• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Joora - Tied Hair

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Does anyone have advice on how to tie a jora?

I see it done most of the time as like tying a knot on rope but with hair.. this is probably, as if pulled to tight, the hair might get stuck like that... someone please help?

thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 24, 2007
WJKK WJKF. Yeah thats pretty much right, but if u pull tight it will not get stuck hahah. u can also used a a bit of your Dastaar fabric and wrap it in your jooda if you have not so long hair.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Friend
its no different from the joora the female do at slight posterior location with their hairs

so their no specific way and you can take help of any lady around and she can teach you

and I think this is how most sikh learn it . from a lady ( in most cases its beloved Mother :))

Aug 24, 2007
Well I found that most ladys who wear there dastaars tie there joora at the back of their heads where most men who wear Noks tie it more to the front or centre of their heads.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Satnam Singh Khalsa Ji,

My observations are similar to yours. But we can surely learn from the innovative ways in tying a dastar, dumala or turban from a lady. Some YouTube videos are really amazing.

Tying a joora is like a making a knot. There are many ways to make a knot - similar to a knot for a rope.

Aug 24, 2007
yeah all depends on the type of Dastaar u wear. I wear a Dhamalla so mine is in the middle kinda near the back I would say but its like very large for my dastaars shape. but all are diffrent forsure

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
There is a video on YouTube -- How To Tie An Afghani Turban. I watched it about 12 times.

You have to screen out the disco dancers dressed like Persian soldiers in bikinis gyrating in time to a really bad disco tape to get the full effect of the turban tying lesson.

However, the Afghan turban is one of the simpler ones to tie. After covering your head, leaving about a foot of material loose at the neck, you wrap thin folds firmly around the forehead and going around the left ear, to the base of the skull, then above the right ear, and back again. All in one direction. Then, after a few turns, neatly tuck the folding end into the folds at the back of the head.

This approach does not involve changing direction, and it looks like less cloth is used. I mention it because the folds are low. So probably you can place your joora almost anywhere, except the top of your head. And it probably works better than other dastar for people with less hair.

I don't have the YouTube link because I really do not like YouTube -- leaves cookies.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<I don't have the YouTube link because I really do not like YouTube -- leaves cookies.>

what do you mean?

like a jar of cookies ??? :p

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Heh Heh amarsanghera,

Under the privacy settings of your browser you wil find something like a "Cookie Manager" or similar term.

If you click on that a whole bunch of web addresses will be displayed. These are the "cookie crumbs". When we visit various web sites not only the site but all of its advertisers leave these bits of code behind. You will also notice there is an expiration date for each "cookie". Web sites leave this tracer information and after time it can actually make your browser freeze up. When there is a build up, your browser's efficiency and speed are slowed. Why? I am not sure but it does. So you have to clear your cookies from time to time.

A person can set up privacy settings to block cookies but when you do that there are things that you may want to view that are also then blocked. You can also fix your "cookie" settings so that they are erased whenever you close your browser -- but only on some browsers. With others you have to make a conscious point of erasing them using the cookie manager.

YouTube leaves scores of "cookies" after just one visit to watch one video. SPN clears all of its cookies as soon as you log out. Which is actually praiseworthy of SPN.

Called cookies because they are like a trail of cookie crumbs. The web site and your browser are linked by this trail of "cookies".

Just use the YouTube search feature if you want to find the video - use How To Tie an Afghan Turban -- and you are there.

Damo_Singh

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
Pottsville, PA
I don't have hair long enough yet for a joora; consequently, I have to tie my Patka around my fat head which isn't very successful. I would love to find someone who had a day, month, or year to teach me how to properly tie a turban. Any volunteers. I tried doing it the way it shows on the video on youtube; unfortunately, somewhere during the process it become loose and falls apart before finishing.

Aug 24, 2007
don't worry too much go to the Your Gurdwara Sahib and Ask the Gaini Ji He will help u, for starters You might want to wear a Banada or rumaal until you can make a joota or get any Anty Ji to show you how to tie a jooda when it gets longer they are often good at it haha. anyways maybe go with a Gol Dastaar or Round Dastaar before you go to a Nok Pugh. Don't worry it takes time and I don't find those youtube very helpful. I wear a Dhrumalla now so really don't worry your get it!!

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Damo singh ji,

How long is your hair?

Please provide photo if you can.

For your benefit and comparison, here is picture without my patka on:

With a wet joora:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t200/Sherab000/PC121319.jpg

and here is me without my hair in a joora at all:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t200/Sherab000/PC101307.jpg

If your hair is even shorter then that, just wear a bandana all the time or something., no matter what your hair length is.

PS. I use two elastic bands (girl's hair tyes) for tying my patka. I use one foe the side and front half (the bangs and part that cover the ears) and also for the back. when tying patka, i just tie it behind me head, beneath where the band is, and push the "pony tail" i made in the back, up into the patka... and the rest of the front is in a joora.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Damo singh ji,

How long is your hair?

Please provide photo if you can.

For your benefit and comparison, here is picture without my patka on:

With a wet joora:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t200/Sherab000/PC121319.jpg

and here is me without my hair in a joora at all:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t200/Sherab000/PC101307.jpg

If your hair is even shorter then that, just wear a bandana all the time or something., no matter what your hair length is.

PS. I use two elastic bands (girl's hair tyes) for tying my patka. I use one foe the side and front half (the bangs and part that cover the ears) and also for the back. when tying patka, i just tie it behind me head, beneath where the band is, and push the "pony tail" i made in the back, up into the patka... and the rest of the front is in a joora.
you look sikh with your hair open! I say you should leave them open till they reach your middle back.:D

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: