• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Life Is Easier Without Karma - A Discussion

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
If it were just a case of acceptance , there would not be as much Bani as there is, suggesting we do align ourselves with Creator. The words Manmukh and Gurmukh cease to have relevance if everything is pre written

Very valid point indeed.
It can't all be pre-determined otherwise, what would be the point ?

I think it's trying to understand what events or actions are hukam and what are karma, the karma ones being defined by your actions.

B.T.W.- To me ''karma'' is all about the results due to my actions in this life. In my opinion, it's not about setting yourself for future lives or anything else vedic like that.
This is the life and there is what is predetermined and then there are all the changes in direction due to my OWN actions.
...-These changes in direction are what are determined by my karma, due to my intial actions.

Embers

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
EU
Very valid point indeed.
It can't all be pre-determined otherwise, what would be the point ?

I think it's trying to understand what events or actions are hukam and what are karma, the karma ones being defined by your actions.

B.T.W.- To me ''karma'' is all about the results due to my actions in this life. In my opinion, it's not about setting yourself for future lives or anything else vedic like that.
This is the life and there is what is predetermined and then there are all the changes in direction due to my OWN actions.
...-These changes in direction are what are determined by my karma, due to my intial actions.

Hello Lukcysing ji and Harry Ji
Is the point to end reincarnation or samsara and merge with the Lord whilst living?
I ask as now you say it, I am not too sure if Sikhism has a defined reason for living in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, do you know?

I also agree, that living to have a better birth is a futile and terrible idea. Varna is double edge sword and one I would rather not handle as I am sure to hurt myself.

Blessings!

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Is the point to end reincarnation or samsara and merge with the Lord whilst living?

I would use the word 'connect' myself, as merging implies we are not merged at present, I believe we are, just not connected.

But yes, absolutely, bin reincarnation, samsara, fate, karma, rebirth and enjoy the heaven that you are promised in other religions here and now, today,

Embers

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
EU
If it were just a case of acceptance , there would not be as much Bani as there is, suggesting we do align ourselves with Creator. The words Manmukh and Gurmukh cease to have relevance if everything is pre written
Hi Harryji
I would also agree that it isn't just a case of acceptance. The issue is acceptance as an action is finite; it will end. The way of actions which always come to an end, might explain why we feel we make progress then we seem to slip back to doubt.

My view is that one must work out the riddle first, then one abides in a new state in which all that happens can be seen to be happening, by oneself, to oneself or around oneself.

One thing I like very much about your posts is that you see that there should be no significant change as such, because all this is already no duality; the Lord is and continues to Be regardless if we chip away at ideas and philosophy. It is somewhat like going around in a circle of ideas, is it not?

So what is the reason for all this beautiful Bani?

:happymunda:

Embers

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
EU
Re: Life is easier without karma - a dicussion.

Hukam is there and that's it, when something will happen then there is no stopping it. So, i don't think that we are that free to choose to follow or not, we get to a stage where we just have to accept.

When looking into this in this manner, then we can't assume that it is ONLY HUKAM that is running the show, there must be other influences such as our actions and karma.

I reckon that most of us do have a good idea about this but just trying to define and put into words seems to prove difficult.

Maybe, if someone disagrees or can't understand, then they could forward some examples that we could focus on when trying to explain.
Sat siri Akaal LuckySingh Ji
Regardingly your last paragraph, I have put forward an explanation of Hukam only in Ishna Ji's thread, here is the post http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/169175-post10.html

I would be interested in feedback, should any ideas arise.:sippingcoffeemunda:

I also hold Karma as true. But with two dilemmas: firstly the initial quote which says Sikhs don't believe in Karma. This is OK as it seems there is some flexibility around this topic, however I have tried to answer without considering karma in Ishna Ji's thread.

Secondly Karma only exists whilst there is an individual who acts (karma) and receives the phala or fruit from her/his actions. The fruit or result of action must be received by an individual of some sort, in my view. If we accept there is a multitude of inviduals, then we must also accept there is duality. Duality seems to be a cause of suffering, for example:

Page 31, Line 18
ਲਖ ਚਉਰਾਸੀਹ ਫੇਰੁ ਪਇਆ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ॥
लख चउरासीह फेरु पइआ कामणि दूजै भाइ ॥
Lakẖ cẖa▫orāsīh fer pa▫i▫ā kāmaṇ ḏūjai bẖā▫e.
The soul-bride in love with duality goes around the wheel of reincarnation, through 8.4 million incarnations.
Guru Amar Das

Page 33, Line 10
ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਸਭਾ ਧਾਤੁ ਹੈ ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਉ ਵਿਕਾਰੁ ॥
त्रै गुण सभा धातु है दूजा भाउ विकारु ॥
Ŧarai guṇ sabẖā ḏẖāṯ hai ḏūjā bẖā▫o vikār.
Everything under the influence of the three qualities shall perish; the love of duality is corrupting.
Guru Amar Das

What solutions can we find? :)

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
The first half of the 37th paurhi of Japji Sahib (Ang 7) says:

<table cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr></tr><tr><td>
ਕਰਮ ਖੰਡ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਜੋਰੁ
Karam kẖand kī baṇī jor.
In the realm of karma, the Word is Power.
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਤਿਥੈ ਹੋਰੁ ਕੋਈ ਹੋਰੁ
Ŧithai hor na ko▫ī hor.
No one else dwells there,
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਤਿਥੈ ਜੋਧ ਮਹਾਬਲ ਸੂਰ
Ŧithai joḏẖ mahābal sūr.
except the warriors of great power, the spiritual heroes.
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਤਿਨ ਮਹਿ ਰਾਮੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਰਪੂਰ
Ŧin mėh rām rahi▫ā bẖarpūr.
They are totally fulfilled, imbued with the Lord's Essence.
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਤਿਥੈ ਸੀਤੋ ਸੀਤਾ ਮਹਿਮਾ ਮਾਹਿ
Ŧithai sīṯo sīṯā mahimā māhi.
Myriads of Sitas are there, cool and calm in their majestic glory.
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਤਾ ਕੇ ਰੂਪ ਕਥਨੇ ਜਾਹਿ
Ŧā ke rūp na kathne jāhi.
Their beauty cannot be described.
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਨਾ ਓਹਿ ਮਰਹਿ ਠਾਗੇ ਜਾਹਿ
Nā ohi marėh na ṯẖāge jāhi.
Neither death nor deception comes to those,
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਜਿਨ ਕੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਵਸੈ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ
Jin kai rām vasai man māhi.
within whose minds the Lord abides.
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਤਿਥੈ ਭਗਤ ਵਸਹਿ ਕੇ ਲੋਅ
Ŧithai bẖagaṯ vasėh ke lo▫a.
The devotees of many worlds dwell there.
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਕਰਹਿ ਅਨੰਦੁ ਸਚਾ ਮਨਿ ਸੋਇ
Karahi anand sacẖā man so▫e.
They celebrate; their minds are imbued with the True Lord.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Does it mean 'in the realm of karma' as a cause/effect mechanism, or karma as in 'in the real of actions'?

The word 'karma' seems to have more than one meaning?

Embers

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
EU
Firstly, may I say it is a privilege to be able to learn more about Buddhism from you Confused Ji. I feel we are only scratching the surface of your insight.

I would like to delve deeper into the epistemology which you touched on above, as I think this where we are going with the inquiry into anatta and atman. Unfortunately I have to complete an assignment this month and I will have to spend less time on the forum in the comings weeks so I will need to hold back from pressing you for answers going forward. Perhaps we can take this topic up in the future, sorry.

Thanks for the answers on ‘intention’, concept and reality and the correction to the misunderstanding on your earlier point on karma. Intention without karma is the part which fascinates me the most so I am interested in the functional consciousness of the Arahat too and what lies at the heart of the actions of an Arahat so that they do not generate karma.

I owe a response to your main questions, because I think it will help leave this topic closed for the moment (although the answers may raise questions).

1) And this means that you are convinced about the truth of Atman?

2) We cannot detect but we can understand. Why do you think that the development of the Path requires coming to be aware of a single unit of consciousness?

3) The fourth of the Four Noble Truths is the Noble Eightfold Path. This is a Path of understanding and not of coming to see individual consciousness which is impossible anyway, due to the very nature of the consciousness process. Besides, what you are saying has the implication that the development of wisdom begins only after seeing individual consciousness rise and fall, and this does not make sense, does it?

4) Also with all levels of understanding is the mental factor of saddha or confidence / faith, are you saying that this cannot arise for one who does not see individual consciousness rise and fall away?

5) This is not right is it, given that you approach the teachings in order to understand and then suddenly appeal to empirical evidence to judge whether or not the Buddha was right?

6) And since you refer to the need for evidence, why don’t you show me the evidence for permanence and atman?
1) I seem convinced that consciousness does not change. I consider consciousness to be synonymous with the Atman in this respect and hence I am inclined to confirm that I am convinced of the Atman. (God is a slightly different topic).

2) Agreed. We can understand, we can see with an inner eye, so to speak. I do not believe Buddhism needs to start with consciousness, be it single unit or as the Buddha explains as subject to anicca. My earlier observation came from my brief study of Theravada and is one reason I felt I felt was an area of concern for me and raised it with you.

3) I agree it doesn’t make sense to believe that wisdom begins with Consciousness. One can study the four noble truths and the eightfold noble path and it will lead to its own end (nirvana) and wisdom.

4) I am sure faith plays a role in Buddhism and other religions. It only matters to the view of the teaching as to how the being/aspirant sees consciousness.

5) I am not a Buddhist so I am not seeking to prove Buddha right or wrong. I have the utmost respect for his Dhamma. The reason I refer to empirical evidence is that it is ‘me’ who needs to understand. I do not need another to understand me or persuade me, hence I was seeking for empirical evidence in my being.

6) For clarity, I am not here to convince others of my views. Rather I would like to learn more about Sikhism, which is why I am posting here, using my views as a sounding board to receive criticism, correction and help to my answers. That said, I have no desire to convince anyone of the Atman (if convincing someone were even possible).

The reasoning for why I am not a Buddhist might be called ignorance by Buddhists, that is fine too. When I turned to Buddhism to understand it, it was for a different reason than to end suffering for myself. What attracted me to Theravada was that it does not require Varna. I learnt that there are over 166 Million 166 Million Dalits (untouchables) and I wanted to understand Buddhism further in respect to their position. Varna is something I feel I need to understand better as it overlaps into social and political spheres it seems.

Best wishes. peacesignkaur

Last edited:

Embers

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
EU
Re: Life is easier without karma - a dicussion.

If it's true then by definition you must believe in the caste system which Sikhism rejects.

Do you believe in the caste system as well?

Dear Randip Singh Ji
Thanks for picking up on that. The answer is NO. I do not believe in Varna or caste.

So why do I hold Karma as true?

It is true as long as there is ego. Ego is not evil, but ego leads to harm. Ego is the creation of Akaal Purat, and hence to see it as evil would be to judge God's creation as evil or good. It is not my wish to judge God's creation (or God).

So whilst there is ego and a sense of doership there will be karma. But karma is cause and effect. If I drink cola I will get fat (my body is prone to weight gain). So I have a karmic choice: drink cola or not drink cola. Whilst I hold there is an ego there will be result and I will feel that result e.g. fatness and with it suffering is likely. Suffering on the tread mill and suffering in my mind.

So karma is relatively true, it lasts as long as the ego.

If I dissolve the ego in His naam then there is no karma, there is only change. There are only things happening to the body-mind-intellect. There is no doer at the highest level, no accumulator of karma and hence no karma.

None the less, Karma is used by the Guru's in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji (in English at least), so I see a dilemma for Sikhism:

Page 2, Line 5
ਕਰਮੀ ਆਵੈ ਕਪੜਾ ਨਦਰੀ ਮੋਖੁ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥
करमी आवै कपड़ा नदरी मोखु दुआरु ॥
Karmī āvai kapṛā naḏrī mokẖ ḏu▫ār.
By the karma of past actions, the robe of this physical body is obtained. By His Grace, the Gate of Liberation is found.
Guru Nanak Dev

Page 8, Line 3
ਕਰਮ ਖੰਡ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਜੋਰੁ ॥
करम खंड की बाणी जोरु ॥
Karam kẖand kī baṇī jor.
Guru Nanak Dev

Page 128, Line 16
ਹਉਮੈ ਕਰੈ ਨਿਹਕਰਮੀ ਨ ਹੋਵੈ ॥
हउमै करै निहकरमी न होवै ॥
Ha▫umai karai nihkarmī na hovai.
Those who act in ego do not go beyond karma.
Guru Amar Das

I hope that answers your question? peacesignkaur

Last edited:

Embers

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
EU

<table cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr></tr><tr><td>
ਕਰਮ ਖੰਡ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਜੋਰੁ
Karam kẖand kī baṇī jor.
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਤਿਥੈ ਹੋਰੁ ਕੋਈ ਹੋਰੁ
Ŧithai hor na ko▫ī hor.
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਤਿਥੈ ਜੋਧ ਮਹਾਬਲ ਸੂਰ
Ŧithai joḏẖ mahābal sūr.
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਤਿਨ ਮਹਿ ਰਾਮੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਰਪੂਰ
</td></tr> <tr><td>
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਤਾ ਕੇ ਰੂਪ ਕਥਨੇ ਜਾਹਿ
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਨਾ ਓਹਿ ਮਰਹਿ ਠਾਗੇ ਜਾਹਿ
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਜਿਨ ਕੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਵਸੈ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਤਿਥੈ ਭਗਤ ਵਸਹਿ ਕੇ ਲੋਅ
</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਕਰਹਿ ਅਨੰਦੁ ਸਚਾ ਮਨਿ ਸੋਇ
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Does it mean 'in the realm of karma' as a cause/effect mechanism, or karma as in 'in the real of actions'?

Dear Ishna Ji
Yes, I believe you are right! My personal view is that Karma is a mere term for the cause and effect mechanism. It is a way to explain why an apple drops from the tree rather than floats in the air (or why things happen from actions).

My view is that there is only karma for those who believe they are the doer of the actions and the reaper of their results. Those who are not bound by karma are "the warriors of great power, the spiritual heroes." The verse explains why.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Embers ji,

Thanks for your response.
I'd like to suggest if you don't mind, that we begin again when you come back, with the reality / concept distinction. And go very slowly with this.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
One thing I like very much about your posts is that you see that there should be no significant change as such, because all this is already no duality; the Lord is and continues to Be regardless if we chip away at ideas and philosophy. It is somewhat like going around in a circle of ideas, is it not?

oh yes!

So what is the reason for all this beautiful Bani?

it makes the circles smaller lol

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver

<TABLE cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR></TR><TR><TD>
ਕਰਮ ਖੰਡ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਜੋਰੁ
Karam kẖand kī baṇī jor.
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
ਤਿਥੈ ਹੋਰੁ ਕੋਈ ਹੋਰੁ
Ŧithai hor na ko▫ī hor.
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
ਤਿਥੈ ਜੋਧ ਮਹਾਬਲ ਸੂਰ
Ŧithai joḏẖ mahābal sūr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
ਤਿਨ ਮਹਿ ਰਾਮੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਰਪੂਰ
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
ਤਾ ਕੇ ਰੂਪ ਕਥਨੇ ਜਾਹਿ
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
ਨਾ ਓਹਿ ਮਰਹਿ ਠਾਗੇ ਜਾਹਿ
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
ਜਿਨ ਕੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਵਸੈ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
ਤਿਥੈ ਭਗਤ ਵਸਹਿ ਕੇ ਲੋਅ
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
ਕਰਹਿ ਅਨੰਦੁ ਸਚਾ ਮਨਿ ਸੋਇ
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ishnaji,
I'll try my best to make it a little easier, although Embersji has done so quite well above...

The Word is in reference to the realm of karma.
ਕਰਮ ਖੰਡ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਜੋਰੁ
Karam kẖand kī baṇī jor.
ie.. it has it's own words that define it, we can't demand good or bad karma as such. But only through actions and experience.
Our words don't have the power, but the word within karma has this power.

NOTE- it is NOT power is the word.
The bani or word within or the Guru's word defining the karma is what has the power.

In my opinion this can also be taken to mean that the Ultimate power that can shape or mould karam is the word of the Guru's shabad !

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Embersji,

You have a very clear and methodical approach which I find very appealing.
The topics on hand have always had great difficulty in implementing into words and understandable text. You only have to look at some other past posts.

Although, I have claimed for some time that I do accept karma, I have not clarified that it is my own interpretation miles away from vedic undertsanding.
In my opinion, this is where confusion arises with some members as they associate it hand in hand with reincarnation.

I believe that the bani did deny hand in hand combination of the two, but doesn't reject them solely on different avenues.
-This is my understanding.

Embers

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
EU
Thank you LuckySingh Ji, I am grateful for your kind words.

I think it is worth noting in general that the Buddha explained Karma, but there was no Varna or Caste, it was free of the varna of Brahminism (Vedic). Likewise the Karma of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji does not need to be compared to the Karma of Buddhism or Brahminism in my opinion it too is unique.

Karma does not imply Varna because Varna does not seem to be a part of Waheguru's will according to the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, in my humble opinion.

I am going to have to post less to finish an assignment... not sure if it is karma or Divine will, but I have to get cracking and come back to this topic in the future. I just wanted to thank you for clarifying your view on karma! :happymunda:

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Embers ji,

While waiting for you to come back so that we can start our discussion regarding the reality / concept distinction, I would like to respond to this part of your message. My questions are C and your response E.

C: 1) And this means that you are convinced about the truth of Atman?

E: 1) I seem convinced that consciousness does not change. I consider consciousness to be synonymous with the Atman in this respect and hence I am inclined to confirm that I am convinced of the Atman. (God is a slightly different topic).

I wonder if the belief in Atman came before or after consideration regarding the nature of consciousness. If it is before, then it looks like you are trying to make your theory regarding consciousness to fit with the belief. If it is after then I'd like you to consider the following.
If consciousness does not change, then it is *not conditioned*. I wonder then how you explain the experience of the different objects through the five senses and the mind?

As I understand it, seeing is conditioned amongst other phenomena, by the eye-base, visible object and contact, so with the other sense experiences with their corresponding bases and object. This means that eye-base is different from ear-base etc., visible object is different from sound etc. and seeing is different from hearing etc. And this is what it means to be “conditioned”.

Surely you are not suggesting that seeing has the same characteristic as hearing and touching. But you are positing a consciousness / Atman which at different moments experience different objects and therefore somehow move around different bases, namely one moment it is at the eye, another at the toe and another at the nose, right?

If this is what you picture, I don't see why it is easier to believe this, than that each sense door experience and the mind are completely different and that they rise and fall away by differing conditions?

C: 2) We cannot detect but we can understand. Why do you think that the development of the Path requires coming to be aware of a single unit of consciousness?

E: 2) Agreed. We can understand, we can see with an inner eye, so to speak. I do not believe Buddhism needs to start with consciousness, be it single unit or as the Buddha explains as subject to anicca. My earlier observation came from my brief study of Theravada and is one reason I felt I felt was an area of concern for me and raised it with you.

We begin and end with our moment to moment experience. No need to refer abstractly to consciousness, mental factors or physical phenomena and no need to think about Nibbana beyond the fact that it is the unconditioned which is the object of the path and fruition consciousness. Now, from moment to moment, there is seeing, touching, feeling, perception, visible object, sound, hardness, pressure, attachment, ignorance and so many other realities. All these, like consciousness, rise and fall away by conditions and can be known as such. So no need to start particularly with consciousness, but whatever appears “now”.

Indeed, that so many number of people who were the Buddha's audiences became enlightened there and then while listening to him teach, this is not because they all experienced insight into the particular reality that the Buddha was referring to at the time, but any of the possible realities each one of them were experiencing at at that very moment. So no need to talk about consciousness, but neither is there a need not to do so. ;-)

C: 3) The fourth of the Four Noble Truths is the Noble Eightfold Path. This is a Path of understanding and not of coming to see individual consciousness which is impossible anyway, due to the very nature of the consciousness process. Besides, what you are saying has the implication that the development of wisdom begins only after seeing individual consciousness rise and fall, and this does not make sense, does it?

E: 3) I agree it doesn't make sense to believe that wisdom begins with Consciousness. One can study the four noble truths and the eightfold noble path and it will lead to its own end (nirvana) and wisdom.

No, you are misreading what I suggested. I wasn't saying that we need not start with consciousness, but was addressing your idea that because it is not possible to experience one instance of consciousness since it rises and falls away so fast, that one could then assume that consciousness is constant / permanent. What I was trying to tell you is that impermanence, insubstantiality and non-self are known not as a result of seeing “one” consciousness rise and fall away, but as a result of wisdom experiencing what appears in the moment. It does not need to experience one infinitesimal reality in order to understand / know. Characteristics both particular and general appear all day. What wisdom sees is not as though looking down a microscope, indeed it would come away with the impression of how ordinary and “like now” it all is.

Consciousness is not separate from the Noble Truths. It is Dukkha, the first Noble Truth. The second Noble Truth, craving, this cannot arise without consciousness. The fourth, the Path, these refer to mental factors that must arise with consciousness. You're thinking and considering all this is not without consciousness. There is consciousness now and at all times, so why not begin with this?

C: 4) Also with all levels of understanding is the mental factor of saddha or confidence / faith, are you saying that this cannot arise for one who does not see individual consciousness rise and fall away?

E: 4) I am sure faith plays a role in Buddhism and other religions. It only matters to the view of the teaching as to how the being/aspirant sees consciousness.

It doesn't look like you understood what I was referring to.
Saddha is a mental factor which arises with all wholesome consciousness. It is there already when the wholesome state arises and is not about a particular line of thought / attitude towards a set of teachings. There are two kinds of faith, one which reflects confidence in all good deeds. The other is associated only with the Buddha's teachings; it arises with all instances of Right Understanding and reflects confidence in the Path. When the level of understanding is weak as in intellectual understanding, the confidence is of the corresponding strength. This means that as understanding develops, the confidence also grows. This is why with enlightenment; the confidence becomes perfect / unshakeable.

I think this is in contrast to how most people and probably you as well, picture faith, which is more about a belief in something one has yet to experience or understand. But from where I stand, this looks to be more about attachment, and should therefore be discouraged. Studying the Buddha's teachings requires understanding all the way through from the first step to the last, and with each step not only does confidence grow, but also there is a corresponding level of detachment.

C: 5) This is not right is it, given that you approach the teachings in order to understand and then suddenly appeal to empirical evidence to judge whether or not the Buddha was right?

E: 5) I am not a Buddhist so I am not seeking to prove Buddha right or wrong. I have the utmost respect for his Dhamma. The reason I refer to empirical evidence is that it is 'me' who needs to understand. I do not need another to understand me or persuade me, hence I was seeking for empirical evidence in my being.

The only way that respect is shown towards the Buddha is through the development of Right understanding. If there is wrong understanding, this can't be respect, can it?

Why do you refer to empirical evidence then if you think that it is about understanding? You either understand or you don't and know it. But you questioned about the impermanence of citta and needed to be proven that indeed the description given reflects the reality. And you even went on to suggest not only that citta is permanent, but identify this as being the same as Atman, which as you know, is what the concept of Anatta directly denies the existence of. Is this the attitude of someone who acknowledges his own ignorance or is it of someone who thinks he knows better?

C: 6) And since you refer to the need for evidence, why don’t you show me the evidence for permanence and atman?

E: 6) For clarity, I am not here to convince others of my views. Rather I would like to learn more about Sikhism, which is why I am posting here, using my views as a sounding board to receive criticism, correction and help to my answers. That said, I have no desire to convince anyone of the Atman (if convincing someone were even possible).

You don't have to try and convince anyone, but you can give an explanation in order that the other person knows where you are coming from. If you say that you have no basis to believe in non-self and impermanence, telling me what the basis for the belief in Atman and permanence is would help with the discussion, I would think.

E: The reasoning for why I am not a Buddhist might be called ignorance by Buddhists, that is fine too.

I would say no right view has arisen; instead much wrong view has been conditioned to arise. (And this is worse than saying that it is due to ignorance isn't it. ;-)) But you don't know and I don't know about any right view that may have arisen in the past and accumulated, hence why I can't rule out the possibility that you may one day understand.

E: When I turned to Buddhism to understand it, it was for a different reason than to end suffering for myself.

You'd have to know what “suffering” is first, before you can think to develop right understanding in order to end it. I hardly understand what suffering as in the First Noble Truth is. My interest is directed towards understanding this First Truth better, that's all.

E: What attracted me to Theravada was that it does not require Varna. I learnt that there are over 166 Million Dalit Dalits (untouchables) and I wanted to understand Buddhism further in respect to their position. Varna is something I feel I need to understand better as it overlaps into social and political spheres it seems.

Yes, these are social considerations, which is not the objective of the Buddhadhamma. You won't find statements such as “no varna”, “equal rights for all”, “women should be treated as equal to men”, or even such suggestions as “one should treat everyone with kindness”. The point at all times is to develop right understanding of the present moment. From this it follows automatically that good deeds are seen as skillful and bad deeds as unskillful. No need to tell oneself to be and do good, let alone adopt particular attitudes in relation to society. Indeed it would seem that those who need prompting and who then tend also to prompt others 'to do good', 'to treat everyone equally' and those who think to develop loving kindness and such, are the ones who lack these qualities. And because they also lack understanding, they end up trying to do these things just so as to feel good about themselves. This is reflection of the worst of afflictions, namely “attachment to self”, the Second Noble Truth, which they all end up believing to be good. :-/

Embers

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
EU
Dear Confused Ji
I think a better approach, for me, is that we continue to interact here, however I will attempt to control my time online and the number of posts I make a day.

We begin and end with our moment to moment experience. No need to refer abstractly to consciousness, mental factors or physical phenomena and no need to think about Nibbana beyond the fact that it is the unconditioned which is the object of the path and fruition consciousness. Now, from moment to moment, there is seeing, touching, feeling, perception, visible object, sound, hardness, pressure, attachment, ignorance and so many other realities. All these, like consciousness, rise and fall away by conditions and can be known as such. So no need to start particularly with consciousness, but whatever appears “now”.
The issue as I see it above is mainly one of vocabulary. When I say soul, Consciousness or Atman, it is because I am on a Sikh forum or I am writing from the perspective of Vedanta. Lets start afresh and I will speak in this thread as a student of Theravada. I will accept anatta, anicca and dukkha for the purpose of our conversation.

The only way that respect is shown towards the Buddha is through the development of Right understanding. If there is wrong understanding, this can't be respect, can it?
Correct, as a theravadin it would not be respectful to hold a wrong view. So from now on I will speak with acceptance of anatta, anicca and dukkha as true and expose any misunderstanding or questions I have on Theravada exclusively.

Why do you refer to empirical evidence then if you think that it is about understanding? You either understand or you don't and know it. But you questioned about the impermanence of citta and needed to be proven that indeed the description given reflects the reality. And you even went on to suggest not only that citta is permanent, but identify this as being the same as Atman, which as you know, is what the concept of Anatta directly denies the existence of. Is this the attitude of someone who acknowledges his own ignorance or is it of someone who thinks he knows better?
You are right. I see the error from the perspective of anatta. Citta cannot be Atman and hence cannot be the unconditioned or right view from the Buddhist perspective. To assume that continuous citta is equal to atman is incorrect.

You'd have to know what “suffering” is first, before you can think to develop right understanding in order to end it. I hardly understand what suffering as in the First Noble Truth is. My interest is directed towards understanding this First Truth better, that's all.
My understanding of suffering is when craving and aversion are taken to be self or as having an innate quality ignorantly assumed to require a volitional response. The ignorance includes 1) view that there is a self, and 2) view that anything arising is permanent. Permanence requires a self in order for time and space to have a relative reference point. By this I mean that we will suffer if an object we want ends, or if something we wish to avoid is happening to us. Both views are based on a self view, which is wrong. Insight into anatta removes the view of self. Anicca removes the concept that any phenomena have permanence of course. This is a crude explanation but my understanding is that insight of anatta and anicca assist in the removal of ignorance, craving and aversion: all of which are dukkha.

Can you assist me to understand the suffering inherent in the formations (saṅkhāra-dukkhatā)? Formations are of course anicca and anatta, however is dukkha inerent in the formations even when the Unconditioned is known?

Thanks

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: