• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Jobs

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Can anyone suggest what jobs i could get?

I'm age 17, n wearing patka/turban, and would like something remotely sikh related

Apr 4, 2007

I'm age 17, n wearing patka/turban, and would like something remotely sikh related

perhaps something in the health care industry? it's seva, of sorts. :) at 17, i'm not sure what you can do... maybe Nurses Aide, or working in the kitchen or in hospitality (janitorial)? coincidentally my first job was working in the kitchen in a nursing home. it paid well and i felt like i was doing some amount of good in the world (though i may have been deluded), and they weren't terribly concerned with appearances...

if you don't care about getting paid, i can think of a hundred jobs. but if you want money, it's tougher at your age to find a job where you can get away with wearing what you want. when you get a degree in some useful field, people stop caring so much about whether you wear a turban and whatnot.

maybe try starbucks? they seem to hire lots of interesting people... :D

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
perhaps something in the health care industry? it's seva, of sorts. :) at 17, i'm not sure what you can do... maybe Nurses Aide, or working in the kitchen or in hospitality (janitorial)? coincidentally my first job was working in the kitchen in a nursing home. it paid well and i felt like i was doing some amount of good in the world (though i may have been deluded), and they weren't terribly concerned with appearances...

if you don't care about getting paid, i can think of a hundred jobs. but if you want money, it's tougher at your age to find a job where you can get away with wearing what you want. when you get a degree in some useful field, people stop caring so much about whether you wear a turban and whatnot.

maybe try starbucks? they seem to hire lots of interesting people... :D
I'm sadly picky about jobs... however, maybe i can do seva for a gurdwara?

please elt me know what i can do for free.

PS. i was thinking dunkin donuts, but i crumble under pressure, and am bad with people.

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
lol

why dont you start your own business...sikh lemonade stand!

or you could get a factory job...fastening a plastic tip on the end of shoe-laces.

:{;o: EXCITING INNIT?

YES IT IS! I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT OF MODERN WORK.

I SHALL CREATE SEATBELTS.

Not really.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Print and sell Booklets on Sikhism. Source - download from projectnaad.

Jul 10, 2006
lol

why dont you start your own business...sikh lemonade stand!

or you could get a factory job...fastening a plastic tip on the end of shoe-laces.

:{;o: EXCITING INNIT?

Big bully Sinister, will you stop being so 'sinister' and leave Veerji alone.

If you like it so much and or cant help yourself then go stand infront of a mirror and speak to yourself. Who knows your double ganger(doppelganger) might like it and both of you can live happily ever after in your atheist world.

Apr 4, 2007
Interests include cooking (leisurely), reading, india, languages, religion, physical activity, growing plants (i'm growing my own pineapples)... etc...

Pretty basic, just like everyone elses

have you considered looking for a job at a garden center or nursery? not all of the jobs there involve people, some just involve taking care of plants. :) or you could volunteer with your local parks and rec service, they usually need people to do park/trail maintenance.

see if your local library needs paiges... that's always a cool job. :)

i can guarantee that the local gurdwara can always use a hand... maybe you can help out with the landscaping, put two of your interests together?

there are so many opportunities out there... it's just a matter of deciding what you WANT to do. don't worry, if you don't like it, you can always change your mind. :)

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
have you considered looking for a job at a garden center or nursery? not all of the jobs there involve people, some just involve taking care of plants. :) or you could volunteer with your local parks and rec service, they usually need people to do park/trail maintenance.

see if your local library needs paiges... that's always a cool job. :)

i can guarantee that the local gurdwara can always use a hand... maybe you can help out with the landscaping, put two of your interests together?

there are so many opportunities out there... it's just a matter of deciding what you WANT to do. don't worry, if you don't like it, you can always change your mind. :)
Thank you, i will look into it!

Especially the paige thing, or trail maintence, etc :)

Shukria so much, Jasleen ji!! :up::up::up:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Interests include cooking (leisurely), reading, india, languages, religion, physical activity, growing plants (i'm growing my own pineapples)... etc...

Pretty basic, just like everyone elses
Nah those are unique talents. and they branch off into smaller ones. For example if you like physical activity, then what kind? How? There's dancing, running, sports, weithtraining, aerobics, cycling, <insert more stuff here> So maybe you could get a job where you're lifting stuff all the time. If you get a good basic understanding of Sikhism. Maybe you could teach in a Gurudwara. I have done that before. Could also get a simple job in a restaurant.

Do I like cooking? No. Reading? Sikhism, science and philosophy. India? NO. Languages? maybe. religion? yes. Physical activity? working out. Growing plants? No.

See, i dont do half of that stuff. So they are not everyone has those talents/interests.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

My sincere advice to you is do anything.Work hard and honestly please do not associate
sikhism with work.Accept any kind of work given by god to you.At present may be you could find difficuilty but if you work hard and honestly then your employer too will be happy
with you.And If one day he/she could ask you that you are good employee then tell him it is your religion that have told you to work hard and honestly.In this way your work will also be related to sikhism

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
My sincere advice to you is do anything.Work hard and honestly please do not associate
sikhism with work.Accept any kind of work given by god to you.At present may be you could find difficuilty but if you work hard and honestly then your employer too will be happy
with you.And If one day he/she could ask you that you are good employee then tell him it is your religion that have told you to work hard and honestly.In this way your work will also be related to sikhism

Thats very Good and Mature Advice!

Thanks for that

Jatinder Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM