• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Khalsa Aid Khalsa Aid (A Photo Essay Of Sewa)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Neither floods, nor starvation, nor fire, nor famine, nor disease, nor earthquake has stopped Khalsa Aid from reaching to the 4 corners of the earth to give comfort and ease pain.

http://www.khalsaaid.org/

This is a short photo essay that celebrates them. The best way to get acquainted with Khalsa Aid is in the words of their founder, Ravinder Singh Sidhu.

How it started

I was a committee member of Singh Sabba Gurudwara Slough Executive committee from 1998-1999 (never been in any Gurudwara committee since but strongly recommend everyone should be in a committee at least once in their life). The forthcoming tri-centenary of the Khalsa was the main discussion point in most meetings. There were many opinions as to what was the best way to mark the 300th birth of the Khalsa. I was very adamant within myself that something good should rise to mark this historical occasion which not only got the Sangat (Sikh Community) involved but the whole world should be aware of this momentous occasion in the Sikh history. At the time of the celebrations across the UK (also the world) there was a very bloody war in Kosovo and every news bulletin carried the terrible pictures of the refugees struggling to cross the cold and mountainous border to reach a safer and peaceful Albania. The tide of refugees was a never ending tale of suffering and hardship. So I thought to myself that there was so much food at the Khalsa celebrations yet only 1700 miles away there were people fighting for a loaf of bread! I was reading a national newspaper when I read about a small group who were organising an aid convoy to Albania. The inspiration from Bhai Ghaniya Ji and SARBAT THE BHALLA (well being of all) came rushing into my mind and at that moment Khalsa Aid was born.

I spoke to my friend Jatinder Singh about it and he promptly got on to his computer to publicise Khalsa Aid and by the next day I had phoned the group from the newspaper to join them to deliver aid to the needy in Albania from the Sikh community. The Sangat was extremely generous in donating food, money etc and within 2 weeks we were on our way with 2 trucks and a van load of aid to Albania. The rest is history!! Since 1999 Khalsa Aid has provided relief to many people suffering from earthquakes, Tsunami etc. The unpaid volunteers have helped to make Khalsa Aid a global relief agency and from the whole committee we thank them for their input and dedication.

We still have a very long way to go and through your generous support I am sure we can continue to offer assistance to the needy around the world.

Ravinder Singh Sidhu
Chairman/Founder
Khalsa Aid

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Projects

Past Relief Efforts

Whether one is travelling to new surroundings, escaping from dangerous situations, or communicating with victims of a tragedy, relief work always brings surprises, challenges and rewards. Khalsa Aid has had the opportunity to serve the world throughout humanitarian crises since 1999. None of this would be possible without the support of the sangat (congregation), who provided social, psychological, spiritual, and financial support. Please click the link below to view some short summaries of our past relief missions.

http://www.khalsaaid.org/projects.html

Albania - Aiding Displaced Kosovan Refugees.
Turkey - Earthquake Relief.
Orissa, India - Rehabilitation After a Devastating Typhoon.
Gujarat, India - Earthquake-Response Relief Aid.
DR Congo- Relief Efforts In Response To a Volcanic Eruption.
Somalia - Water Purification Assistance.
Kabul, Afghanistan - War Rehabilitation Assistance.
Tsunami - Providing Food, Shelter & Sanitation.
Pakistan - Providing Rehabilitation & Assistance.
Indonesia - Art Therapy Sessions for Young Children.
Panjab Drugs Project - Drugs Abuse in Panjab.
Pathargaat (Dhaka,Bangladesh) - Cyclone Effected Area.
Panjab Floods - Panjab Floods Relief.
Displaced Sikhs in Pakistan - Panja Sahib Gurudwara, Pakistan.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The Sewa

Our Work

Khalsa Aid (KA) is primarily a humanitarian relief agency, based on the teachings of the Sikh Gurus who preached well being of all humanity. Since the launch of KA in 1999 we have provided aid in many different disasters, this has only been possible due to the generosity of the Sikh community worldwide but mostly funded by the UK based Sikhs. The idea behind KA has been to provide cross border humanitarian relief and also to raise awareness of global relief and development work.

