• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Kushwant Singh ?

ISDhillon

SPNer
Dec 13, 2005
Satsriakal Cybersangat Ji

How do sikhs view Kushwant Singh and how do we feel about him writing on sikh history? I have supplied you a news report below please read then tell, its just in the past I have read stuff from him which I find quite upsetting about sikhism especially how he tainted freedom fighters as terrorists, perhaps he is a good example of how people can reform thats if he has reformed, what do you think? I dont want this to be a debate about 1984 just whether you think he has changed alot of his pro-congress views.

http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=218114&cat=India

Khushwant, Manmohan talk the glory of Sikhism
New Delhi | January 13, 2006 3:45:10 AM IST

If getting published by the Oxford University Press is like getting married to a Duchess, what can be the pleasure of a book published by the Oxford being released by the Prime Minister? Celebrated Indian author Khushwant Singh had the best of both the worlds this evening when he received precisely the same privilege -- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh opened the ribbons wrapping the nanogenarian's newest book, 'The Illustrated History of the Sikhs', brought out by the Oxford University Press.

After he finished writing the first edition of the book, the man with malice towards one and all was doubtful if Sikhism would survive the twentieth century. But today as he walked up to the stage to a standing ovation from the audience full of Singh's friends and fans, the feeling was that of elation.
"Twenty years ago, we saw the Blue Star operation, assassination of Mrs Indira Gandhi and the massacre of Sikhs. It almost felt we were alienated from the mainstream," he said, talking straight from the past.
"It took a long time to turn around and turn around it did. Today you have a Sikh Prime Minister, a Sikh as the chief of the Army and a Sikh as the Deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission," he said with his sense of pride as a Sikh writ large on his beaming face.
About the Prime Minister, he reserved his special praise. "I have not seen a man who has achieved so much but retains his sense of humility." He, however, was not so forthcoming about the Prime Minister's wife. "Gurcharan Kaurji wanted the book launch to be in her home.
But a book release with tea and pakoras was not my idea of celebration," he said amid roars of laughter.
Though she agreed to shift the launch venue to the Le Meridien Hotel, Mrs Kaur extracted a price for the change "that no liquor would be served". He may have agreed to it, but the flamboyant author, had other ideas. "I hope you will bear with me," he told the audience, adding in the same breath, "We will wait a little".
On his part, the Prime Minister profusely praised the author saying "his has been a truly creative life".
Calling Sikhism as an "intensely humane" religion, Dr Singh said there was a "dark period" in the 80s when some people tried to wean away the Sikhs from the mainsteam. "That dark phase is over. The Sikh community has regained its confidence." The book, which spans five centuries of Sikh history from Guru Nanak to Maharaja Ranjit Singh and Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale to Dr Manmohan Singh, celebrates the life and times of the community till today.
UNI FZ RR RK2012

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Brother Indy

You have touched a topic that has been on back of mind from quite sometime

I agree with you on the point that Khushwant Singh has gone through various phases of the way he speaks about Sikhism
I also at one time doubted the competency of such a man writing sikh history but then I realised that (Its just my personal view) That thing that he lacks is Spirtuality

He is very kind so called logical and no doubt very creative as writer and I love his style of writing
But for a role of an Historian he is not a bad choice

About 1984 It is now kind of known understanding with me that people are divided on what happened ,what was wrong or right
The reason is so called logical peopellike kushwant singh fail to see the complete picture of the happenings in 1984 which included Baba Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale because Logic repeatedly fail catch whole picture as usual and also as Willed by Akal

To Conclude I am really very Happy for the Great Sikh Writer Khushwant Singh and his contribution as he has many many more postives to loved and respected then few negatives to be hated

Jatinder Singh

ISDhillon

SPNer
Dec 13, 2005
Satsriakal Dr Khalsa Ji:rofl:

I think Kushwant Singh Has always struck me as an atheist I think their is a difference in class not just caste of sikhs I thik perhaps he is a bit snobby. Perhaps it just is spirituality that he lacks.

I remember years ago people had a lot of hatred for him and would say a lot of things which were quite harsh I suppose he has changed now personally it pains me to read something that perhaps I insiside would not wish to be true thatis why I dont read his works I may read this one but I hope it is written more sensitively than the others.

Thanks,

Indy:)

Dec 8, 2005
Dear Brother

SSAKAL

I think 80's period was a time our generation will never be able to understand.

It will take at least 100 years from now when a more evolved Punjabi will take a deeper and dissapionate view of the whole story without trying to score one man upship on who was right and who was wrong. Prof Kushwant is too deeply affected by events to reason it out plus he is not spiritual also.

It is however important to take all the facts from the currant alive generation and from all the affected parties who went thru that period with a open heart. It will be a painful story at all ends but must be writtten so as to be understood at a later date.

It will be worth while to have a thread on this site to document the facts from every affected individual of what ever so called Punjabi group on a new thread on this site .

It is a part of our history we cannot sweep it under a carpet . Since emotions cloud our reasoning let us leave it to the future evolved Punjabi to deal with it.

The only good is that we will today leave behind a more mature and safe Punjab for our childrens.

Though I am also aware that many more Punjab exist on this planet today . It will be an Indian Punjab saga.

With luv

Sarvat tha Bhalla

:) hps62:)

ISDhillon

SPNer
Dec 13, 2005
Dear hps62 Ji, :cool:

Thankyou for your last post it was a breath of fresh air, it also got me think off topic as perusual, I hear frequently people saying things like "....so and so are a victim of political correctness...", and I was wondering I think indirectly we have all on a psychological level become victims of terrorism especially when we look at media from palestine and iraq etc we do in a sense let the fear over there dictate our daily conduct without realising it. There has been a lot of legislation passed in the uk parliment after the bombings on the tube stations and I think we have in a sense become too nicey spicey to certain religious groups which is borne out of fear, perhaps it is a form ofappeasement but whatever the case I think in politics we should always remain focussed and not let the 5 demons affect our judgement.

I know its off topic but just had a thought so had to say,

Indy:up:

Dec 8, 2005
dear Indyji

SSAKAL

1.I feel we must start a new thread on this site to bring in facts of the all the story of 80's Punjab.
One of our great grand children will certianly write a book on it . You will have to design a porforma for it to be easily interoreted by them.

2. Secondly you have talked of fear as a weapon being used by certian religious group to earn appeasment.

Actually one of the divine reason so many Sikhs have gone abroad is to teach the message of fearlessness. The so called White men must be taught by sikhs what is fearlessness which is part of our rich history .

"NA DAROO AUR JAB CHAYE LAROO NISHE KAR APNI JEET KARO "

This should be the house hold motto of every White man house . After all his technological innovations have benifetted all the mankind

Let then fearlessness be a return gifts from SIKH to them to enrich their great society whose members we are all a part. This form of fusion of values will be a big gain to the society you all inhabit

Luv

SSAKAL

:) hps62:)

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh
NA DAROO AUR JAB CHAYE LAROO NISHE KAR APNI JEET KARO

it should be correctly as

NA DAROO ARI SO JAB CHAYE LAROO NISHE KAR APNI JEET KARO

ARI SO means 'by foe'.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM