praised because these are honoured by Waheguru and taught by Guru Ji.
I think, the transltor sardara 123 ji quoted just translated without giving a thought in what context Bhai Gurdaas ji is praising people.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM