• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Keeping My Bodily Kesh (Hair) And Getting Used To The Gazes

For Sikh females: Do you keep all your body hair

• Yes, always have

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Yes, but haven't always

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • No, but I used to

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Thanks, that's a little more clearer.
I don't quite get the last post, although I presume it is in reference to Navdeep ji's deleted post.
Navdeep ji, you do know what repeated and frequent deleting of posts actually tells us about your charachter in general ?

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Thanks, that's a little more clearer.
I don't quite get the last post, although I presume it is in reference to Navdeep ji's deleted post.
Navdeep ji, you do know what repeated and frequent deleting of posts actually tells us about your charachter in general ?

Lucky Ji,

Please DO Tell, What Does it Say about My Character??? & How Can you Judge Sitting across a Computer? Please Refrain from Getting Personal, thanks.

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Oh oh oh! (Waves hand in the air) I have a question! Tell me (please), do Sikh men let their hair down when they go to bed?

I Have NO IDEA, Im a Celibate Woman, & My Dad's Bald, So I DONT KNOW!! Lol. & the Reason I deleted that Question was b/c I thought it wasn't wholly Relevant (Not out of Fear). But it seems to Have hit a Nerve, so I'll Re-iterate, for the Hell of It & b/c Im Legitimately Curious: Are Celibate Folk, required to SHAVE DOWN There? WHat is the PURPOSE? CLEANILINESS Or Smthing Else?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Well, surprisingly even someone's style of writing says a lot about them.
I used to read a lot on graphology back in the day of writing letters and receiving love letters well before the eruption of text and cell phones.

Sometimes we may say thing's without thinking thoroughly or in the heat of the moment. Then at times we wish that we hadn't done or shouldn't have. Words said can't be erased, but luckily computer text can.-
-We all do it at different times, I try very hard not to do it and to think hard before such action. The only difficulties that still arise are misunderstandings and wrong intepretations of your message.

I'm no expert, but a simple learner that knows a little more than yesterday but not enough for tomorrow.

Ruqa

SPNer
Jun 23, 2012
Queensland, Australia.
I Have NO IDEA, Im a Celibate Woman, & My Dad's Bald, So I DONT KNOW!! Lol. & the Reason I deleted that Question was b/c I thought it wasn't wholly Relevant (Not out of Fear). But it seems to Have hit a Nerve, so I'll Re-iterate, for the Hell of It & b/c Im Legitimately Curious: Are Celibate Folk, required to SHAVE DOWN There? WHat is the PURPOSE? CLEANILINESS Or Smthing Else?

Lol ok maybe someone else can inform up both... And as for your question- it's for celibate and not celibate people. Once the hairs start to grow in those places the maintenance starts. I believe it is hygine. I'll try and get a better more detailed explanation for you.

Ruqa

SPNer
Jun 23, 2012
Queensland, Australia.
The only way you could know for sure is to marry a Singh, so I guess you'll never know.

icecreamkaur

Ah ha ha hmm... What a thought... Can I point out, if you had paid attention to some of my previous posts you would've realized that I have issues with the word 'no' and with the sentence 'you can't do that'... Authority issues you know what I mean. Now let me get to the point. If you tell me i'll never know because I can't marry a singh I might have to prove you wrong. Tell you what... I think the dastaar's 'red hot!' hehehe :sippingcoffee: so now what...

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Ah ha ha hmm... What a thought... Can I point out, if you had paid attention to some of my previous posts you would've realized that I have issues with the word 'no' and with the sentence 'you can't do that'... Authority issues you know what I mean. Now let me get to the point. If you tell me i'll never know because I can't marry a singh I might have to prove you wrong. Tell you what... I think the dastaar's 'red hot!' hehehe :sippingcoffee: so now what...

Yeah, I have authority issues, too. Always have and i'm 60. No one has ever been able to successfully push me around, though many have tried.

My dear, the only thing I would say you cannot do is...father a child.

Good luck on finding your Singh! Your next challenge will be handling him.

Ruqa

SPNer
Jun 23, 2012
Queensland, Australia.
Yeah, I have authority issues, too. Always have and i'm 60. No one has ever been able to successfully push me around, though many have tried.

My dear, the only thing I would say you cannot do is...father a child.

Good luck on finding your Singh! Your next challenge will be handling him.

Good luck?!! Are you trying reverse psychology on me?! Was that sarcastic or are you seriously like go find a singh and go get him?! Lol if the roles were reversed and this was a islamic forum and it was a muslima saying to a kaur good luck take one of our men everyone would be like 'WHAT!' because we have a shortage of guys and we're a little territorial... just a little... Ha ha oh and don't worry I think a singh would have more trouble handling me than me him! Now back to my question! There is a solution! I wouldn't have to get married to find out if a singh would just tell me if he does or doesn't take his hair out when he goes to sleep. Listen tell me is that crossing some line asking that, is that to personal in your religion. If it is just put me in my place.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Good luck?!! Are you trying reverse psychology on me?! Was that sarcastic or are you seriously like go find a singh and go get him?! Lol if the roles were reversed and this was a islamic forum and it was a muslima saying to a kaur good luck take one of our men everyone would be like 'WHAT!' because we have a shortage of guys and we're a little territorial... just a little... Ha ha oh and don't worry I think a singh would have more trouble handling me than me him! Now back to my question! There is a solution! I wouldn't have to get married to find out if a singh would just tell me if he does or doesn't take his hair out when he goes to sleep. Listen tell me is that crossing some line asking that, is that to personal in your religion. If it is just put me in my place.

I'm half sarcastic and half serious. I have known 3 Muslim woman/Sikh man marriages. All were/are reasonably happy marriages. In all cases, the children chose to be Sikh. Would you be willing to risk that, even if you could find yourself a Singh to marry? :confusedkudi:
I will answer your question with another question. It's not a matter of it being personal (although it may be), it's something completely different. What makes you think that every Keshdhari Sikh man does the same thing? Or that the same man does the same thing every night? whistlingkudi

Ruqa

SPNer
Jun 23, 2012
Queensland, Australia.
I'm half sarcastic and half serious. I have known 3 Muslim woman/Sikh man marriages. All were/are reasonably happy marriages. In all cases, the children chose to be Sikh. Would you be willing to risk that, even if you could find yourself a Singh to marry? :confusedkudi:
I will answer your question with another question. It's not a matter of it being personal (although it may be), it's something completely different. What makes you think that every Keshdhari Sikh man does the same thing? Or that the same man does the same thing every night? whistlingkudi

Oh now where onto the hard stuff! What's your occupation in real life? A shrink?! Answering questions with questions... I see whats going on here! you're trying to drive me nuts! Can I just point out that I was fair and answered everyone elses questions and no-one will answer mine. Well if they do things differently should I start a poll lol?? Ahh if I was to marry a singh I would expect that the children would be brought up Sikh. I was brought up to believe that the woman follows the man and the children are attributed to the fathers religion. The question is would I go ahead and marry a Sikh or marry out of my religion. You're saying that in the muslim Sikh marriages that you know of that the woman was allowed to keep practicing her religion yeah? Problem is generally if a muslim woman was to marry out of islam then she wouldn't be considered a muslim anymore because as I said before the woman follows the man and if I was to marry a Sikh then I would be considered a Sikh by my community and shunned or the opposite bombarded with people trying to get me to take my shahadah again 'bring me back to islam', put pressure on my marriage or possibly try to convert my husband. Honestly I think i'd have to look at it case by case. Ask myself is this person someone who i'd be willing to give up basically everything for? You know what I mean?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Oh now where onto the hard stuff! What's your occupation in real life? A shrink?! Answering questions with questions... I see whats going on here! you're trying to drive me nuts! Can I just point out that I was fair and answered everyone elses questions and no-one will answer mine. Well if they do things differently should I start a poll lol?? Ahh if I was to marry a singh I would expect that the children would be brought up Sikh. I was brought up to believe that the woman follows the man and the children are attributed to the fathers religion. The question is would I go ahead and marry a Sikh or marry out of my religion. You're saying that in the muslim Sikh marriages that you know of that the woman was allowed to keep practicing her religion yeah? Problem is generally if a muslim woman was to marry out of islam then she wouldn't be considered a muslim anymore because as I said before the woman follows the man and if I was to marry a Sikh then I would be considered a Sikh by my community and shunned or the opposite bombarded with people trying to get me to take my shahadah again 'bring me back to islam', put pressure on my marriage or possibly try to convert my husband. Honestly I think i'd have to look at it case by case. Ask myself is this person someone who i'd be willing to give up basically everything for? You know what I mean?

A shrink? Me? I'm a retired mathematician, a budding artist and a professional survivor.

OK, the answer to your question is some do, some don't and some sometimes do and sometimes don't. There is this one thing...sleeping with very long hair flowing can be very uncomfortable and make for a mess in the morning. I know this as a long-haired woman.

I was married to a Christian man for a couple of decades and it was awful, not just religious differences, of course, but they played a role. I was willing to leave him to his beliefs, but since proselytizing is a commandment in his religion, he wouldn't leave me to mine. A mistake I won't make again. My first husband who is also deceased was Sikh and it was much, much better. I doubt I'll remarry, but if I do, you can be sure he'll be a true Sardar ji Singh with hair intact, although possibly bald.

I think a person may give up their religion formally for another; I doubt it's even possible to give up deeply-held beliefs.

Now...it's 0422 here and I have to be up for a doctor's appointment, so we'll have to continue this later.

And, BTW, I drive lots of people nuts, not intentionally, I'm just sort of baffling.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Oh oh oh! (Waves hand in the air) I have a question! Tell me (please), do Sikh men let their hair down when they go to bed?

Most Sikh men I know of keep it in a top knot most of the time, in fact the only time I have seen a Sikh man with flowing hair is either washing or combing.

Nov 23, 2010
Most Sikh men I know of keep it in a top knot most of the time, in fact the only time I have seen a Sikh man with flowing hair is either washing or combing.

It's the only practical thing to do. If you have it down it gets caught in everything!! the wife ,the cat, my own shoulders. I'm to the point of tying my beard when I sleep as well. I have about 14 months without cutting it and I'm wondering when it will stop growing. I've read that on average it's two and a half years. I'm somewhat scared by this as my beard is halfway down my chest already.
On the humorous side, My wife and I were sitting at the counter in a restaurant last december when a couple came in with their boy of about four years old. The little boy looked at me and then whispered to his mother,"Mama Mama It's Santa."

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
ROFL

Nice one Linzer ji! I can think of worse things to be called, most people love Santa. :grinningkudi:

I agree, scalp kesh can get in the way, mine is nearly to my waist and during the day I usually just keep it in a plait. When I travel I sleep with it in a plait but most of the time I sleep with it out - doesn't cause too much drama.

I can't stand to have my kesh out during the day, it drives me insane always floppin' over the eyes and getting tangled up and loosing hairs all over the house etcetc. And it just feels messy, ya know, untidy.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Originally Posted by Ruqa

I guess it's up to the individual and what their hair is like...
mine is straight and easy to manage and not actually that long...many days i'll have it in a pony tail....it's only completely lose when washing or drying.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Thank you for your answers. Another question, can you dye or bleach your hair?

I like your style of approach. You have answered and explained all questions raised to the best of your knowledge without even attempting to inforce or push the very common 'islam way is the correct way'.. etc...etc..- that so many muslims commonly do.

With the sleeping issue, I think you've gathered that it's a personal choice, you can let it down and having it flowing if you wish but most singhs leave it tied up on the head.

This 'to dye the hair' is a very good question and you will hear many different answers. There is no direct or specific answer, but it's not too difficult to work out for a sikh.
Problem with all of us is (meaning muslims and sikhs) that if we like and prefer to do something such as dye hair, belly button piercings, tatoos...etc..whatever...- We all seem to go around looking for reasons to justify the actions. This is why you get mixtures of answers.

With most issues about however you wear and decorate your body, first you have to take into account what it means to be a baptised or initiated sikh. - ONLY then are the general rules applicable in practice. Otherwise a sehajdhari or non initiated sikh can colour the hair, spike it, dreadlock it, have tatoos, get whatever they want pierced, just whatever they feel free to do. This is because they are not baptised and they do not have to strictly adhere to the rehat code, which is a code of sikh ethics and discipline.

Now, you understand this, that when it comes to being a full initiated sikh, we were told by Guru Gobind Singh Ji among many other things that 'we are in the 'image of khalsa'.
This image is what he himself portrayed after he himself got initiated. This pure sikh image is what one should see when they look in the mirror. ie. the uncut neatly hair or khes, the beard for men ..etc.. So this 'image' is what one should focus on and remember. (khalsa mera roop hai khaas)

If the person decides to colour the beard or hair for pure aesthetic reasons, they are then, in effect moving away from this intended image.
So, you will see that cutting, perming, bleaching....are ALL no,no.
Therefore, a simple answer to your question is No.

BUT, I know there are initiated sikhs, especially women that see no wrong in colouring their hair. Most of these do it to cover the ageing GREYS!!!!
In this case the image is about looking young, deviating away from the image that should be about the way the guru expressed it.

There will be some on this site who are going to be fast off the mark to disagree with me- Well, good luck- what I have said is NOT wrong, it simply deviates back to the TRUTH.

Like I said earlier, they will find reasons to justify their actions but the real answer is found just by going back to basics of the khalsa, 5k's,discipline, image......etc...etc..

So, there you have it, an answer with some logical explanation to the best of my knowledge.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
My thoughts and opinions:

Luckysingh ji answered very well. The SRM (Sikh Code of Conduct) explicitly forbids dying of the beard and also all piercings. (You didn't ask, but that might be your next question.) This is supposed to be binding on all Sikhs, but in practice, many Sikhs don't follow it and nobody says anything about it. Many Sikh women have pierced ears and some pierced noses. I cannot recall seeing any Sikh men with piercings, but many have tattoos. I

As LSji said, the Khalsa is another story. We are expected to honour our natural form, believing that our Creator has created us perfectly. Anything that permanently changes the hair is very strongly discouraged. It is called "dishonouring" the hair. This includes straightening, perming, permanent colour and bleaching. I can't imagine a Khalsa using temporary hair dye, but I suppose that would be an individual choice. BTW, some Khalsa women choose to honour their natural form by not using cosmetics. I am one of them. That again is a personal choice.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM