• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Knights In Shining Armour

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This story defines for me my first impressions of Sikhi. It was not Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji at that point in time, but a small number of Singhs who were honorable, gentle and centered on rightness, which is the original meaning of dharma. Forgive me. I do not read any hidden messages or open messages that question what the 20+ girl was wearing. The knight in shining armour did the right thing. It was the right thing without any conditions or qualifications.

Knights in Shining Armour
UPENDER SINGH

http://www.sikhchic.com/current_events/knights_in_shining_armour

It was about 9.30 at night in Delhi, India. In the year 1996.

I was coming home from coaching classes in Patel Nagar. I boarded the DTC (Delhi Transport Corp.) bus at Laxmi Nagar. There were, maybe, a dozen people or so in the bus: a 20-something young woman, a 50-year old lady, an old 70-year old Sikh gentleman, 6 to 7 other middle aged men, and I.

I was a 17 years old then.

At the next stop, four drunks boarded the bus. These guys were rough, the kind you stay away from.

Soon, they started physically/sexually harassing the 20+ year old woman in the bus. One of them grabbed the girl from her waist. Everyone started looking down, pretending nothing was happening; they did not want to risk their lives.

My blood was boiling, but I did not have the courage to say anything either.

Then, I witnessed something that changed my life.

The 70-year old Sikh gentleman stood up and pulled one of the men away from the girl and kicked the other guy in the shin. This old man was short and not at all athletic but he sure had the courage of a lion.

To my surprise, the drunks lost all their boldness and quickly jumped off the bus.

After these guys left, everyone in the bus thanked this man.

I was amazed. I said “Baba ji, you have a lot of courage!”. He replied that the courage was Guru Gobind Singh's gift … nothing he could take credit for.

After reading about the recent gang-rape in Delhi, I thought of that old man/uncle ji. If this rapist had met a few of Guru Gobind Singh's Sikhs in their earlier escapades, they would never have dared to go this this time.

The first thing we need is the courage to stand up for the women in Delhi and India. More importantly, the courage to stand against evil with conviction, for those in distress.

These injustices won't stop with online petitions going around on Facebook and Twitter for capital punishment for the rapists. However the hooligans do disappear when we show the courage our Guru has demanded of us.

There never have been, there aren’t now, anyone but Sikhs in the country who have the capacity to show such courage in defending strangers in the face of great peril to themselves.

Yet, the self-destructive tendencies of India and Indians are now bent upon ensuring that they lose the benefit of this community which is unique in the land for displaying a civic sense of public responsibility, instead of emulating it. Alas!

January 3, 2012

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
This is a testimony of genuine Sikhi in action. Thank you.
With absolutely no intention of insulting or accusing anyone, I am struck with an observation. I must be delicate with my words.
In these modern times I fear we sometimes follow the outwards of our faith and get complacent wth the spirit of it. Sikhs should remain ever strong, in every sense, and ever vigilant.
The white-power jackass who assaulted the Sikh temple in Wisconsin, in his stupidity, thought he was attacking muslims. I couldn't help thinking of this scenario:
It would have been so beautiful if he had walked in, expecting an easy massacre, and instead encountered one or more spiritual warriors who, as soon as they recognize his intentions, drew sharp kirpans and laid him low.
Please, I am not implying those innocent people in the Wisconsin gurdwara did anything at all wrong, I'm just daydreaming how it could have turned out if we were indeed all in tip-top form in terms of physical strength and martial arts training in defense of our faith. I can't help thinking if such a thing happened in the times of Guru Hargobind or in a modern-day temple infused with the living spirit of Guru Hargobind, this would have turned out differently. This clown would have been sadly surprised.

Last edited:

BlazinSikh

SPNer
May 6, 2011
Croydon, London, England
Waheguru Ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ke fateh!

This incident shows how what the 10 pyaarai Guru have done for us and told us, were not some fairy tales, but nothing but the truth. Dhan Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Har Har Oi Onkar ji. I'll be honest I don't think I would of done, what Dada Ji did God bless him.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke fateh!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM