• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Keeping Sikhism Alive

satwant

SPNer
Oct 18, 2006
singapore
I would like to start a topic about keeping our culture, our religion, our ideals alive. I note that our youngsters nowadays do not like to keep their hair and wear a turban and the girls do not like keeping long hair. Why is this so and what can be done about it?

I realised that if we were to take the "stick" approach and preach to them that what they have done is wrong and they should/must conform to the teachings of the gurus, it just goes out of the window. they rebel and will say that keeping long hair and wearing a turban is not fashionable, not cool.

Hard selling is no longer the order of the day. I know there will be bickering about the words "hard selling" but I am only using an analogy here about how to dissemniate an information to someone and getting a point across.

Let's start with the gurudwaras. The Gianis will start their kirtan and then hopefully, from what I see, make a bit of money. I have also noticed that as soon as the sangat stop giving money to the Gianis, the kirtan will stop. In Malaysia, someone took the money that was given to the giani and put it in the golak. The gianis immediately stopped the kirtan.

What do we learn from the kirtan. It seems nothing. The language spoken is so deep, that 95% do not understand. The youngsters and even the elderly get bored, they go down to the langgar hall, eat, gossip and go back. the ladies do not even want to wear the chunni in the langgar hall. Disillusioned as ever.

The point of this thread is how can we all with our patience spread the love of the gurus to our fellow brothers and sisters. Making accusations that they should make an effort and know about the religion and getting angry with them will get us no where.

I want to learn from methods others have employed and succeeded. Hopefully, this will be the start of a new beginning.

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

Sangat, sangat, sangat
This is the key to " keeping sikhi alive"
Surround yourself, and your children with Gursikhs that are willing to teach about Sikhi.
I just came back from a camp in Waterloo this weekend targetted to the youth of that area. This was a great way to teach the kids about sikhi, give them the opportunity to met children going through the same things that they are, and giving them tools to keep this faith in Sikhi strong. I feel that it is the parents job to educate their young children about sikhi, and then as the child grows older it is their job to learn more with Guru Sahibs grace.

Sangat can and does have such a huge affect on you. If we grow up and only ascciate ourselves with sangat, that is not allowing you to emerse within the amrit of bani.. then how are we to fall in love with our Guru, how

The Raagi thing that satwant ji mentioned is just pathetic. We should do kirtan because we want to, because the shabad that we are singing touches us. Not to make money, or to become famous. Thats soo superficial, and it really hurts to think that people can sing tuks form Gurbani like "
k
oorr sueinaa koorr rupaa koorr painuunehaar" and then all they think of is money, and looking fashionable and junk.
Anywho, so ya Sangat.
Keeping sangat that will influence you to become closer to your Guru. People who teach you about our history.
This one Singh that i meat said to me " if you read all the sakhiaan about our Guru's and our Shaheeds, you will never be able to turn your back on your Guru"
and i think that this is completly true, learn about the history.
for younger children, read them one sakhi a night and let them develop that love within their hearts. Everything will come after that
Bhul Chuk Maaf Karni
TPK
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM