• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Jewels And Precious Metals In Sikhism

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Context: The Kirtan of the Lord's Praise is a priceless diamond. The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is a jewel, a ruby. Somebody please explain if the priceless diamond is more expensive than the Kohinoor!!!

ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਨਿਰਮੋਲਕ ਹੀਰਾ

कीरतनु निरमोलक हीरा ॥
Kīrṯan nirmolak hīrā.
The Kirtan of the Lord's Praise is a priceless diamond.

ਰਤਨ ਜਵੇਹਰ ਨਾਮ
रतन जवेहर नाम ॥
Raṯan javehar nām.
The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is a jewel, a ruby.
......................................................................................

Somebody please explain if the priceless diamond is more expensive than the Kohinoor!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Yes, Aad Ji.

If I were to set sail to an expedition to go find this so-called Naam, the ruby, where shall I start ?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
At the feet of a Sadhu/Saint drenched with humbleness.

Is this a quiz where you are giving the clues but not the real answer ?
So which sadhu does have the ruby at his feet ?

Do I have to ask Makhan Shah Lobhana for the answer ?

Jan 6, 2007
UK
Is this a quiz where you are giving the clues but not the real answer ?
So which sadhu does have the ruby at his feet ?

Do I have to ask Makhan Shah Lobhana for the answer ?

No this is not a quiz but the answer.

Which sadhu? Now that is where your journey begins!

No, you do not have to ask but become Makhan Shah Lobhana. If you approach with the right attitude and mind set you will discover the true Sadhu/Sant. Practice sincerity and you will be assisted by the divine. Practice malice and you will be spotted. Do not challange or test a sadhu!. That will be a bad step to take.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
If you approach with the right attitude and mind set you will discover the true Sadhu/Sant. Practice sincerity and you will be assisted by the divine. Practice malice and you will be spotted. Do not challange or test a sadhu!. That will be a bad step to take.

How can I know if the attitude of sincerity I presently have is the right one or the wrong one ?

Practice malice and I will be spotted. What does that mean ? Please explain.

Do not test or challenge the sadhu (like Obi Wan ?)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Yes, Aad Ji.

If I were to set sail to an expedition to go find this so-called Naam, the ruby, where shall I start ?

Most humbly I suggest -- as deep within yourself as you can go. Not easy.

jinee sun kai manniaa thinaa nij ghar vaas

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Most humbly I suggest -- as deep within yourself as you can go. Not easy.

So deep within myself I have this need to go search for the priceless ruby. Give me a map.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Hah!

If there is a map it is a very different sort of map. The journey is not from a to b by way of c. Best explanation is by Sufs. You never left.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Hah!

If there is a map it is a very different sort of map. The journey is not from a to b by way of c. Best explanation is by Sufs. You never left.

This is really confusing. What kind of life-saving gear is required ? If this is not sailing from a to b by way of c, then how can a sadhu be approached in the first place ?

So am I looking for a sadhu who keeps the priceless ruby at his feet ? Is this the destination. So finding The Sadhu is where the journey begins. A journey without a map???

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap ji

With all due respect -- I am not the one to respond to your question about sadhus.

Satguru is the "life-saving gear" as you put it -- perhaps a minority view -- but my view. :confused: Why would you need gear anyway? You already have what you need.

Jan 6, 2007
UK
How can I know if the attitude of sincerity I presently have is the right one or the wrong one ?

This only you know. Search within why do you want the jewel.

Practice malice and I will be spotted. What does that mean ? Please explain.

People like to test the Guru/sadhu/saint to see if he is worthy of being ones master. If one has such ability then one is already enlightened. It is the master that would test you for being a worthy candidate.

Do not test or challenge the sadhu (like Obi Wan ?)
This comment shows your insincerity. Gallin yog na hoe.

The day you will become desperate like the fish out of water, that will mark the day for your first step of sincerity.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਭਜੁ ਮਨਾ ਜਿਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਜਲ ਕਉ ਮੀਨ

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
What is the right question I should ask ? To show my sincerity ? So sincerity test has to be passed in order to get ....... a map ?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
why do you want the jewel
Because it is priceless and everlasting. So much is talked about Naam, the precious ruby.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
What is the right question I should ask ? To show my sincerity ? So sincerity test has to be passed in order to get ....... a map ?

Namjap ji
What map ants do have to get to their goal? They are blessed with an asset given by the Lord, it is called” sense of smell”, same way you are also blessed with that kind of quality which exists within you. Ek musafir ajnabi said well to seek help from a “sadhu” but go there as a soul drenched in humbleness, in simple words” I’ needs to be controlled as it has failed in establishing the goal we seek for as Guru Followers. Environment sculptures the mind!!
Basically, the company of those who are into that jewel becomes mandatory in spiritual path. Fifth Nanak says as long this “I” gets credit of all “doings”, jewel of Naam remains beyond reach.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
same way you are also blessed with that kind of quality which exists within you

...and what quality would that be ?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
in simple words” I’ needs to be controlled as it has failed in establishing the goal we seek for as Guru Followers. Environment sculptures the mind!!

Is there a simpler way to understand all of this - like in a summary ?

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
ਮੇਰੈ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿਲਗੀਦੇਖਨ ਕਉ ਗੁਰਿ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਨਾਲਿ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ
Merai anar parī lagī ekan ka▫o gur hire nāl ikā▫i▫ā.
Deep within myself, I would love to see the Lord; the Guru has inspired me to see Him within my heart.
ਮਃ 4

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਮੇਰੈ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿਲਗੀਦੇਖਨ ਕਉ ਗੁਰਿ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਨਾਲਿ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ
Merai anar parī lagī ekan ka▫o gur hire nāl ikā▫i▫ā.
Deep within myself, I would love to see the Lord; the Guru has inspired me to see Him within my heart.
ਮਃ 4

So now I get the hints that the journey to take is not a physical one but to go within the heart.

The Guru has inspired me to see Him (the Lord) within my heart. So the the priceless ruby is not a physical tangible commodity ?

So I got to quit the adventures like Raiders of the Lost Arc ?

So where does the sadhu come into this picture ? Does the sadhu come from within or without ?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM