• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Jewels And Precious Metals In Sikhism

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
So where does the sadhu come into this picture ?( quote namjapji)

The Maya cripples all the mortals but the Sadhu .
Sadhu helps the mortals to stay on the path by giving environment. In that environment love for him remains intact.

( next may be tomorrow)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
So where does the sadhu come into this picture ?( quote namjapji)

The Maya cripples all the mortals but the Sadhu .
Sadhu helps the mortals to stay on the path by giving environment. In that environment love for him remains intact.

( next may be tomorrow)

You are speaking of THE ONE SADHU? I am not sure.

Jan 6, 2007
UK
You are speaking of THE ONE SADHU? I am not sure.

ਰਾਗੁ ਗਉੜੀ ਪੂਰਬੀ ਮਹਲਾ
Rāg ga▫oṛī pūrbī mėhlā 4.
Raag Gauree Poorbee, Fourth Mehl:

ਕਾਮਿ ਕਰੋਧਿ ਨਗਰੁ ਬਹੁ ਭਰਿਆ ਮਿਲਿ ਸਾਧੂ ਖੰਡਲ ਖੰਡਾ ਹੇ
Kām karoḏẖ nagar baho bẖari▫ā mil sāḏẖū kẖandal kẖanda he.
The body-village is filled to overflowing with anger and sexual desire; these were broken into bits when one meets with the Holy Saint.

ਪੂਰਬਿ ਲਿਖਤ ਲਿਖੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਮਨਿ ਹਰਿ ਲਿਵ ਮੰਡਲ ਮੰਡਾ ਹੇ ॥੧॥
Pūrab likẖaṯ likẖe gur pā▫i▫ā man har liv mandal mandā he. ||1||
By pre-ordained destiny, one meet with the Guru. One enters into the realm of the Lord's Love. ||1||

ਕਰਿ ਸਾਧੂ ਅੰਜੁਲੀ ਪੁਨੁ ਵਡਾ ਹੇ
Kar sāḏẖū anjulī pun vadā he.
Greet the Holy Saint with your palms pressed together; this is an act of great merit.

ਕਰਿ ਡੰਡਉਤ ਪੁਨੁ ਵਡਾ ਹੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Kar dand▫uṯ pun vadā he. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Bow down before Him; this is a virtuous action indeed. ||1||Pause||

ਸਾਕਤ ਹਰਿ ਰਸ ਸਾਦੁ ਜਾਣਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਕੰਡਾ ਹੇ
Sākaṯ har ras sāḏ na jāṇi▫ā ṯin anṯar ha▫umai kandā he.
The wicked shaaktas, the pretenders, the faithless cynics, do not know the Taste of the Lord's Sublime Essence. The thorn of egotism is embedded deep within them.

ਜਿਉ ਜਿਉ ਚਲਹਿ ਚੁਭੈ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਜਮਕਾਲੁ ਸਹਹਿ ਸਿਰਿ ਡੰਡਾ ਹੇ ੨॥
Ji▫o ji▫o cẖalėh cẖubẖai ḏukẖ pāvahi jamkāl sahėh sir dandā he. ||2||
As they walk away, the deeper it pierces them, and the more they suffer in pain, until finally, the Messenger of Death smashes his club against their heads. ||2||

ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਣੇ ਦੁਖੁ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਭਵ ਖੰਡਾ ਹੇ
Har jan har har nām samāṇe ḏukẖ janam maraṇ bẖav kẖanda he.
The humble servants of the Lord are absorbed in, Har, Har (the Name of the Lord). The pain of birth and the fear of death are eradicated.

ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਬਹੁ ਸੋਭ ਖੰਡ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡਾ ਹੇ ੩॥
Abẖināsī purakẖ pā▫i▫ā parmesar baho sobẖ kẖand barahmandā he. ||3||
They have found the Imperishable Supreme Being, the Transcendent Lord God, and they receive great honor throughout all the worlds and realms. ||3||

ਹਮ ਗਰੀਬ ਮਸਕੀਨ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤੇਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਖੁ ਰਾਖੁ ਵਡ ਵਡਾ ਹੇ
Ham garīb maskīn parabẖ ṯere har rākẖ rākẖ vad vadā he.
I am poor and meek, God, but I belong to You! Save me-please save me, O Greatest of the Great!

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਧਾਰੁ ਟੇਕ ਹੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੇ ਹੀ ਸੁਖੁ ਮੰਡਾ ਹੇ ॥੪॥੪॥
Jan Nānak nām aḏẖār tek hai har nāme hī sukẖ mandā he. ||4||4||
Servant Nanak takes the Sustenance and Support of the Naam. In the Name of the Lord,one enjoys celestial peace. ||4||4||

kiram

SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Guru Amar Das Ji says :.

ਮਨਿ ਚਾਉ ਭਇਆ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਗਮੁ ਸੁਣਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਮੰਗਲੁ ਗਾਉ ਸਖੀ ਗ੍ਰਿਹੁ ਮੰਦਰੁ ਬਣਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਗਾਉ ਮੰਗਲੁ ਨਿਤ ਸਖੀਏ ਸੋਗੁ ਦੂਖੁ ਵਿਆਪਏ ਗੁਰ ਚਰਨ ਲਾਗੇ ਦਿਨ ਸਭਾਗੇ ਆਪਣਾ ਪਿਰੁ ਜਾਪਏ ਅਨਹਤ ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਜਾਣੀ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਭੋਗੋ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਆਪਿ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਕਰਣ ਕਾਰਣ ਜੋਗੋ ॥੩੪॥

Man cẖā▫o bẖa▫i▫ā parabẖ āgam suṇi▫ā.
Har mangal gā▫o sakẖī garihu manḏar baṇi▫ā. Har gā▫o mangal niṯ sakẖī▫e sog ḏūkẖ na vi▫āpa▫e. Gur cẖaran lāge ḏin sabẖāge āpṇā pir jāp▫e. Anhaṯ baṇī gur sabaḏ jāṇī har nām har ras bẖogo. Kahai Nānak parabẖ āp mili▫ā karaṇ kāraṇ jogo. ||34||

My mind has become joyful, hearing of God's coming.
Sing the songs of joy to welcome the Lord, O my companions; my household has become the Lord's Mansion. Sing continually the songs of joy to welcome the Lord, O my companions, and sorrow and suffering will not afflict you. Blessed is that day, when I am attached to the Guru's feet and meditate on my Husband Lord. I have come to know the unstruck sound current and the Word of the Guru's Shabad; I enjoy the sublime essence of the Lord, the Lord's Name. Says Nanak, God Himself has met me; He is the Doer, the Cause of causes. ||34||

ਚਾਉ = ਆਨੰਦ। ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਗਮੁ = ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਆਉਣਾ। ਸਖੀ = ਹੇ ਸਖੀ! ਹੇ ਜਿੰਦੇ! ਮੰਗਲੁ = ਖ਼ੁਸ਼ੀ ਦਾ ਗੀਤ, ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਦਾ ਗੀਤ। ਗ੍ਰਿਹੁ = ਹਿਰਦਾ-ਘਰ। ਮੰਦਰੁ = ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਿਵਾਸ-ਅਸਥਾਨ। ਨ ਵਿਆਪਏ = ਨਹੀਂ ਵਿਆਪਦਾ, ਆਪਣਾ ਦਬਾਉ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾਂਦਾ। ਸਭਾਗੇ = ਭਾਗਾਂ ਵਾਲੇ। ਜਾਪਏ = ਦਿੱਸ ਪਿਆ ਹੈ। ਅਨਹਤ = ਇਕ-ਰਸ। ਅਨਹਤ ਬਾਣੀ = ਇਕ-ਰਸ ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਦੀ ਰੌ। ਸਬਦਿ = ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ। ਜੋਗੋ = ਸਮਰੱਥ।੩੪।

ਆਪਣੀ ਹਿਰਦੇ-ਸੇਜ ਉਤੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ-ਪਤੀ ਦਾ ਆਉਣਾ ਮੈਂ ਸੁਣ ਲਿਆ ਹੈ (ਮੈਂ ਅਨੁਭਵ ਕਰ ਲਿਆ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਮੇਰੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਆ ਵੱਸਿਆ ਹੈ ਹੁਣ) ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਵਿਚ ਆਨੰਦ ਬਣ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ। ਹੇ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੇ! ਮੇਰਾ ਇਹ ਹਿਰਦਾ-ਘਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ-ਪਤੀ ਦਾ ਨਿਵਾਸ-ਅਸਥਾਨ ਬਣ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ, ਹੁਣ ਤੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਦਾ ਗੀਤ ਗਾ। ਹੇ ਜਿੰਦੇ! ਸਦਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਦਾ ਗੀਤ ਗਾਂਦੀ ਰਹੁ, (ਇਹ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ) ਕੋਈ ਫ਼ਿਕਰ ਕੋਈ ਦੁੱਖ (ਆਪਣਾ) ਜ਼ੋਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾ ਸਕਦਾ। ਉਹ ਦਿਨ ਭਾਗਾਂ ਵਾਲੇ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ ਜਦੋਂ (ਮੱਥਾ) ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਉਤੇ ਟਿਕੇ, ਪਿਆਰਾ ਪਤੀ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ (ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ) ਦਿੱਸ ਪੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਇਕ-ਰਸ ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਦੀ ਰੌ ਨਾਲ ਸਾਂਝ ਬਣ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਪ੍ਰਭੂ-ਮਿਲਾਪ ਦਾ ਆਨੰਦ ਮਾਣੀਦਾ ਹੈ। ਨਾਨਕ ਆਖਦਾ ਹੈ-(ਹੇ ਜਿੰਦੇ! ਖ਼ੁਸ਼ੀ ਦਾ ਗੀਤ ਗਾ) ਸਭ ਕੁਝ ਕਰਨ ਦੇ ਸਮਰੱਥ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਆਪ ਆ ਕੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਮਿਲ ਪਿਆ ਹੈ।੩੪। ❁ ਭਾਵ: ਮਨੁੱਖ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਆਤਮਕ ਆਨੰਦ ਤਦੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਣਦਾ ਹੈ ਜਦੋਂ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਪਰਕਾਸ਼ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਤਦੋਂ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਦਾ ਹਿਰਦਾ ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਪਵਿੱਤਰ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਕੋਈ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਕੋਈ ਦੁੱਖ ਉਸ ਉੱਤੇ ਆਪਣਾ ਜ਼ੋਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾ ਸਕਦਾ। ਪਰ ਇਹ ਪਰਕਾਸ਼ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਹੀ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ।

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Gyani Jarnail Singh Ji once said, life is a process of "learning, unlearning and relearning".

Right now I am unlearning because I thought that we needed to go meet with the Lord, but this vaak says the Lord comes to us, so be prepared to receive him. Isn't it similar to rainfall ?

My mind has become joyful, hearing of God's coming. Sing the songs of joy to welcome the Lord, O my companions; my household has become the Lord's Mansion.

My query is that if the Lord is only an awareness away, so is the ruby called Naam !!!
If Naam is with the Lord and the Lord is just an awareness away, then will the Sadhu accept me as his/her chela. How does the typical sadhu look like ?

How many Sadhus are guarding the gate to the Lord's Mansion ? Or shall I say, since the role of Sadhu is to lift the veil of duality and give us an added dimension of vision and understanding, the veil that separates us (the aspirants) from the priceless jewel is an invisible cloak of some sort - a cloaking device.

Gee, I never thought I would be up against an invisible shield with a
blindfold covering my inner vision. Prabh Milne Ka Chao.

Now comes to question : the modules of learning.
What preparation do I need to make in order to travel this journey within the heart ?

No Raiders of the Lost Arc, so what's the purpose of the physical body ?
To meet with the sadhu ?
Still unlearning alot of things.
My imagination still running wild on how a sadhu looks like.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
How many Sadhus are guarding the gate to the Lord's Mansion ?

What does this question mean to you?

As we see “ Sadh, Sant, Brahamgyani” words are used for some persons who may not pass the test of a standard set by Gurbani; psychologically, we are overwhelmingly have got a kind of repulsion from people having these words used with their names; addition to it, a lot of hypocrites strut around in the mask of Sadh and Sant; so doubtful behavior towards them is inevitable.
However, Sree Guru Granth Sahib advocates seeking refuge in Sadh and Sant; literally the stress is on environment. The best environment to progress spiritually is to be company of those who are real Sadh/Sant. There the possibility of “ I know” ceases to exist
Now let’s first understand how these terms are defined by scholars and in Gurbani.

Sadh= Lover of Akaalpurakh (Bhia Veer Singh Sri Guru Granth Sahib Kosh )
Sadh= Virtuous, devoted to well being for others, Holy man, pious,( Bhai Kahan Singh –Mahan Kosh p-101
ਮਨੁ ਅਸਾਧੁਸਾਧੈ ਜਨੁ ਕੋਇThe mind is uncontrollable; rare are those who subdue it, keep in control. (GGS 159) So Sadh is him/her who has kept mind in control literally from all kind of vices and negative primal forces.
ਛਾਇਆ ਰੂਪੀ ਸਾਧੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਨਿ ਤਜਿਆ ਬਾਦੁ ਬਿਬਾਦੁ (1376)( Kabir Ji)
Obviously one who doesn’t argue on idiotic and unnecessary issues, remain indifferent to negative effects of Maya etc.( Bhai Veer Singh)
As expressed earlier, sincerity of high gravity and intact love for Him must be there in Seekers mind. Due to avalanche of Maya, mind may become fragile to its effects; Guru is very much aware of this, so company of Sadh is repeatedly recommended. First the longing for HIM must be there, that longing cannot be of high standard if there is longing for others exists. Naturally being in His love becomes a priority; the company that can drag you to the point from you moved away, must be avoided, the Lord would help to find the real Sadh. Do not shop around for a car unless you know how to drive. Eligibility is must otherwise falling in the hands of hypocritical Sadh will be a great possibility. In Sikh History, some one came back from a pilgrimage and he met a SADH, he was never the same and he never left the Sadh
Here are some Guru Vaakas for inspiration.

ਤੀਰਥ ਵਰਤ ਲਖ ਸੰਜਮਾ ਪਾਈਐਸਾਧੂਧੂਰਿ
Ŧirath vara lak sanjmā pā▫ī▫ai sāḏẖū ḏẖūr.
The merits of pilgrimages, fasts and hundreds of thousands of techniques of austere self-discipline are found in the dust of the feet of the Holy.
ਮਃ 5 -
ਸੋਸਾਧੂ ਬੈਰਾਗੀ ਸੋਈ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਸਾਏ
So sāḏẖū bairāgī so▫ī hirai nām vasā▫e.
That person is a Holy Saadhu, and a renouncer of the world, whose heart is filled with the Naam.
ਮਃ 3
ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਨਿਰਮਲਾ ਆਪਿ ਕਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲ
ḏẖū sanga nirmalā āp kare paripāl.
In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, one becomes immaculate and pure; the Lord Himself takes care of such a one.
ਮਃ 5 -
9 ਜੇ ਲੋੜਹਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਭਾਈ ਸਾਧੂਸੰਗਤਿਗੁਰਹਿਬਤਾਈ ਊਹਾ ਜਪੀਐ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਪਾਰਗਰਾਮ ( 1182 M-5)
If thou desire ever-lasting peace, O brother, then associate with the saints; this is the instruction by the Guru. There the Lord's Name alone is meditated upon. By the society of saints one is emancipated.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Jios, this map is more precise but it needs deciphering in layman language. Please help.
ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਹਰਿਮੰਦਰੁ ਸੋਹਣਾ ਤਿਸੁ ਮਹਿ ਮਾਣਕ ਲਾਲ
प्रभु हरिमंदरु सोहणा तिसु महि माणक लाल ॥
Parabẖ harmandar sohṇā ṯis mėh māṇak lāl.
The Palace of the Lord God is beautiful. Within it are flawless diamonds,

ਮੋਤੀ ਹੀਰਾ ਨਿਰਮਲਾ ਕੰਚਨ ਕੋਟ ਰੀਸਾਲ
मोती हीरा निरमला कंचन कोट रीसाल ॥
Moṯī hīrā nirmalā kancẖan kot rīsāl.
gems, rubies and pearls. A fortress of gold surrounds this Source of Nectar.

ਬਿਨੁ ਪਉੜੀ ਗੜਿ ਕਿਉ ਚੜਉ ਗੁਰ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਨ ਨਿਹਾਲ ॥੨॥
बिनु पउड़ी गड़ि किउ चड़उ गुर हरि धिआन निहाल ॥२॥
Bin pa▫oṛī gaṛ ki▫o cẖaṛa▫o gur har ḏẖi▫ān nihāl. ||2||
How can I climb up to the Fortress without a ladder? By meditating on the Lord, through the Guru, I am blessed and exalted. ||2||

ਗੁਰੁ ਪਉੜੀ ਬੇੜੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੁ ਤੁਲਹਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਉ
गुरु पउड़ी बेड़ी गुरू गुरु तुलहा हरि नाउ ॥
Gur pa▫oṛī beṛī gurū gur ṯulhā har nā▫o.
The Guru is the Ladder, the Guru is the Boat, and the Guru is the Raft to take me to the Lord's Name.

ਗੁਰੁ ਸਰੁ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਬੋਹਿਥੋ ਗੁਰੁ ਤੀਰਥੁ ਦਰੀਆਉ
गुरु सरु सागरु बोहिथो गुरु तीरथु दरीआउ ॥
Gur sar sāgar bohitho gur ṯirath ḏarī▫ā▫o.
The Guru is the Boat to carry me across the world-ocean; the Guru is the Sacred Shrine of Pilgrimage, the Guru is the Holy River.

ਜੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਊਜਲੀ ਸਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵਣ ਜਾਉ ॥੩॥
जे तिसु भावै ऊजली सत सरि नावण जाउ ॥३॥
Je ṯis bẖāvai ūjlī saṯ sar nāvaṇ jā▫o. ||3||
If it pleases Him, I bathe in the Pool of Truth, and become radiant and pure. ||3||

Please explain in simple English the connection between each stanza. I desire to have access to the palace of jewels and the gold. I am greedy. Really greedy.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap ji

I am not trying to be mysterious here- but the sadhu looks like everything and looks like nothing -- according to my limited understanding. Unless we are talking about two different things.

ਸਹਸ ਤਵ ਨੈਨ ਨਨ ਨੈਨ ਹਹਿ ਤੋਹਿ ਕਉ ਸਹਸ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਨਨਾ ਏਕ ਤ+ਹੀ ॥
sehas thav nain nan nain hehi thohi ko sehas moorath nanaa eaek thuohee ||
You have thousands of eyes, and yet You have no eyes. You have thousands of forms, and yet You do not have even one.

Otherwise...:unsure: .... I am getting hung up on the difference beween the sadhu and sadhus.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
`I am afraid to seek the 'true saint' as I have been cheated by a 'bhessi sadhu' before.
He took material possessions from me and my siblings. His chola reaches below his knees and he does kirtan under the bannership of Nanaksar. Hardev Singh Shergill of Vancouver took action against him but the scars of his bad company have remained.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap ji

Hope my simple-minded thinking is not growing tiresome. The sadhu will not be interested in your possessions because he created everything and therefore has no need of possessions.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: