• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Kabir - Guru Connection

Oct 21, 2009
India
Re: Kabir- Guru Connection

Respected Tejwant ji/findingmyway ji/spnadmin ji and other members

I am posting the full shabad in compliance of terms and condition of site and would like to be forgiven if it has offended anyone else and that never was the intention. I am posting the relevant verse as stated by you.

My interpretation is also the same as of the translator and Dr. Sahib singh.

ਪ੍ਰਭਾਤੀ ॥
प्रभाती ॥
Parbẖāṯī.
Prabhaatee:
xxx
XXX

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ

Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.
xxx
(ਹੇ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੇ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ ਵੀਰੋ!) ਵੇਦਾਂ ਜਾਂ ਕੁਰਾਨ ਆਦਿਕ (ਇਕ ਦੂਜੇ ਦੀਆਂ) ਧਰਮ-ਪੁਸਤਕਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਝੂਠੀਆਂ ਨਾਹ ਆਖੋ। ਝੂਠਾ ਤਾਂ ਉਹ ਬੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਧਰਮ-ਪੁਸਤਕਾਂ ਦੀ ਵਿਚਾਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦਾ।

ਜਉ ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਏਕੁ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਕਹਤ ਹਉ ਤਉ ਕਿਉ ਮੁਰਗੀ ਮਾਰੈ ॥੧॥
You say that the One Lord is in all, so why do you kill chickens? ||1||
xxx ॥੧॥
(ਭਲਾ, ਹੇ ਮੁੱਲਾਂ!) ਜੇ ਤੂੰ ਇਹ ਆਖਦਾ ਹੈਂ ਕਿ ਖ਼ੁਦਾ ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਮੌਜੂਦ ਹੈ ਤਾਂ (ਉਸ ਖ਼ੁਦਾ ਅੱਗੇ ਕੁਰਬਾਨੀ ਦੇਣ ਲਈ) ਮੁਰਗ਼ੀ ਕਿਉਂ ਮਾਰਦਾ ਹੈਂ? (ਕੀ ਉਸ ਮੁਰਗ਼ੀ ਵਿਚ ਉਹ ਆਪ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ? ਮੁਰਗ਼ੀ ਵਿਚ ਬੈਠੇ ਖ਼ੁਦਾ ਦੀ ਅੰਸ਼ ਨੂੰ ਮਾਰ ਕੇ ਖ਼ੁਦਾ ਦੇ ਅੱਗੇ ਹੀ ਭੇਟਾ ਕਰਨ ਦਾ ਕੀਹ ਭਾਵ ਹੈ? ॥੧॥

ਮੁਲਾਂ ਕਹਹੁ ਨਿਆਉ ਖੁਦਾਈ ॥
O Mullah, tell me: is this God's Justice?
ਮੁਲਾਂ = ਹੇ ਮੁੱਲਾਂ! ਕਹਹੁ = ਸੁਣਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈਂ। ਨਿਆਉ = ਇਨਸਾਫ਼।
ਹੇ ਮੁੱਲਾਂ! ਤੂੰ (ਹੋਰ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਤਾਂ) ਖ਼ੁਦਾ ਦਾ ਨਿਆਂ ਸੁਣਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈਂ,

ਤੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਕਾ ਭਰਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
The doubts of your mind have not been dispelled. ||1||Pause||
॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ॥
ਪਰ ਤੇਰੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਮਨ ਦਾ ਭੁਲੇਖਾ ਅਜੇ ਦੂਰ ਹੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋਇਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਪਕਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਆਨਿਆ ਦੇਹ ਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਮਾਟੀ ਕਉ ਬਿਸਮਿਲਿ ਕੀਆ ॥
You seize a living creature, and then bring it home and kill its body; you have killed only the clay.
ਆਨਿਆ = ਲਿਆਂਦਾ। ਦੇਹ = ਸਰੀਰ। ਬਿਸਮਿਲ = (ਅ: ਬਿਸਮਿੱਲਾਹ = ਅੱਲਾਹ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਤੇ, ਖ਼ੁਦਾ ਵਾਸਤੇ। ਮੁਰਗੀ ਆਦਿਕ ਕਿਸੇ ਜੀਵ ਦਾ ਮਾਸ ਤਿਆਰ ਕਰਨ ਵੇਲੇ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ ਲਫ਼ਜ਼ 'ਬਿਸਮਿੱਲਾਹ" ਪੜ੍ਹਦਾ ਹੈ, ਭਾਵ ਇਹ ਕਿ ਮੈਂ 'ਅੱਲਾਹ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਤੇ, ਅੱਲਾਹ ਦੀ ਖ਼ਾਤਰ' ਇਸ ਨੂੰ ਜ਼ਬਹ ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ। ਸੋ, 'ਬਿਸਮਿਲ' ਕਰਨ ਦਾ ਅਰਥ ਹੈ 'ਜ਼ਬਹ ਕਰਨਾ')।
ਹੇ ਮੁੱਲਾਂ! (ਮੁਰਗ਼ੀ ਆਦਿਕ) ਜੀਵ ਨੂੰ ਫੜ ਕੇ ਤੂੰ ਲੈ ਆਂਦਾ, ਉਸ ਦਾ ਸਰੀਰ ਤੂੰ ਨਾਸ ਕੀਤਾ, ਉਸ (ਦੇ ਜਿਸਮ) ਦੀ ਮਿੱਟੀ ਨੂੰ ਤੂੰ ਖ਼ੁਦਾ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਤੇ ਕੁਰਬਾਨ ਕੀਤਾ (ਭਾਵ, ਖ਼ੁਦਾ ਦੀ ਨਜ਼ਰ-ਭੇਟ ਕੀਤਾ)।

ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪ ਅਨਾਹਤ ਲਾਗੀ ਕਹੁ ਹਲਾਲੁ ਕਿਆ ਕੀਆ ॥੨॥

The light of the soul passes into another form. So tell me, what have you killed? ||2||
ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪ = ਉਹ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਸਰੂਪ ਜੋਤ ਹੀ ਜੋਤ ਹੈ, ਜੋ ਨਿਰਾ ਨੂਰ ਹੀ ਨੂਰ ਹੈ। ਅਨਾਹਤ = ਅਨਾਹਤ ਦੀ, ਅਵਿਨਾਸੀ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ। ਲਾਗੀ = ਹਰ ਥਾਂ ਲੱਗੀ ਹੋਈ ਹੈ, ਹਰ ਥਾਂ ਮੌਜੂਦ ਹੈ। ਹਲਾਲੁ = ਜਾਇਜ਼, ਭੇਟ ਕਰਨ-ਯੋਗ, ਰੱਬ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਤੇ ਕੁਰਬਾਨੀ ਦੇਣ ਦੇ ਲਾਇਕ ॥੨॥
ਪਰ ਹੇ ਮੁੱਲਾਂ! ਜੋ ਖ਼ੁਦਾ ਨਿਰਾ ਨੂਰ ਹੀ ਨੂਰ ਹੈ, ਤੇ ਜੋ ਅਵਿਨਾਸ਼ੀ ਹੈ ਉਸ ਦੀ ਜੋਤ ਤਾਂ ਹਰ ਥਾਂ ਮੌਜੂਦ ਹੈ, (ਉਸ ਮੁਰਗ਼ੀ ਵਿਚ ਭੀ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਤੂੰ ਖ਼ੁਦਾ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਤੇ ਕੁਰਬਾਨ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈਂ) ਤਾਂ ਫਿਰ, ਦੱਸ, ਤੂੰ ਰੱਬ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਤੇ ਕੁਰਬਾਨੀ ਦੇਣ ਦੇ ਲਾਇਕ ਕਿਹੜੀ ਚੀਜ਼ ਬਣਾਈ? ॥੨॥

ਕਿਆ ਉਜੂ ਪਾਕੁ ਕੀਆ ਮੁਹੁ ਧੋਇਆ ਕਿਆ ਮਸੀਤਿ ਸਿਰੁ ਲਾਇਆ ॥
And what good are your purifications? Why do you bother to wash your face? And why do you bother to bow your head in the mosque?
ਉਜੂ = ਉਜ਼ੂ, ਨਮਾਜ਼ ਪੜ੍ਹਨ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਹੱਥ ਪੈਰ ਮੂੰਹ ਧੋਣ ਦੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਆ। ਪਾਕੁ = ਪਵਿੱਤਰ।
ਹੇ ਮੁੱਲਾਂ! ਪੈਰ ਹੱਥ ਆਦਿਕ ਸਾਫ਼ ਕਰਨ ਦੀ ਰਸਮ ਦਾ ਕੀਹ ਲਾਭ? ਮੂੰਹ ਧੋਣ ਦਾ ਕੀਹ ਗੁਣ? ਮਸਜਦ ਵਿਚ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਸਜਦਾ ਕਰਨ ਦੀ ਕੀਹ ਲੋੜ?

ਜਉ ਦਿਲ ਮਹਿ ਕਪਟੁ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰਹੁ ਕਿਆ ਹਜ ਕਾਬੈ ਜਾਇਆ ॥੩॥
Your heart is full of hypocrisy; what good are your prayers or your pilgrimage to Mecca? ||3||
xxx ॥੩॥
ਜੇ ਤੂੰ ਆਪਣੇ ਦਿਲ ਵਿਚ ਕਪਟ ਰੱਖ ਕੇ ਨਿਮਾਜ਼ ਪੜ੍ਹਦਾ ਹੈਂ, ਤਾਂ ਇਹ ਨਿਮਾਜ਼ ਦਾ ਕੀਹ ਫ਼ਾਇਦਾ? ਤੇ, ਕਾਹਬੇ ਦੇ ਹੱਜ ਦਾ ਕੀਹ ਫ਼ਾਇਦਾ? ॥੩॥

ਤੂੰ ਨਾਪਾਕੁ ਪਾਕੁ ਨਹੀ ਸੂਝਿਆ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਮਰਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥
You are impure; you do not understand the Pure Lord. You do not know His Mystery.
ਨਾਪਾਕੁ = ਪਲੀਤ, ਅਪਵਿੱਤਰ, ਮੈਲਾ, ਮਲੀਨ। ਪਾਕੁ = ਪਵਿੱਤਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ। ਮਰਮੁ = ਭੇਤ।
ਹੇ ਮੁੱਲਾਂ! ਤੂੰ ਅੰਦਰੋਂ ਤਾਂ ਪਲੀਤ ਹੀ ਰਿਹਾ, ਤੈਨੂੰ ਉਸ ਪਵਿੱਤਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਸਮਝ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਈ, ਤੂੰ ਉਸ ਦਾ ਭੇਤ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾਇਆ।

ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਭਿਸਤਿ ਤੇ ਚੂਕਾ ਦੋਜਕ ਸਿਉ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੪॥੪॥
Kahi Kabīr bẖisaṯ ṯe cẖūkā ḏojak si▫o man māni▫ā. ||4||4||
Says Kabeer, you have missed out on paradise; your mind is set on hell. ||4||4||
ਚੂਕਾ = ਖੁੰਝ ਗਿਆ ਹੈਂ। ਸਿਉ = ਨਾਲ ॥੪॥੪॥
ਕਬੀਰ ਆਖਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ (ਇਸ ਭੁਲੇਖੇ ਵਿਚ ਫਸੇ ਰਹਿ ਕੇ) ਤੂੰ ਬਹਿਸ਼ਤ ਤੋਂ ਖੁੰਝ ਗਿਆ ਹੈਂ, ਤੇ ਦੋਜ਼ਕ ਨਾਲ ਤੇਰਾ ਮਨ ਪਤੀਜ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ ॥੪॥੪

My job is to locate the differences between the overall approach of Guru sahib and Kabeer ji to counter the statements that are stated in the opening post and may be referred to.
Kabeer sahib has not validated anything that is revealed in Vedas but has also not rejected that is contained in it.
It is supported by the commentary of Doctor Sahib singh and the translator Sant singh khalsa. I stick to the commentary of Dr. Sahib singh.
Thus it is one of the essential difference between the thinking of Kabeer and Guru sahib. Guru completely rejected the Vedas as per sikh philosophy.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Tejwant Ji has brought up a very VITAL point...

The Vedas and the other holy texts were BEYOND reach of the Common Man..in fact the MAJORITY of the Hindu populace was even under serious TORTURE/DEATH THREAT even if they ACCIDENTALLY attempted to lsiten/read those holy texts !! Molten lead was poured into the EARS of an UNAUTHORISED LISTENER...the Tongue would be CUT OUT of an UNAUTHORISED reader....Who would even dare to say anything....

Those holy texts were the PROPERTY of the RULING PRIESTLY CLASS - even the Kings had no access except VIA the Brahmin.

This is very very important when some people try to "hoodwink" the common readers today by comparing to the access the SGGS has and HAD even in Guru Kaal.

This morning i read an essay by a Hindu theologian who is arguing that the very FACT that Hinduism has 33 krrorr devtas is simply an "INFINITE NUMBER" way to manifest that God is ONE !! Thus the 84 Lakh JOONS is also just a FIGURE OF SPEECH !! So Hindus are finally discovering these "figures of speech" while many misguided SIKHS are falling over backwards trying to "prove" these are SIKH CONCEPTS when SGGS declares OTHERWISE a Zillion times.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Taranjeet Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for posting the whole Shabad. It helps everyone tremendously to understand the Shabad.

You write:

My job is to locate the differences between the overall approach of Guru sahib and Kabeer ji to counter the statements that are stated in the opening post and may be referred to

Pardon my ignorance but I have no idea why you have taken upon yourself to locate the differences when there are none except in your own imagination. You are trying to justify the ends that you have in your mind with the concocted means by the same.

Kabeer sahib has not validated anything that is revealed in Vedas but has also not rejected that is contained in it.

Here lies the problem. It seems you did not understand what Kabeer is talking about. He is showing the peoples of other religions not to claim that one's religious book is better than the other's. It has nothing to do with the content of any religious text but the claim of "My god is better than yours" concept that all religions claimed before the arrival of Guru Nanak. Please read the whole Shabad in context not with your predetermined ends through which you are trying to find the means.

It is supported by the commentary of Doctor Sahib singh and the translator Sant singh khalsa. I stick to the commentary of Dr. Sahib singh.

What is supported by whom? Once again, this Shabad has nothing to do with accepting or rejecting Vedas or any other religious texts. This Shabad is telling people of different religions about their false claims regarding their religious books.The rest is all in your imagination as mentioned before. You are trying to dredge mud rather than looking for gems in a diamond mine.I am glad you stick to Dr. Sahib Singh commentary and no where in his meaning does he claim what you do.

Thus it is one of the essential difference between the thinking of Kabeer and Guru sahib. Guru completely rejected the Vedas as per sikh philosophy.

By your above claim, it seems that you have already concluded that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru contradicts itself which can not be the case and it also shows your reluctance to accepting Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as our only Guru, which is your own choice but please do not find any justification from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji for the choice you are making. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Once again, this Shabad has nothing to do with what you claim.

Thanks and regards.

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
A quick note:

The quoted statement makes it sound as if Kabir ji accepted the Vedas, as preached by sadhus of his day. Members of the Kabir panth might disagree. Today we may discuss whether Kabir accepted the Vedas or whether he interpreted them in a radically evolved way. Whatever the conclusions, it is important to note those same brahmins rejected Kabir.

Now that we can see the shabad, we can see why.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM