• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
image002.jpg

Kaur Power

Sikh Woman: First Turbaned Pilot In America
The Sikh Research Institute (SikhRI) reported today that Arpinder Kaur, 28, of San Antonio, Texas has become the first turbaned pilot hired by a commercial airline in the States. As a Sikhni, she has helped pave the way for both Sikh men and women who wear a dastaar/turban to fulfill their passion for flying. No longer does flying just have to be an extra-curricular activity for these Sikhs, but it can also be an every-day job!

Read the rest of this story at The Langar Hall Blog Archive Sikh Woman: First Turbaned Pilot In America

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dream IT, achieve IT! Rural Sikh girl shows the way

Amritsar, Punjab: “I want to do something significant for my state Punjab after completing my study in UK”. These were the words of Jasvir Kaur, a Sikh Punjabi girl, who left for UK on a scholarship, provided by University of WolverHampton, to pursue her higher studies.

Belonging to a middle-class family, Jasvir is a role model for students who dare to dream big and then work towards it with unflinching devotion.

Hailing from a remote village, Kotli Than Singh, near Jalandhar, she completed her basic studies from a government school in her village. She never wanted to stop right there.

She had a dream, to go to college and pursue a career in IT sector. But she did not know how to achieve it as she was well aware of the fact that her father, with his mediocre earnings, would not be able to afford her studies.

However, the ray of hope came in form of Prof Harbans Singh Bolina, who spotted her outside the office of principal of Lyallpur Khalsa College, Jalandhar.

The philanthropist not only sponsored her three-year education but was also offered his valuable guidance to the girl. And indeed Jasvir did not disappoint him.

She is one of the two students from Punjab who have been selected by the delegates of University of Wolver Hampton, who were here to meet the Chief Minister, who had urged them to provide scholarships to bright students who hail from a weak economic background.

Jasvir has been picked up for MSc (Computer Science) course and will get a scholarship of Rs 8lakh. Before leaving for UK from Amritsar, she gave all credit of her success to Prof Bolina.

Source of article at this link Sikh girl shows the way | Global Sikh News

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Dream IT, achieve IT! Rural Sikh girl shows the way

Amritsar, Punjab: “I want to do something significant for my state Punjab after completing my study in UK”. These were the words of Jasvir Kaur, a Sikh Punjabi girl, who left for UK on a scholarship, provided by University of WolverHampton, to pursue her higher studies.

Belonging to a middle-class family, Jasvir is a role model for students who dare to dream big and then work towards it with unflinching devotion.

Hailing from a remote village, Kotli Than Singh, near Jalandhar, she completed her basic studies from a government school in her village. She never wanted to stop right there.

She had a dream, to go to college and pursue a career in IT sector. But she did not know how to achieve it as she was well aware of the fact that her father, with his mediocre earnings, would not be able to afford her studies.

However, the ray of hope came in form of Prof Harbans Singh Bolina, who spotted her outside the office of principal of Lyallpur Khalsa College, Jalandhar.

The philanthropist not only sponsored her three-year education but was also offered his valuable guidance to the girl. And indeed Jasvir did not disappoint him.

She is one of the two students from Punjab who have been selected by the delegates of University of Wolver Hampton, who were here to meet the Chief Minister, who had urged them to provide scholarships to bright students who hail from a weak economic background.

Jasvir has been picked up for MSc (Computer Science) course and will get a scholarship of Rs 8lakh. Before leaving for UK from Amritsar, she gave all credit of her success to Prof Bolina.

Source of article at this link Sikh girl shows the way | Global Sikh News

Amazing stories, determined to rise considers nothing impossible. I applaud their determination and all efforts put in to achieve targeted goal:happy:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Nina Kaur wins Care Innovator Award at Care Unique in UK

Source Nina Kaur wins Care Innovator Award at Care Unique in UK

Nina kaur an Amritdhari gursikh has made Khalsa Panth Proud after she has won Care Innovator Award at her prestigious organisation Care Unique. This is one another proud moment after Arpinder Kaur (another Keski wearing & an Amritdhari) become the very first turbaned pilot in USA.

Nina Kaur’s judges said:”We are extremely impressed with the simplicity of Nina`s idea to provide a focused home care service to ethnic minority groups.” She was presented this award by Harry Gration, presenter of BBC Look North, and Gordon Smith from Smith Smalley Architects.

This is very inspiring that if an Amritdhari and keski wearing too women can maintain there rehat in Western country then what is the problem with keeping rehat by Sikhs in India. It is a request to all of you to maintain your rehat and wear 5ks (by becoming amritdhari sikhs of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji).

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Fighting Female Foeticide
Dr. Meeta Singh

Source WSN-Special Report-Fighting Female Foeticide

72 year old Sardarni Kuldeep Kaur has been working tirelessly within the community to stop sex selective abortions in Rajasthan. Her work is a source of inspiration to all young women. As a section of Punjab is celebrating the birth of the girl child this Lohri, World Sikh News presents here an interview with her by Dr. Meeta Singh, who heads International Foundation of Electoral Systems’s Dignity of the Girl Child programme in Rajasthan, with the hope that many more Kuldeep Kaurs will emerge to undo the harm done by the scourge of killing the girl child.

Meeta Singh: When did you first hear about the issue of female foeticide?

Kuldeep Kaur:
Though I have been aware that sex selection and female foeticide do happen all around us, it was only at the Rajasthan University Women’s Association (RUWA) Workshop on 26 October 2005 that I really woke up to the issue. The film “Kukh Vich Katal” [Murder in the Womb] shown at the workshop left an indelible impact on my mind. The other speakers also highlighted the problem in a manner that I was quite shaken.

MS: Why did this issue resonate with you personally? Why did you feel a need to get involved?
KK:
That day the issue took me back in time to my own childhood. I was a little girl; we lived in Ferozepur, a small town in Punjab. My little sister was just born and a neighbor dropped in and asked my father whether he would keep the girl or get rid of her. My father was livid and asked the neighbor to leave and never mention something like this ever again. He pampered us so much. I remember that incident to this day. Somehow the workshop was the beginning of a calling. A voice told me that I must do something. We can’t simply allow our unborn daughters to die like this.

Sardarni%20Kuldeep%20Kaur.jpg

MS: Why is female foeticide so prevalent in the Sikh community?

KK:
I think Female Foeticide is a problem with the Sikh community because of land holdings in the Punjab. The smaller farmers do not want daughters because it means selling off land to pay dowry; the bigger farmers do not want daughters because they would rather have sons who will till the land than daughters who will have to be married off. Also there is the question of honor, bowing down before the groom’s family is hurtful to the ego. Then the security of the girls is another problem.

MS: Tell me about the activities you are organizing in support of the campaign against female foeticide.
KK:
I started this campaign with the women of the Sikh community in Jaipur. I formed ladies’ groups and called them Samooh Stree Satsang [women’s group of worshippers] with women who come regularly to the gurudwara [Sikh place of worship].

MS: Where do these activities take place? What is the scope of your activities so far?
KK:
We have 20 gurudwaras in Jaipur so we formed 20 groups in areas where the gurudwaras are located. Every month, we have a meeting in one of the gurudwaras by rotation. We sing hymns and religious songs, and we pray but between the hymns we also discuss the problem of female foeticide. I tell the women to discuss the issue in their own homes and neighborhoods and get as many people as possible to sign oath papers saying they will never indulge in female foeticide themselves, and they will never allow it to happen. So far we have interacted with 1,780 people, of which 479 are men. We also invite speakers from outside to explain the issue. We are trying to involve the men with the issue. We are working at the district level and the state level but we do need to reach out to the villages as well. We will need much more time for that.

My greatest challenge is to try and change mindsets. To keep working until female foeticide comes to an end.The value and dignity of the girl child needs to be established. Dowry must stop, through laws, public opinion, whatever. Girls must get equal opportunities.

MS: Can you give me a specific example of how your work has been received by a particular person, maybe another woman, community leader or members of a particular community?
KK:
Many important people who come to the gurudwara give me a lot of respect for my work. One person who I would like to especially mention is Sardar Jasbir Singh, who is the Chairperson of the Minorities Commission in Rajasthan. He is interested in sensitizing other minority communities on this issue as well. In Sri Ganganagar, Timma and Harpreet, who are the youth leaders there, have also been very enthusiastic in taking up the issue with the Sikh community.

MS: What is the hardest part about your work?
KK:
The hardest part…well, mobility is a problem, and I am not getting any younger. Of course, changing mindsets is never easy.

MS: Have you received criticism/threats for working on this issue?
KK:
No, fortunately my community respects me a lot and is quite appreciative of my work.

MS: Tell me about something that happened that inspired you to keep working on this issue.
KK:
I was invited to attend a national consultation on female foeticide in Pune. It had been organized by the Centre for Youth Development and Action and the United Nations Population Fund. It was a national-level platform, but people there listened to me carefully when I shared my experiences with them. They asked me for my suggestions and gave me respect. That recognition spurred me on to work harder. I was happy that so much confidence had been reposed in me. I told them that Guru Nanak had advocated social ostracism for people who kill their daughters.

My advice to younger women is that they must understand that women can change the world. They need to discover their strength and power from within themselves and work together to break silences.

MS: What can people, both internationals and Indians, do to help you?
KK: People at the international level as well as Indians can do so much. Discuss the issue, hold conferences and discussions—big and small. Don’t be afraid to talk about it, condemn female foeticide when it happens, and try and stop it whenever you can. Also, they can help with vocational training for girls so that they can be economically independent.

MS: How did the idea of tying female foeticide to a wedding in Sri Ganganagar come about?
KK:
I had gone to Sri Ganganagar to initiate the Samooh Stree Satsang there and to address a camp of adolescent girls and sensitize them to the issue of female foeticide. I also held meetings with the leaders of the Sikh Sangat [community]. There, I learnt that a community wedding was in the offing. I suggested that they could dedicate the event to the cause of saving the girl child. My suggestion received a good response. I also met with Timma and Harpreet, who I found very enthusiastic. They were the main organizers and they took it forward from there. I felt that if the couples would start their lives with a mindset that condemns female foeticide, it would be helpful.

Save%20Girl%20Child%20Poster.jpg

MS: Did you attend the wedding? What do you remember most?

KK:
Yes I did attend the wedding. What I remember most is the collective oath that was administered by the priests who performed the weddings to the newlywed couples and nearly a thousand people present. This, I think, is significant because people listen to the priests and holy men, and the commitment becomes public so they become accountable in many ways. When you commit in front of so many people, you can’t go and commit sex selection and female foeticide so easily. What I also remember is the way a woman of the Sikh community was honored. This woman had decided to go against her husband and, at the cost of being abandoned by him, did not agree to abort her baby girl, her third daughter. This is a strong example of courage. And I am happy that the Sikh community decided to honor her.

MS: Are there other weddings like this planned?
KK:
Yes, we are planning a similar community wedding in Jaipur. The date has not been decided yet. But we have spoken with the Gianiji [Sikh priest] regarding administering the oath against female foeticide, and he has agreed.

MS: Have there been opportunities to work with people from other communities affected by female foeticide?
KK:
Yes we have worked with other communities, especially the Jains. The inter-community cell in RUWA also brings together leaders from various communities once every few months. We share our experiences, our problems and try and find solutions. We also draw inspiration from one another. We all need to work together if we have to stop female foeticide in this country and give dignity to our daughters. RUWA is carrying forward what they started almost two years ago.

Child6.jpg

MS: What do people need to remember most about this issue and your work in the Sikh community?

KK:
What people need to remember about me and my work is that they must STOP sex selection and female foeticide. They need to remember that girls are to be valued, loved and cared for and not killed in the womb.

MS: What is the state of women’s leadership in the NGO community and broader Indian community?
KK:
Women’s leadership is emerging. Girls are very capable and do so well when they get opportunities. But more women need to come forward. They need to provide support to each other.

MS: What challenges do you face as a grassroots activist?
KK: My greatest challenge is to try and change mindsets. To keep working until female foeticide comes to an end.

MS: How can we have breakthroughs in the area of female foeticide?
KK: The value and dignity of the girl child needs to be established. Dowry must stop, through laws, public opinion, whatever. Girls must get equal opportunities. It is sad when girls are thrown out of their marital homes for not bringing dowry and subjected to violence. I feel pained [when I hear about that].

MS: What advice would you offer to younger women?
KK:
My advice to younger women is that they must understand that women can change the world. They need to discover their strength and power from within themselves and work together to break silences. Even our scriptures say that ‘Why should we talk ill of her, she who gives birth to kings?’”

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Mai ji

First of all, it is so good to hear your voice once again! My interpretation of this remark -- the problem is rampant throughout India even though selective abortion is illegal. Independently of news articles I have read here on the forum, there has been consistent news coverage of the problem of female foetecide for several years running in other news venues. Economic priorities and movement away from traditional social structures seem to trump the traditional ethical values of most cultures. And the problem is not limited to India. There have been surveys here in the US that illustrate that, given the opportunity, a majority of couples expecting their first child would elect to abort a female. This cuts across most ethnic and cultural groups.

It would be an interesting experiment to try to send an email to Sardami Kaur to see how she describes this puzzle.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Punjab eves overcome Chandigarh to win hockey title
Jalandhar, October 22
Punjab women scripted a 7-5 victory over Chandigarh to clinch the hockey title in the 29th National Women’s Sports Festival as curtains came down on the four-day long sporting extravaganza at the Olympian Surjit Singh hockey stadium here today evening. The winning Punjab handball team with Director (Sports) Kartar Singh on Wednesday.
— Photo by S.S. Chopra

spr7.jpg

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

This doesn't make sense. Do the Jains - who won't swat a mosquito - have this evil in their community, as well?

Mai ji, after thinking once more about your question -- yes, it does not make sense -- I did some Internet research and found this statistic on a Government of India web site.

6.Percentage of spontaneous abortion was higher Muslim (8.6%) in comparison to Hindus (5.5) and Jains (6.3). The percentage of induced abortions was higher in Jains (9.4%) than that of Muslims (2.2%) and Hindus (2.4%).

So it happens. Why it happens, I don't know. The source of the data is: PRC

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Punjab eves overcome Chandigarh to win hockey title
Jalandhar, October 22
Punjab women scripted a 7-5 victory over Chandigarh to clinch the hockey title in the 29th National Women’s Sports Festival as curtains came down on the four-day long sporting extravaganza at the Olympian Surjit Singh hockey stadium here today evening. The winning Punjab handball team with Director (Sports) Kartar Singh on Wednesday.
— Photo by S.S. Chopra

spr7.jpg

Nam Jap ji

Thanks for getting us back into Chari Kala. Are these young women not enchanting and fresh. How happy they are. And look at the proud faces of the older women. So determined! I think the men in the pic are looking very content with the results, too!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
A Second Victory for Sikh Doctors

News Source: www.sikhcoalition.org

Kiranpreet%20Kaur-article.jpg
January 30, 2009

(Philadelphia, PA) - The National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) has agreed not to ask Sikh examinees to remove their turbans for security screenings at test centers. The Sikh Coalition applauds the NBME for understanding and responding to the concerns of the Sikh American community.

Medical Student Speaks Out
The Coalition first heard about this incident last year, when Kiranpreet Kaur Khurana, a medical student, told us her story.
In August 2007, Kiranpreet arrived at a testing center in New Jersey for her medical board exam - the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). Having signed in, the administrator told Kiranpreet that her turban "had to" be searched. Flustered and surprised by the demand, Kiranpreet followed the administrator into the ladies' restroom, where the administrator asked her to remove her turban and "shake it." When she returned to the testing area after this embarrassing experience, Kiranpreet noticed that no other examinee's clothing or pockets were being checked for any manner of contraband. Kiranpreet was the only examinee who was searched.

Coalition Takes Action
The Sikh Coalition reached out to the NBME, the organization that administers the exam, in early 2008. We were told that the USMLE considers turbans "an unauthorized personal item" in the exam room and turbans could therefore only be worn into the exam room if they were first searched. The NBME initially refused to change this policy.

Since then, the Coalition worked to convince the NBME to adopt an objectively neutral search policy. Our goal was to ensure that Sikhs are not singled out for searches when others who could be carrying small contraband in their clothing are not searched.

After nearly one year of advocacy on this matter, the NBME this month agreed to change its policy. Dr. Gerard Dillon, Vice President of the USMLE, wrote to the Sikh Coalition to say "Our procedure will allow the wearing of head coverings for religious reasons, as declared by the candidate. Test administration staff will be asked to visually inspect the head covering but the examinee will not be asked to remove it."

The policy change is expected to go into effect by early February 2009.
"What a great feeling that people are finally starting to understand the importance of the turban for us and how it's a part of us and our daily lives," said Kiranpreet on the day the policy change was announced. "Credit goes to Sikh Coalition for fighting persistently and bringing a much-needed change in the NBME policy."

In 2008, the Sikh Coalition worked with the North American Sikh Medical Dental Association (NASMDA) to change a similar policy for MCAT examinees.
The Sikh Coalition urges all Sikhs to practice their faith fearlessly.

If someone tells you to remove your articles of faith,
please report the incident.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
A small step for humanity but a giant step for the Sikh woman/mankind.

Nischei kar aapni jeet karoon. In other words, where there is the Gurmat will, there are always the Gurmat machetes to carve the pathways.

Isn't this the true essence of being a Sant Sipahi- The Peace Warrior?

Tejwant Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
In Thailand, it is the Kaurs who boss around, and the Singhs are their "Yes Men".
Bring some of the Thai Kaurs and the world will never be the same again, ever.

Yes i have a friend in Titiwangsa whose wife has THAI "connections"...and he is really terrified of her...in Gurdwara he is SHER..at home he is a Mouse. Once we went to the Bank to bank in the weekly Goluck collection... we had already counted the collection about ten times....and so were very sure how much it was...at the bank the counter clerk accidentally placed one bag of coins at his feet and forgot to count it in..thus the total came up short....this SHER jumped over the counter and confronted the clerk....who could hardly breath !!! he was in SHOCK !! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES>>HOW MANY OF US>>COUNTED THE COINS ?? He roared..SHORT ?? what SHORT ?? sorry sir sorry sir he murmured....
Later when we went to his house for some cool drinks....he so softly requested his daughter to ask mummy to bring drinks...FORGET IT..came a ROAR from inside...they are YOUR friends...YOU can make them drinks !! DONT DARE to waken me up again...the SHER in the Bank was a CHOOHA in the house...WAHEGURU !!! THAI CONNECTION ??:thumbup:

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Professional paths were pursued by individuals with natural aptitude in those professions or skills. This women versus men feud, as a battle akin to blacks versus whites, easterners versus westerners is actually repugnant to well balanced family individuals. Punjab and the eastern nations raise strong wholesome ladies able not only to uphold their family honour, take care of their men, assist in running the family business whilst raising a veritable army of children, and bridging good strong bonds of kinship with both in laws and extended family alike. Gaining a doctorate degree or learning to fly a plane if a hobby these ladies is so opportuned can accomplish in between the aforementioned tasks, and all with a happy glowing and radiant smile upon their faces. More beautiful at sixt and eight than most disgruntled girls in thei rteend and twenties.{There is a flying club in the locality where I embarked upon flying lessons, the instrictor considered me a natural.}

Female infanticide is another issue the bleeding hearts take up. Although destroying a potential life is mildly barbaric forcing women to have child following child with an intent to producing a male child is equally wrong. Selective abortion for damaged foetuses or unwanted female embryos is fair if the couple do not wish to raised a large family and have a daughter already. With appropriate clauses the offered choice of selective breeding is welcomed as the prohibitive cost of raising children in this stressful and struggling society makes large families expensive and an arduous toil.

Well balanced fair mindedness triumphs over extreme views to counteract extreme political climates generated by incompetence in governance and over indulgence of each demanding protester at the door of politics and media.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Jeetjohal writes: <<<Although destroying a potential life is mildly barbaric forcing women to have child following child with an intent to producing a male child is equally wrong.>>>>>>>>>

Mildly barbaric ?? Imho its more than that..surely ???Forcing birth after birth..to strike the :lottery" of a Male child.....is bad as well as..marrying young and begin having children soon after...destroys the health of the young mother...makes them age faster...weaker...and subsequent children will be even worse off...essentially we destroy our own roots.
Actually the Womans is the woman's worst enemy...its almost always the SASS..the Mother in law who tortures the young bride....as if she wasnt ever in the same position ?? The males go to work..its the sass/nannans/bhabees etc the womenfolk who remain behind that perform mental torture..physical torture..insult..berate..and take the bride to the abortion clinics !!!:mad:

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Gyani Ji, with all due respect I was, married at sixteen and am in perfect health. My mother and sister in laws are formidably strong women and leaders of their village and were as my own mother and sisters. I was born in London but have beeen equally loved all my life by both the ebglish and Indians. Each child should be a wanted child. If parents want ardently a boy or girl, and God has provided the technology to enable them to do so then so be it. It is preferable to terminating which is preferable to raising a child in a loveless or unhappy home to send forth into a wicked and dangerously unruly dysfunctional world. Since when have demanding feminists, battling women, since time began, been satisfied. In this age of Kalyug where tilaq is becoming embarrassingly commonplace in the Punjab, we should address the problems of social fragmentation of the family as the essential foundation stone of civilisation than the personal problems of the failed and contentious malcontents. Women have always been strong, as strong and as competent as the parents and communities who raised them. Concentrating focus prmiarily upon a small but vociferoulsy vocal sector of those unable to forge strong relationships with families and brethren does a disservice to the good, godly and honourable ladies, the true unsung heroines who rare lodge complaint in times of trial, spend much time and effort resolving the problems of others less fortunate and capable. Women who whether on foreign shores and different cultures integrate perfectly and adhere to their own religion, marry as their forefathers had wished, such is true integrity. Feminism is for weak immoral women and should never be allowed to enter Sikh philosophy or doctrine, where women are creators of their own home world, be it Eden or hell. ...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM