• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

KAURS, The Voice Of Sikh Women Launched

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
KAURS, the voice of Sikh women launched
Chitleen K. Sethi
Tribune News Service

Mohali, November 15
"Each girl born in this world is special — that is the feeling I want to convey through KAURS. Women have a special world of their own that sustains life on this earth and we need to celebrate it." Even as Roma Kaur spoke this before leading figures of the Sikh Community at the Toronto launch of the Sikh women's first international magazine, of which she is the Editor, for those who knew this bespectacled girl from the Panjab University, Chandigarh, knew this was the outcome of a dream long held close to the heart.
A former student of French at Panjab University Chandigarh, Roma came from Jaipur to study in Punjab, a place where she always wanted to settle in. "But when you begin to speak French better than the French themselves it is very difficult for a small city to hold on to you. I was teaching in France for some years and then went to Canada where I worked for Omni Television. A brief internship with the UN helped me learn about women-related initiatives in other countries. That is when the idea took birth," she told The Tribune today over the phone.
The idea grew when Roma came back to India last year. "I realised that there was a definite vacuum as far as good quality reading material for women was concerned. After long discussions with a host of old and new friends in Chandigarh through months, the idea of KAURS took shape. And here I am, a year later, with the fruits of my labour in my hands," she said.
"KAURS" is a bi-monthly and bilingual (English/ Punjabi) magazine which would be published in Chandigarh but sold both in India and abroad. The magazine would be launched in Chandigarh before the end of this month. "KAURS is the manifestation of the voice of the contemporary Sikh women who have chosen to live according to the principles of Sikhism and seek guidance from their glorious history. It also seeks to celebrate a woman's active role in inspiring and guiding her family through her wisdom and patience while continuing to pursue her own career ambitions and professional development," she said.
But why only Sikh women? "Each community, ethnicity, race, faith or culture have something unique about their existence and something different to offer to this world. Sikh religion, as the world's fifth largest religion is no exception, and in fact, stands out to be one of the least known across the globe. With millions of Sikhs living in different countries, they have retained their culture in a very significant manner. But I feel that it is important to interact multi-culturally to know our own culture in the best light. KAURS would make an effort to talk about women in different cultures even as its focus would remain on Sikh women across the world," she said. The magazine is, however, not an all religious affair. "KAURS would be highlighting strong and inspiring women who can be role models for our readers. Apart from that, the magazine will talk about the latest technology; the world of home and office décor; provide tips on pet care and gardening; bring home historical perspectives on women from other cultures. Poetry, literature, the magazine would have it all," claimed Roma, adding that the emphasis would be on the importance of "spirituality highlighting the shades of the devotee in all

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: