• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

KPS Gill A Convict, Strip Him Of Padma Shri: Rupan Deol

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
KPS Gill a convict, strip him of Padma Shri: Rupan Deol

KPS Gill a convict, strip him of Padma Shri: Rupan Deol - India - The Times of India

CHANDIGARH: Calling former Punjab DGP K P S Gill a convict, ex-IAS officer Rupan Deol Bajaj, who fought a case of sexual harassment against the top cop, said on Tuesday that Gill didn't deserve the Padma Shri the government gave him and that it should be withdrawn.

Bajaj's call came a day after the Union government decided to withdraw former Haryana DGP S P S Rathore's police medal after he was convicted of molesting Ruchika Girhotra. Talking to TOI, Rupan said,

"Gill was convicted of sexual harassment charges by the Supreme Court and it's high time the government withdrew the Padma Shri award it gave him."

Deol also said she is not going to fight for taking back the national honour from Gill, urging the nation to fight for the dignity of a woman.

Deol, who is now an information commissioner, said Gill was given the award in 1989 even when he had been booked for trying to outrage her modesty. This was done despite more than 90 IAS officers petitioning the government not to honour a person involved in a molestation case.

"The then government ignored the petition, emboldening people like Rathore, who later molested Ruchika," she said. A source in Gill's office said the MHA's decision wouldn't affect him as his sentence was kept in abeyance. When TOI contacted Gill for comments, he refused comment.

With a precedent being set for the withdrawal of medals awarded to Rathore questions are being asked whether this would mean Gill could lose his awards. Senior advocate K T S Tulsi came out in the officer's defence.

"Remember, in 1996, Gill was convicted for outraging the modesty of a lady IAS officer. Now stripping him off his medals is unjustified. K P S Gill is an outstanding officer. They will need to balance acts of courage with this minor blemish. Anyone can have false accusations against them. Anyone can have an accusation that is blown out of proportion," Tulsi said.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
KP- Gill should be stripped of a whole lot more than this award. Every time I see a picture of him, I am overwhelmed by the urge to rip the turban that he so disgraces off his head. He has done even more evil against the Sikh nation than any other modern person not a member of the Nehru-Gandhi clique. His many disgusting crimes should be made public, he should be tried, found guilty and stripped of his miserable life.

But don't hold your breath, ji!

I try to find some good in everybody. With this one, I have tried - and failed. The earth will be a cleaner place when he is no longer on it.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM