Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sign Up Now!

ldb file and multiple user worries.

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by scubadiver, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. scubadiver

    scubadiver
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    My db is on a network.

    When a db is opened the ldb file appears and when the db is closed, the ldb
    file SHOULD disappear. On occasion I have deleted the ldb file with no
    problem and sometimes I get a "file sharing violation" message. Do I presume
    this means the db IS being used?

    Also, if the ldb exists can multiple users still enter and save information
    to the same file.

    It does worry me a bit.

    cheers.
     
  2. Loading...

    Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh News Profiled US Sikh Throws 'Know Me' Challenge Breaking News Jul 25, 2016
    Hard Talk Sikh Musician Racially Profiled At US Restaurant Hard Talk Jul 6, 2016
    India Patna man files defamation suit against son for inter-caste marriage Breaking News Jan 6, 2014
    USA Federal hate crime indictment filed in 'savage' attack on cab driver Breaking News Apr 4, 2013
    Malaysia Bank Islam Files Police Reports Against Chief Economist Breaking News Jan 23, 2013

  3. Joseph Meehan

    Joseph Meehan
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    scubadiver wrote:
    > My db is on a network.
    >
    > When a db is opened the ldb file appears and when the db is closed,
    > the ldb file SHOULD disappear. On occasion I have deleted the ldb
    > file with no problem and sometimes I get a "file sharing violation"
    > message. Do I presume this means the db IS being used?
    >
    > Also, if the ldb exists can multiple users still enter and save
    > information to the same file.
    >
    > It does worry me a bit.
    >
    > cheers.


    That LDB file is the Locking DataBase file. It exist to keep track of
    who has the file open and acts as a kind of traffic cop to bring some sort
    of order to a situation where another user is also trying to edit a file a
    second user is already editing.

    You can use the file to get a list of who is currently using the file.

    On occasion the file does not get deleted when someone is no longer
    using the database, this usually happens when they just turn off their
    computer without closing the file or access. This can cause some problems

    You are right that when you get the file sharing error message, likely
    someone has it open. With a LDB utility you can find out who has it open.
    That same utility is helpful if you want to do maintenance on the file that
    requires it to be opened exclusively and you need to have someone log off.


    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
     
  4. Nikos Yannacopoulos

    Nikos Yannacopoulos
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Access is intended for multi-user apps (as a file share, though, rather
    than a true client / server system). The lock file (.ldb) is created
    when the first user opens the database, and deleted when the last user
    exits. It does not prevent other users from connecting to the already
    opened database, it only prevents exclusive opening (necessary fro
    administrative operations only, not normal daily use). So, the behaviour
    of the lock file that you have been observing is normal, if one or more
    other users also use the database.
    Note, though, that fore a multi-user database application, you must
    split your app to a front end (containing everything but the tables) and
    a back end (containing only the tables), and place the BE in a shared
    folder on the server, which each user must have their own, exclusive
    copy of the FE (preferably on their local HDD). This not only helps
    prevent corruptions, but also makes maintenance easier. Splitting is
    quite easy, using the built-in wizard (Tools > Database Utilities >
    Database Splitter).

    HTH,
    Nikos
     
  5. scubadiver

    scubadiver
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    So how can I find out who is using the database?

    "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

    > scubadiver wrote:
    > > My db is on a network.
    > >
    > > When a db is opened the ldb file appears and when the db is closed,
    > > the ldb file SHOULD disappear. On occasion I have deleted the ldb
    > > file with no problem and sometimes I get a "file sharing violation"
    > > message. Do I presume this means the db IS being used?
    > >
    > > Also, if the ldb exists can multiple users still enter and save
    > > information to the same file.
    > >
    > > It does worry me a bit.
    > >
    > > cheers.

    >
    > That LDB file is the Locking DataBase file. It exist to keep track of
    > who has the file open and acts as a kind of traffic cop to bring some sort
    > of order to a situation where another user is also trying to edit a file a
    > second user is already editing.
    >
    > You can use the file to get a list of who is currently using the file.
    >
    > On occasion the file does not get deleted when someone is no longer
    > using the database, this usually happens when they just turn off their
    > computer without closing the file or access. This can cause some problems
    >
    > You are right that when you get the file sharing error message, likely
    > someone has it open. With a LDB utility you can find out who has it open.
    > That same utility is helpful if you want to do maintenance on the file that
    > requires it to be opened exclusively and you need to have someone log off.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > Dia duit
    >
    >
    >
     
  6. John Vinson

    John Vinson
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:24:01 -0700, scubadiver
    <scubadiver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >So how can I find out who is using the database?


    Just open the .ldb file in Notepad. It will list the userID's of
    everyone currently logged on. (Don't change or save anything of
    course!)

    John W. Vinson[MVP]
     
  7. Ron2006

    Ron2006
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Try this link: http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0055.htm

    it has a small access app that looks at the ldb file and will tell you
    all of the users that are logged into mdb that you reference.


    really neat and small, and the code for the form can be imported into
    any app that you want or run standalone out of this app. With that you
    may be able to tell what machine is actually holding open the ldb file
    without having to try to guess.

    The only time this app does NOT work is if the tables mdb is corrupt,
    in which case the notpad method would be the way.


    Ron
     

Share This Page