There are many obstacles in relief work but the main one is corruption especially in the developing world. It's very frustrating and unfortunate that during any disasters there will be people trying to make a 'fast buck' out of misery of the already downtrodden victims. We at Khalsa Aid have never given cash to any groups or individuals but have carried out our own assessments by our relief team and then appointed local contractors and suppliers. We believe that our donors expect us to be diligent and responsible for every penny that they donate.

You can donate at this link, http://www.khalsaaid.org/projects.html

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Future Plannings

Since the launch of Khalsa Aid (KA) in 1999 we have provided humanitarian relief in a dozen or so disasters, every relief mission have been a learning experience. Initially KA was providing relief through food rations and shelter and then more recently (during Tsunami relief) we also became involved in Sanitation and Water. This was something very new to us but we felt that to reduce the risk of disease outbreaks in camps we must provide a clean and reasonable living environment for the inhabitants. The lack of basic sanitation and clean drinking water is a perfect breeding ground for the rapid spread of water bourn diseases ie Dyharria , diphtheria, malaria (dirty standing water attracts mosquitoes) which normally results in many more unnecessary deaths.

So through experience and time KA evolved and now by using this valuable knowledge we will take the next step and launch our Development program. We will still remain an emergency relief organization but where its possible we will assist the poor and the underprivileged through short to long term development of their communities. This could include digging wells for water or repairing existing ones ,providing anti-natal clinics, repairing school buildings and supporting the school staff , providing working animals for milk etc etc.

Our aim for the next 12 months is to establish new contacts and to strengthen the existing ones, especially in the Horn of Africa which is continually suffering draught, famine and is one of the poorest areas on earth. Unfortunately the working environment for the relief agencies can change at a moments notice through war, change of local politics or kidnappings. It does get disheartening at times but KA will do as much as it can to reach out to the needy.

The next 12 months will also see the launch of Focus Panjab (FP). This new organization will ONLY be working in Panjab with our local partners (more details to follow) The need to launch a dedicated organization only for Panjab is for the many donors who wish to see some of their donations only spent on projects in Panjab. At presently we cannot give guarantees where the donations for KA will be spent.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
You can volunteer

How can I volunteer for Khalsa Aid?

Khalsa Aid needs volunteers for fundraising, exhibitions and for setting up local community projects. Please e mail your interest to volunteering@khalsaaid.org

How can I volunteer for overseas?

Yes, we are always in need for volunteers to travel on relief missions, we will require minimum of 15 days for the overseas assignment. Please fill in the online form or email us at volunteering@khalsaaid.org

Who can apply for overseas aid missions?

We will require minimum of 6 months of being a volunteer for Khalsa Aid before considering any individual to travel abroad for any assignment.

Do I pay for my own travelling expenses?

No, Khalsa Aid will pay for all expenses for the selected individuals but in some cases the volunteers have chosen to pay for their own expenses.

Volunteer at this link
http://www.khalsaaid.org/volunteer.html

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Work with Khalsa Aid! Support the sister charity Focus Punjab.

http://www.focuspunjab.org/

Focus Punjab is a dedicated website for all the projects of Khalsa Aid in Punjab. Since the launch of Khalsa Aid in 1999 the Sikh community has been extremely generous in providing funds to assist the most needy in disasters around the globe. We are very proud and honoured to belong a community which has suffered immense persecution and hardship since the time of Guru Nanak and yet still empty their pockets to anyone who needs assistance, regardless of race, religion, caste.

It was felt by Khalsa Aid that the Sikh Diaspora want to be involved in Punjab to tackle various social issues ( Drugs epidemic, poverty, female feticide etc ) which are effecting their own villages and extended families.Our aim is to empower the local organisations in Punjab to educate the next generation of children to the dangers of drugs addiction etc and to finanically assist the most underprivileged to archive higher education.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ਆਪੇ ਕਰੇ ਕਰਾਏ ਆਪੇ ॥

आपे करे कराए आपे ॥

Āpe kare karā▫e āpe.

He Himself acts, and causes others to act.

ਆਪੇ ਥਾਪਿ ਉਥਾਪੇ ਆਪੇ ॥

आपे थापि उथापे आपे ॥

Āpe thāp uthāpe āpe.

He Himself establishes and disestablishes.

ਤੁਝ ਤੇ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਹੋਵੈ ਤੂੰ ਆਪੇ ਕਾਰੈ ਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੬॥

तुझ ते बाहरि कछू न होवै तूं आपे कारै लावणिआ ॥६॥

Ŧujẖ ṯe bāhar kacẖẖū na hovai ṯūʼn āpe kārai lāvaṇi▫ā. ||6||

Without You, nothing can be done. You Yourself have engaged all in their tasks. ||6||

ਆਪੇ ਮਾਰੇ ਆਪਿ ਜੀਵਾਏ ॥

आपे मारे आपि जीवाए ॥

Āpe māre āp jīvā▫e.

He Himself kills, and He Himself revives.

ਆਪੇ ਮੇਲੇ ਮੇਲਿ ਮਿਲਾਏ ॥

आपे मेले मेलि मिलाए ॥

Āpe mele mel milā▫e.

He Himself unites us, and unites us in Union with Himself.

ਸੇਵਾ ਤੇ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਸਮਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥

सेवा ते सदा सुखु पाइआ गुरमुखि सहजि समावणिआ ॥७॥

Sevā ṯe saḏā sukẖ pā▫i▫ā gurmukẖ sahj samāvaṇi▫ā. ||7||

Through selfless service, eternal peace is obtained. The Gurmukh is absorbed in intuitive peace. ||7||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Working for him, hunger departs. The sewadar is nourished who nourishes others.

ਜਾ ਕੈ ਕਾਮਿ ਉਤਰੈ ਸਭ ਭੂਖ ॥

जा कै कामि उतरै सभ भूख ॥

Jā kai kām uṯrai sabẖ bẖūkẖ.

Working for Him, all hunger departs.

ਜਾ ਕੈ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਜੋਹਹਿ ਦੂਤ ॥

जा कै कामि न जोहहि दूत ॥

Jā kai kām na johėh ḏūṯ.

Working for Him, the Messenger of Death will not be watching you.

ਜਾ ਕੈ ਕਾਮਿ ਤੇਰਾ ਵਡ ਗਮਰੁ ॥

जा कै कामि तेरा वड गमरु ॥

Jā kai kām ṯerā vad gamar.

Working for Him, you shall obtain glorious greatness.

ਜਾ ਕੈ ਕਾਮਿ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਤੂੰ ਅਮਰੁ ॥੫॥

जा कै कामि होवहि तूं अमरु ॥५॥

Jā kai kām hovėh ṯūʼn amar. ||5||

Working for Him, you shall become immortal. ||5||

ਜਾ ਕੇ ਚਾਕਰ ਕਉ ਨਹੀ ਡਾਨ ॥

जा के चाकर कउ नही डान ॥

Jā ke cẖākar ka▫o nahī dān.

His servant does not suffer punishment.

ਜਾ ਕੇ ਚਾਕਰ ਕਉ ਨਹੀ ਬਾਨ ॥

जा के चाकर कउ नही बान ॥

Jā ke cẖākar ka▫o nahī bān.

His servant suffers no loss.

ਜਾ ਕੈ ਦਫਤਰਿ ਪੁਛੈ ਨ ਲੇਖਾ ॥

जा कै दफतरि पुछै न लेखा ॥

Jā kai ḏafṯar pucẖẖai na lekẖā.

In His Court, His servant does not have to answer for his account.

ਤਾ ਕੀ ਚਾਕਰੀ ਕਰਹੁ ਬਿਸੇਖਾ ॥੬॥

ता की चाकरी करहु बिसेखा ॥६॥

Ŧā kī cẖākrī karahu bisekẖā. ||6||

So serve Him with distinction. ||6|

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
In my eyes..Ravi Singh and his Khalsa Aid Organization is the Carrying on of the BHAI GHANIYAH Spirit that earned such a High Commendation form Our Ftaher Guru Gobind Singh ji Himself....Na Ko beri nahin Beganna sagal saang hum ko Bann ayee..None is my enemy..None a Stranger..All are my BROTHERS...and the next step in the Spirit if Bhagat POORAN SINGH JI Pinggalwarra Amritsar whose entire life was sepnt in Selfless SEWA of the Underprivileged, the unfortunate, the disadvantaged, the poor, the destitute...the unwnated so called dregs of society but nevertheless humans ..our brothers..
The face of Ravi Singh reminds me of these Two Great Sewadaars..Bhai Ghaniyah Ji and Bhagat Pooran Singh Ji....He is indeed a very blessed True SIKH in the Gurmatt Spirit. May Guru Ji Bless him and his team...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM