Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Learn Kirtan Software

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by gsingh2011, Apr 2, 2012.

1. gsingh2011

gsingh2011 United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Hi everyone. I've written a software to help people learn kirtan. You can find the download links and instructions at https://github.com/gsingh93/Learn-Kirtan/wiki. Please note that you must have java installed from http://java.com/en/ to use the application.

In short, you can type notes (sa, re, ga, ma, pa, dha, ni) into the editor and click play to see them played on the screen. Komal notes have an apostrophe before them ('ga) and theevra notes have an apostrophe after them (ma'). Notes that are in the upper scale have a period after them (sa.) and lower scale notes have the period before them (.ni). There are more features, like labels and holding notes for more than one beat that you can read about on the download page.

This software is still in beta, so you're bound to find bugs in it. I've only tested it on a Windows 7 machine, and I don't know how it will run on other machines, but feel free to try. Also, I've heard that there are some glitches on slower machines. Please let me know about any issues you find.

This software is opensource. That means that the code is publicly available online, and anyone can contribute. If you're a developer and want to contribute, I'd love to work with you, and I really need the help.

If you like this software, please spread the word. Thanks!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    General Learn Gurbani Kirtan at home! Hard Talk Mar 15, 2008
    Sikh News Learn Kirtan at home, without a teacher! Breaking News Nov 14, 2007
    Learning By Any Means New to Sikhism Nov 7, 2016
    Sikh News Mohali Firm Creates Portal To Help Kids Learn About Sikh And Punjabi Culture, Approaches Breaking News Sep 17, 2016
    What I Could Learn From My 'colleagues From Hell' Hard Talk Aug 12, 2016

3. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

On my Win 7 machine the Java etc is correctly installed and works for all programmes..but for this prog it gives an error: java file affiliation not correctly installed..SOUND may not work. And so there is Total SILENCE when a shabad is typed in and played. The colours light up on the virtual keyboard...but no SOUND.
    Whats the problem ? Will write more after second try after this problem is solved. thanks Ji.

4. gsingh2011

gsingh2011 United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

First of all, thanks for trying it out. Secondly, there should be an easy fix to your problem. In short the reason why it's happening is that java needs a certain file to play, and I tried to have the application install that file itself so you don't have to worry about it. It looks like for some reason the application wasn't able to install the file automatically, so the solution is to install it yourself. But it's a simple process.

1. Download this file (soundbank-min.gm): http://www.mediafire.com/?b8029cau87s9ikn
    2. Go to C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jre6/lib/audio or C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/lib/audio. Note that the number after jre might be different for you, if that's the case, you're running an old version of java (which might be Ok, we'll find out). If neither of those directories exist, then you don't have Java installed correctly, and I'd recommend reinstalling it.
    3. Now try running the application again after you've closed the one that wasn't working.

Let me know if you still have issues, I'll be happy to help.

5. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

OK ji that worked !! let me play around for a day or so..and will be sure to let you know how it goes..Thanks.

Post a few more shabads that you have already prepared....that will be wonderful for my students who actually know nothing..except cut and paste...but that in itself may be a first step to ignite their curiosity..and maybe proceed to learning Kirtan...thats the way I teach ji....get them interested first any which way...then let Nature take its course...
    Thanks again...

6. gsingh2011

gsingh2011 United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I just wanted to let you know that a slightly more up to date version has been posted. One important change is that two notes can now be played in one beat by type a dash connecting them. For example sa-sa would play two sa's in one beat. The other major change is that now the software will alert you of updates.

Also, I've added some more sample shabads!

Again, please spread the word so more people can start using this!

7. Kanwaljit Singh

Kanwaljit Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    Apache Spark, Scala developer
    Writer SPNer

can we use keyboard to play it in real time, that would be great thing to try out?

8. gsingh2011

gsingh2011 United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Not yet, but that's on my TODO list. I'm hoping to have it out in the next major release (v0.4).

• Like Like x 2
  9. ballym

ballym
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I downloaded. I also updated java. Restarted my computer but the .jar file opens a java screen without keybord pic. it just gives top buttons of PLAY pause stop . Nothing plays when "play" is clicked since there is no file to play.
    Any fix?
    I am on window 7.

10. gsingh2011

gsingh2011 United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I noticed this problem while testing, but it should have been fixed in the release. The issue that was causing this problem previously was that either the keyboard or the editor were too big. But like, I said that should have been fixed...

I'll look into this problem to see if I can reproduce it myself. I may have to send you a modified copy of the software that will give me more information about what's going on. Sorry about this, and thanks for letting me know.

EDIT: I thought maybe screen resolution was causing the problem, since that might resize the window, but I was only able to reproduce your issue by lowering the resolution to 800x600, and I doubt your resolution would be that low...

11. ballym

ballym
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Resolved.
    On the screen resolution option , there is an option for " make text size smaller or larger". I had it at 125%. I got the display correct by changing it to 100, even though i do not like smaller text for my display. May be you can have a programming fix to allow larger size of 125%. Thanks

And how to get shabad notes?

12. gsingh2011

gsingh2011 United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I'm glad you got it working. I'll add allowing different screen sizes to my list of things todo (it really would be nice if there was another developer who could help me get all this done).

The instructions for typing notes are on the site. If you simply want prewritten shabads, I'm adding some on the site as I get them from people. In the future, I'll have the words above the notes, but this is a still a beta release. But even then, just learning the notes is a start.

13. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

I also dont think screen resolution is a problem jios...i have almost 100 computers on line..and i loaded it on all...screen resolutions range from 800/600 to the extremely high end Large screen LEDs...no problems on any...
    Thanks for the updates and more samples..just fine.japposatnamwaheguru: ( Now we have a playing WAJA with SOUND instead of just this...japposatnamwaheguru:japposatnamwaheguru:!!!!cheerleader