• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Just What You Were Looking For?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Mods, Please do not move this thread to Learn Punjabi. We can do that later. Thank you!

I am not sure how long this web app has been around. It is unique. The Punjabi-English Dictionary is actually a web-enabled keyboard and dictionary in combo.

Discovered just today, it works for me when I don't know a word, can read it, but have no idea what the word means.

You can use the keyboard to type a word in Gurmukhi font, press search, and then view below one or more dictionary entries. These dictionary entries give the Punjabi word, the POS or part of speech, and the meaning/s. The bonus is that the dictionary will also reproduce the same word in Shamukhi font, making it useful for users who for one reason or another would benefit from the Shamukhi translation.

The microphone icon offers an audio of how to pronounce the word.

All of these features are very helpful when you need a quick reference guide to a word written in Gurmukhi font and its meaning. At the same time, you don't want to spend time thumbing through a dictionary... which is organized using the Punjabi alphabetical order ... another head-scratching- experience for the native English speaker.

This application was created by The Advanced Center for Technical Development of the Punjabi Language, Literature and Culture at Punjabi University, Patiala, India.

SPN members who have been watching developments for quite a few years continually bemoan the fact that online Punjabi/English translation pages and translation machines are next to impossible to locate. They exist, are under development, we are informed. But where are they? A king's ransom has been paid to develop such a translation machine for Hindi-Punjabi translations. Nothing for English. Forget Google translation applications.

This web application however is ingenious and perhaps a great aid to us while we wait for an affordable translation machine. I will in minutes be uploading a few pictures to demonstrate how it works in the next window.

The full site is at http://dic.learnpunjabi.org/default.aspx

Also the attachment is a pdf version of the landing page.

Please try it, whether you are a fluent Punjabi speaker or just starting out. And please give some feedback.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This reply is a kind of walk-through demo of how I used the keyboard and dictionary.

In the title of a recent Punjabi language Sikh Spokesman article was this headline ... translated into English as Sardaar, Dastaar and ਵਕਾਰ. And what was ਵਕਾਰ ? I could make it out, but did not know what it meant.

The first image shows the full keyboard and search bar.

The second image shows ਵਕਾਰ typed into the search bar.

The third image shows the dictionary meanings for ਵਕਾਰ

If you try this out, please share your experiences. Thank you

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Oh wow, what a find! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I really like the fact that the words are spoken in their entirety if you use the audio icon.

I like the fact that the results are very clear to read with information in columns rather than rows.

I like the fact that you can search in Punjabi language or English language (to search in English you select 'Meaning' in the 'Look' box.

Very good, best Punjabi-English dictionary I've seen so far. :cheerleaders:

Last edited:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
I find word match or ticking any where are the best options to use. I almost always use fuzzy search too as then you get phrases to improve understanding. Copying and pasting the Gurbani word from other websites works really well. Sometimes get rid of the last bindi or other symbol by pressing backspace once can provide what you need by using a different version of the word (e.g. single version of the plural word).

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I find word match or ticking any where are the best options to use. I almost always use fuzzy search too as then you get phrases to improve understanding. Copying and pasting the Gurbani word from other websites works really well. Sometimes get rid of the last bindi or other symbol by pressing backspace once can provide what you need by using a different version of the word (e.g. single version of the plural word).

Oh No! Not more bindis! :grinningkudi:

Yes I agree about "word match." I never tried "anywhere" but will experiment with that one.

You are right about the fuzzy search.. it is a remarkable feature.

Another thing that adds to understanding of language and culture. Type in a word like "nanak." The dictionary will search through all of the separate entries that begin with "nanak' and you can find out a lot about kinship terms and cultural traditions that begin with "nanak." When I did that about 8 entries were accessed. These were mostly about mother's relatives and traditions on the maternal side of one's family.

Amazing resource

gslehal

SPNer
Oct 2, 2007
Hello,
We had developed the Gurmukhi-Shahmukhi-English dictionary and its nice to hear such positive comments about its utility. Surprisingly the dictionary has been around for more than 6 years but many times I find people are unaware about it. We have also uploaded more than one dozen online Punjabi tools. I have attached a news about those tools. Please visit www.learnpunjabi.org for links to these tools and give us your valuable feedback.

Thanks

Gurpreet Singh Lehal
Director,
Advanced Centre for Technical Development of Punjabi, Literature and Culture

Attachments

• AdvancedCentreNews1.pdf
    584.8 KB · Reads: 492

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: