• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Lack Of Swordsmen: Saudi Arabia May Abolish Beheadings

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
A Lack of Swordsmen May Lead Saudis to Abolish Beheadings
By Sorcha Pollak

Read more: http://world.time.com/2013/03/11/a-...d-saudis-to-abolish-beheadings/#ixzz2NLw1WTB6

Is this what progress looks like in Saudi Arabia? The Kingdom is considering ending execution by beheading in favor of firing squads, reports the Egyptian English-language news website Ahram Online. A committee consisting of representatives from the Ministries of Interior, Justice and Health says there are shortages in government swordsmen and argue that a change to execution by firing squad would not violate Islamic law, the Saudi daily newspaper al-Youm writes. According to an official statement from the committee, “This solution seems practical, especially in light of shortages in official swordsmen or their belated arrival to execution yards in some incidents.”

Execution by beheading in Saudi Arabia has continually been condemned by human-rights groups. According to Human Rights Watch (HRW), at least 69 people were executed by beheading in 2012, while Amnesty International says 79 were killed under the death penalty in the same period. In 2012 HRW wrote, “Saudi Arabia has no penal code, so prosecutors and judges largely define criminal offenses at their discretion.” Rape, murder, armed robbery, drug trafficking and even suspected “sorcery” are punishable by death under Saudi Arabia’s Islamic law.

(MORE: Sri Lankan Maids Become Victims in Saudi Arabia)

The Saudi death penalty recently made headlines following the execution of Rizana Nafeek, a young Sri Lankan woman who was beheaded for the murder of her employers’ 4-month-old son. Nafeek arrived in Saudi Arabia in 2005 aged 17, but spent the next seven years in Saudi jails after the baby died under her care, writes CNN. The family of the boy believed he had been strangled by Nafeek, while she claimed he had choked on his milk. The young Sri Lankan immigrant had no access to a lawyer during her pretrial interrogation during which she said she was forced to sign a confession, notes CNN. The execution of this young woman revealed how “woefully out of step they [the Saudi justice system] are with their international obligations regarding the use of the death penalty,” said Philip Luther from Amnesty International. It highlighted how Saudi law tends to treat children as adults in criminal cases even though international law prohibits the death penalty for crimes committed before the age of 18, writes HRW.

A spokesperson for U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has said that Ban insists on the application of international human-rights law for all men and women in Saudi Arabia, regardless of their migration status or nationality. “We call on the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to join the growing world’s movement away from the death penalty,” said Rupert Colville, spokesman for the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights. However, representatives from Riyadh have rejected these calls as “external interference” and claim that Saudi Arabia “respects … all rules and laws and protects the rights of its people and residents,” writes Ahram Online.

Read more: http://world.time.com/2013/03/11/a-...d-saudis-to-abolish-beheadings/#ixzz2NLvaQNqe

GSingh1984

SPNer
Mar 28, 2013
There's also millions of slaves, especially black ones all across the muslim world.

Which reminds me, I have to add paragraphs to my thread on the millions of slaves in South asia, cuz I promised paanji. (also spn should have that good SEO. :p)

Anyway, the UN doesn't actually care or it would put fauj there.

GSingh1984

SPNer
Mar 28, 2013
Learned about this stuff a few days ago, :$

Where my mind is right now.

I just don't like all the apologizing, and false info that comes and when the truth comes out you see Pathans trying to be warriors by throwing acid at paana.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Learned about this stuff a few days ago, :$

Where my mind is right now.

I just don't like all the apologizing, and false info that comes and when the truth comes out you see Pathans trying to be warriors by throwing acid at paana.

What Pathans? What are you talking about? More strawman arguments. Who is the object of this rant?

GSingh1984

SPNer
Mar 28, 2013
No-one is the object of my post; I'm not making a rant, what I mean to say is that when hearing things like this, people focus on who's doing it i.e singling them out instead of looking at the doctrine behind it.

It's like saying a pipe is broken because there's no water coming out, but the lake behind it is dry.
---
And by apologizing I mean, saying this is a mis-interpratation of this, or it cannot be so (all the violence) but when the truth comes out, about who's considered a 'good muslim' the perennial image is a pathan taliban throwing acid at a woman.

Breaking it down:
1. women are half of men and to be kept in their place
2. The whole jihad thing that the taliban does
3. Make war, and strike terror into the hearts of kafirs
4. All the apology etc. is in line with the doctrine of deceit to be found through all three books.

You don't understand, that people actually believe this stuff.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
GSingh1984 ji

Make this your last rant of the day. Pick one issue and discuss it in a way that allows others to a) understand your point of view b) have some hope of being able to engage in a discussion. Ranting is actually a violation of the forum rule: to discuss issues. Thanks

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM