• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Kara

HannahBanana

SPNer
Sep 11, 2006
South Florida
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

I have not posted here in a while, but I've been around, reading and thinking.
Anyway, I just got a kara and wondered if you are supposed to wear it all the time. I don't know about metals really, is it safe to wear in the shower without it turning brown or getting rusted?

Thank you!
Hannah

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

MKAUR1981

SPNer
Aug 24, 2006
WJKK WJKF

Hey Hannah

Nice to see you back.

I keep my kara on when showering or having a bath. And whilst washing dishes!!!! As Demitiri said it will not go rusty for a long time.

Jul 10, 2006
I've heard some different opinions here. Well, if I should be practical while wearing it, shouldn't I leave it on when I shower? Cleaning is practical, right?

Every Sikh I know (family, friends and other) do not remove their Kara. If one outgrows their kara (baby kara), they replace it with a larger kara.

The only time I removed my kara was during self defense classes in Uni.

HannahBanana

SPNer
Sep 11, 2006
South Florida
Oh, that's what I thought.

Actually mine is a tiny bit too big and it fell off today (during P.E. class when I took off my jacket), of course I noticed because of the clang it made when it fell, I dusted it off and put it back on. I felt kind of bad, but I'm trying to be more careful.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
Hannah

though its good to be respectful, please do realize that it is symbolic. hence undue reverence to the materilistic "object" is misplaced

I think removing the Kara whenever situation demands ( eg. sports, karate etc) is correct and practical.

if you are not offended, may i ask you a question?

why are you wearing a Kara?

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Hannah

though its good to be respectful, please do realize that it is symbolic. hence undue reverence to the materilistic "object" is misplaced

I think removing the Kara whenever situation demands ( eg. sports, karate etc) is correct and practical.

if you are not offended, may i ask you a question?

why are you wearing a Kara?

Yeah, thats true, we are supposed to think practical when it comes to these items. I take off my dastarr when i go to bed, as well as my kara and kirpan. When i shower, i take them off too.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM