• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

USA Jasbir Kaur: Sikh's Eviction Documents Say God Wants Her Out

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Jasbir Kaur, a Sikh living in Harris County, was having trouble with her mortgage. She lost her job due to a medical problem and was behind in her payments. Still, she thought she could save her home, and was in discussions with a mortgage company, hoping to negotiate a deal not to foreclose.

In the end, it was not to be. The property was sold for a little more than $190,000. Kaur is suing several mortgage companies, accusing them of all sorts of hanky-panky with regard to her eviction and the foreclosure, but that is not what makes her case standout.

Kaur claims that when she received the original eviction petition, it contained a piece of paper which was "offensive and sacrilegious."
According to the lawsuit, "Between Exhibits B and C, [the petition] contained a letter not so subtly hinting that God wanted [Kaur] to leave her house."

Among several quotes listed on the page were, "God commands Abram and Sarai to 'go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you,'" and "What were Abram and Sarai asked to leave behind in order to follow God?"

The quotes refer to the Book of Genesis.

Says Kaur's attorney, Ira Joffe, "I think somebody went a bit overboard. Ninety-nine times out of 100 you're not going to get a Sikh, but this was precisely in the wrong place, and it just felt wrong."

In her lawsuit, Kaur claims that there "is no excuse for the document's existence in the eviction petition," and fears it may have been placed in other people's eviction notices, as well.

Could it all just be one hilarious mix-up and misunderstanding?
Says Joffe, "Their counsel has said it was an accident. I'll assume they're telling the truth. I think at least an apology would be in order."

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2010/08/sikh_intolerance.php

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
As a Sikh who is an expert in dealing with continual Christian proselytising, this is not unexpected. You see, Christians are right and everybody else is wrong. Further, each Christian group/sect is right and every other Christian group/sect is wrong. Religious tolerance in Christianity is oxy{censored}ic.

The logical thing is to somehow dispose of the heathen in our midst, preferably through conversion, but if that doesn't work, banishment is a good alternative.

icecreamkaur

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM