• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Krodh (anger Or Rage)

Aug 17, 2009
Pbhula Chuka muaaf karni tell me something sangat ji is it possible in those times when the malechch were attacking us, torturing our Gurus, plundering religious places that there would have been no anger in our minds . Today whenever there are attacks on our country or our community we feel anger. I have faced the negative effects of anger which have affected my health however I just cannot remain calm, I get agitated and just feel to unsheath the kirpan and rush on the street .

I really dont know what is right. I had undergone some changes in life some years ago and was almost getting over my anger and I was liking that feeling in a way and hating it in another. I was not able to understand that at that stage if I am not getting angry and excited why is it like that, I started hating that calm feeling and then gradually went back to my normal self.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Pbhula Chuka muaaf karni tell me something sangat ji is it possible in those times when the malechch were attacking us, torturing our Gurus, plundering religious places that there would have been no anger in our minds . Today whenever there are attacks on our country or our community we feel anger. I have faced the negative effects of anger which have affected my health however I just cannot remain calm, I get agitated and just feel to unsheath the kirpan and rush on the street .

I really dont know what is right. I had undergone some changes in life some years ago and was almost getting over my anger and I was liking that feeling in a way and hating it in another. I was not able to understand that at that stage if I am not getting angry and excited why is it like that, I started hating that calm feeling and then gradually went back to my normal self.

The man who can be calm and have no malice for his/her enemy in the midst of battle is I suppose the goal.

Aug 17, 2009
isnt it difficult ? If am in the midst of a fight on the road, i grit my teeth and there is a whole volley of slurs and abuses the most favorite of all punjabis is 'oye bhe***od'

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009

Changes in life impact upon our temperament. Our moods do change. This is why we seek refuge in Gurbani to bring about a consistency in our disposition towards human kind.

However, it is natural to feel anger when we see or experience injustice. But such anger must be harnessed to give an appropriate, but timely, reply. Violence is the last resort as The Tenth Nanak proclaimed – when all means of addressing a wrong fail it is just and pious to consider force. Sikhism does not subscribe to the Gandhian philosophy of passive resistance in the face of continued atrocities. It is cowardice to continually tolerate cruelty.

Sikhs are a volatile people and often react in haste to their detriment. Perseverance needs to be cultivated and wait for the right opportunity.

I remember an old Punjabi song sung by Rafi Sahib based on folk: darr vatt zamana katt bhaley din aavangey (grit your teeth, bide your time and better days will come).

Hope this helps.

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: