• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Kesh, And Some Other Questions, If I May

Seburiel

SPNer
Feb 23, 2008
San Antonio, Tx USA
Greetings, again.
As you've probably guessed by now, I wasn't born into sikhism. In fact, I didn't know much about it until relatively recently (last 5 years). So, due to this, and an apalling poor ability to google things (seriously, I try - I'm just not very good at it!), I have aq few more questions for the assembled learned of sikhism:

1) I am starting to grow my hair out, now, and I haven't shaved in a few weeks, but hair simply doesn't grow on my cheeks or jaw. It looks like I shave my beard into a goatee, but I don't, it's just naturally that way. Am I likely to encounter any prejudice against the shorter hair and patchy beard from Sikhs?

2) Does a sikh turban have a prescribed form? meaning, I should tie it like so, as opposed to so? Would any turban style benefit me? As I related before, I work in a clinical setting, so I was trying to find a turban style that was conforming to my head, so that I could simply wear a sterile cap over it.

3) I quit smoking very recently, and it's driving me up the wall.:eek: Just thought that I would share, LOL. 15 years of smoking, and it's necessary to quit - I detest the way it makes my clothes, and hair smell, I don't like coughing all the time, etc.

4) I have tattoos from before I discovered Sikhism, will these be a cause of anguish in the future? should I just wear long sleeves when I go out?

5) I am curious about the Kachera: are these supposed to remain hidden from everyone? are there any required materials/form?
Okay, thanks in advance.

Sebastyen

Last edited:

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, Ji! Welcome! Regarding your points-

1) Some men just do not grow lush beards. Do not worry; God and Guru made your beard pattern what it is, and that is that. Just keep things neat and clean, and you will be fine. Many men use a nice conditioner on their beard, especially when it is first growing out. If any other Sikhs give you grief about it, just gently remind them that not all beards are made alike.

2) If you go to Sikhnet.com you will find a whole section on turban tying. Experiment- have fun! There are many styles, and you will find one you like best.

3) Yucca will help get the craving out of your system. Go to health food stores and you can find it in capsule form. Take two or three capsules with each meal. See how it goes for you, and it is one of the few things that you can pick up as you need it and put it down when you don't need it. An amazing herb, indeed! It is also one of the few things that will scrape the canola oil out of your system. Canola oil has been implicated in a host of ills, and it hinders ex-smokers in quitting the habit. It is being put into even salad dressings and all olive oil now has canola in it- found that out from a head chef at a major university. They go to conferences and find out these things the rest of us would have no idea about. Also, cut way down on dairy products, though yoghurt should be OK. Dairy makes the body produce excess mucous, and that sticky stuff has a tendency to keep the bad chemical stuff from smoking in your system, further contributing to the cravings.

4) It is up to you. I have some, too. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. When a young Indian Sikh man came up to me and made some nasty comments about my tats, I said this," Number one, Ji, If you cannot see God in all you cannot see God at all, and Number 2, I highly doubt you would have the money needed to get these removed! and Number 3, additionally, if God and Guru accept me as I am anyway, why can't you, brother?" He walked away, chagrined, and his father congratulated me in having an inspired reply to such a challenge. No doubt racism was a factor in the young man's remarks.

5) Kachera: usually made of cotton, but most any natural material will probably do, though would not recommend wool! Scratchy! They go from waist to just above the knee, and are rather tight around the leg there just above the knee. The Gurus knew what they were about, alright! As it turns out, the thigh bone is the main regulator of the production of calcium in the body, and you want to not only retain proper modesty, but also to maintain a pocket of air around the thigh bone and generative organs. In very hot weather, this facilitates comfort, and in cold weather, the pocket of air helps keep the temperature optimal for calcium production in that bone. You can also go on the yahoo and google search engines, and type in "kakkars", "kirpans", "karas","kachera", "kanga", "kesh". These are the 5 Kakkars, and chances are good you may find a site that offers to custom make kachera for you. The measurements they would need are around your natural waist, around the hips, around the widest part of the thigh, around just above the knee, the length from the waistband to just above the knee; on each side, and the inseam length on the inside of the thigh. Also, make sure you measure each leg separately. There could be a difference of as much of an inch from one leg to the other, and if you play sports where you use one hand/leg more than the other, that will influence the measurements. As for the hidden aspect, these are like boxers or whatever; not for public viewing. Interestingly enough, you can also search the google and yahoo search engines for "sarees", "salwar kameez" (womens items), and these companies sometimes also make very good items for men. Search for "Kurtas" (usually mens clothings, though some women wear them, too -they would be akin to shirts in America.) and that should lead you to at least one company that will make something for you!
Hope this helps!
Wahe Guru!
Kulwant Kaur

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Just had another thought Ji- email Hardeep Singh Khalsa at Hardeepsinghk@yahoo.com
and tell him Kulwant sent you. He can get all things for you directly from India, posted to your mailing address straightaway. He will need the aforementioned measurements, and also, for your Kara to fit properly, take a string, and measure it around the widest part of hour hand and knuckles when you bunch your fingers together as tight as you can get them, putting your fingertips together in a point (they won't all touch) and your thumbtip on your ring finger, midway between where the finger joins the hand and the next joint, the one behind where a ring would sit on your finger. The string will go around touching the tops of the knuckles where they join the hand, and the knuckle of the thumb where it joins the hand. You don't want the Kara to slip off, and you may need an oil or hair conditioner to get it on. Specify your overall size, and let him know if you want a heavyweight or lightweight Kara. For a man your size, a heavyweight would probably do the best. The weight is a good reminder to do only good things with your hands! Hope all this helps!
Wahe Guru-
Kulwant

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: