• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Pauri 1 Jap Ji Sahib Paudi-1

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
SACNNED

<> siq nwmu krqw purKu inrBau inrvYru Akwl mUriq AjUnI sYBM gur pRswid ]
(1-1, mÚ 1)

One Universal Creator God. The Name Is Truth. Creative Being Personified. No Fear. No Hatred. Image Of The Undying, Beyond Birth, Self-Existent. By Guru's Grace ~
] jpu ] (1-3, mÚ 1)
Chant And Meditate:

Awid scu jugwid scu ] (1-4, jpu, mÚ 1)
True In The Primal Beginning. True Throughout The Ages.
hY BI scu nwnk hosI BI scu ]1] (1-4, jpu, mÚ 1)
True Here And Now. O Nanak, Forever And Ever True. ||1||

socY soic n hoveI jy socI lK vwr ] (1-5, jpu, mÚ 1)
By thinking, He cannot be reduced to thought, even by thinking hundreds of thousands of times.
cupY cup n hoveI jy lwie rhw ilv qwr ] (1-5, jpu, mÚ 1)
By remaining silent, inner silence is not obtained, even by remaining lovingly absorbed deep within.

BuiKAw BuK n auqrI jy bMnw purIAw Bwr ] (1-5, jpu, mÚ 1)
The hunger of the hungry is not appeased, even by piling up loads of worldly goods.
shs isAwxpw lK hoih q iek n clY nwil ] (1-6, jpu, mÚ 1)
Hundreds of thousands of clever tricks, but not even one of them will go along with you in the end.
ikv sicAwrw hoeIAY ikv kUVY qutY pwil ] (1-6, jpu, mÚ 1)
So how can you become truthful? And how can the veil of illusion be torn away?
hukim rjweI clxw nwnk iliKAw nwil ]1] (1-7, jpu, mÚ 1)
O Nanak, it is written that you shall obey the Hukam of His Command, and walk in the Way of His Will. ||1||

2.As per my understanding.

<> siq nwmu krqw purKu inrBau inrvYru Akwl mUriq AjUnI sYBM gur pRswid ] (1-1, mÚ 1)
] jpu ] (1-3, mÚ 1)
[ Note: The above lines are not discussed here]

The first Paudi lays a stress upon recognizing HIS Hukum or will as the purpose of the mortal. It is by recognizing HIS Hukum that we can align our thinking with HIS will. One should also try to abide by HIS Hukum.

2.1.Meaning of paudi read in isolation and specific observations

1.Awid scu jugwid scu ] (1-4, jpu, mÚ 1)
2.hY BI scu nwnk hosI BI scu ]1] (1-4, jpu, mÚ 1)
3.socY soic n hoveI jy socI lK vwr ] (1-5, jpu, mÚ 1)
4.cupY cup n hoveI jy lwie rhw ilv qwr ] (1-5, jpu, mÚ 1)
5.BuiKAw BuK n auqrI jy bMnw purIAw Bwr ] (1-5, jpu, mÚ 1)
6.shs isAwxpw lK hoih q iek n clY nwil ] (1-6, jpu, mÚ 1)
7.ikv sicAwrw hoeIAY ikv kUVY qutY pwil ] (1-6, jpu, mÚ 1)
8. hukim rjweI clxw nwnk iliKAw nwil ]1] (1-7, jpu, mÚ 1)

2.2 Word meaning

1.Kurh.= False, untrue, deceitful= [ਝੂਠ, ਧੋਖਾ, ਫ਼ਰੇਬ, ਠੱਗੀ, ਨਾਸਵੰਤ, ਵਿਅਰਥ, ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ ਮੋਹ।]

2. Sachiara=[adj ਸੱਚਾ, ਸੱਤਵਾਦੀ, ਸਚਿਆਰਾ, ਈਮਾਨਦਾਰ, ਦਿਆਨਤਦਾਰ; ਹਕੀਕੀ, ਸੱਚਾ]

3. ਫੁਰਮਾਨ=Hukum[Order, judgement]

3.Analysing the Meaning of the paudi

The lines 1 and 2 speak about the self existent and saibhung nature of the creator. He was the truth from the beginning [that cannot be defined as no one knows as to when the creation came into being.] He was the truth .[when this world was not with in ‘time’ and when it entered into the realm of ‘time’ and various ‘yugas’ were defined as per the time.i.e Jugaad, He was truth] and shall be the truth in future. [as well]

The lines 3-6 would not convey anything specific if the lines are read in isolation. This is as per the understanding of the author. The entire Paudi gets a significant meaning if one reaches the 7th line wherein the word ‘Sachiara’ appears.[Kiv Sachiara Hoi aya kiv Kure Tute paal].This is the line from which one can work out the meanings that can be assigned to the previous/earlier lines. The entire purpose of the Paudi is to arrive at the answer to the self imposed question as to How should one become ‘Sachiara’ or truthful and shed off the Kurh.

The Paudi is summed up in the answer to the question i.e. as to how to become truthful. The line no 8 contains the answer to this question contained in the line no.7 i.e. One should lead this life as per the Hukum of the Lord/creator. There is no definition of Hukum contained in the Paudi. As per the Sikh philosophy everything takes place as per HIS Hukum and/or HIS will. Nothing can happen without this. He is powerful and is the causes of causes and He need not consult any one before taking up anything. He is also stated to be the Architect Of the destiny of the individuals.

Let us examine the rest of the lines i.e 3,4 5 and 6

3.socY soic n hoveI jy socI lK vwr ] (1-5, jpu, mÚ 1)
4.cupY cup n hoveI jy lwie rhw ilv qwr ] (1-5, jpu, mÚ 1)

Thus one cannot purify Himself or his mind by taking many cleansing baths. Further the mind does not become peaceful even if it tends to be in His constant/continuous devotion as the mind that is not clean cannot get the benefit of HIS meditation. In nutshell a mind that is not peaceful shall never get peace. In the above lines the reference that is made to mind is, probably, implied as no where in these lines the word mind has been stated. I have also presumed it to be so. However, one would be free to arrive at the meaning if it fits in the entire pattern of the Paudi.

5.BuiKAw BuK n auqrI jy bMnw purIAw Bwr ] (1-5, jpu, mÚ 1)
6.shs isAwxpw lK hoih q iek n clY nwil ] (1-6, jpu, mÚ 1)

The above lines also are independent and the translation can be done accordingly without disturbing the meaning of the other lines. On the interpretation as per the existing translations and the interpretations the line 6 would imply that the Human mind is full of greed and even it does not get satisfied even if the mortal is blessed with loads of the cities. It would imply that even if the man is made the ruler of many cities /load of cities his mind shall never be satisfied. There is no limit to the human desires and hopes and expectations. In this material world one never finds satisfaction. Human mind asks for more and more.

Similarly line No.6 deals with the human cleverness. Even if the one may be very clever or intelligent it is of no avail. The meaning of this line if looked at independent of the entire Paudi will not be significant. The meaning gets projected if one reads the Bani and finds that the tendency of the mind that shows cleverness in finding ways and means to avoid the path of reaching HIM is of no avail. It has also been advised that one should shed off cleverness and should listen to the Guru’s word and follow them to reach the stage of Nirvaan /salvation/liberation that is stated to be the purpose of this life that one gets after being blessed. Thus one’s cleverness is no avail to the individuals and one should not indulge in this kind of technique. One does not get the liberation by sheer talks and one is required to work for the salvation.

As a side note it can be stated that the entire bani has been stated to be the word of the Lord.

siqgur kI bwxI siq siq kir jwxhu gurisKhu hir krqw Awip muhhu kFwey ] (308-5, gauVI)
[O GurSikhs, know that the Bani, the Word of the True Guru, is true, absolutely true. The Creator Lord Himself causes the Guru to chant it.]

4.Concept Of Hukum and Nadar

The concept Of Hukum and Nadar [Grace] are unique in Sikhism. Although it is not unusal to find the concept of Grace/nadar in almost all the religions.Human being acts as per HIS will and order. No one can do anything without these two factors. The mortal has been stated to be a ‘poor creature’ at many places in the bani. This would show the sheer helplessness of the mortals.

ikAw hm jIA jMq bycwry brin n swkh eyk romweI ] (822-11, iblwvlu, mÚ 5)
What am I? Just a poor living being. I cannot even describe one of Your hairs, O Lord.

And

khw krY koeI bycwrw pRB myry kw bf prqwpu ]1] (824-1, iblwvlu, mÚ 5)
What can any wretched creature do to me? The radiance of my God is gloriously great. ||1||

And almost to the same effect:

mY nwhI pRB sBu ikCu qyrw ] (827-16, iblwvlu, mÚ 5)
I am nothing, God; everything is Yours.

Thus everything is as per HIS Hukum and wishes.

4.1.Bani and Hukum

gauVI ] (337-3)
Gauree:
rwm jpau jIA AYsy AYsy ] DR¨ pRihlwd jipE hir jYsy ]1] (337-3, gauVI, Bgq kbIr jI)
Just as Dhroo and Prahlaad meditated on the Lord, so should you meditate on the Lord, O my soul. ||1||

dIn dieAwl Brosy qyry ] (337-3, gauVI, Bgq kbIr jI)
O Lord, Merciful to the meek, I have placed my faith in You;

sBu prvwru cVwieAw byVy ]1] rhwau ] (337-4, gauVI, Bgq kbIr jI)
along with all my family, I have come aboard Your boat. ||1||Pause||

jw iqsu BwvY qw hukmu mnwvY ] (337-4, gauVI, Bgq kbIr jI)
When it is pleasing to Him, then He inspires us to obey the Hukam of His Command.

ies byVy kau pwir lGwvY ]2] (337-4, gauVI, Bgq kbIr jI)
He causes this boat to cross over. ||2||

gur prswid AYsI buiD smwnI ] (337-5, gauVI, Bgq kbIr jI)
By Guru's Grace, such understanding is infused into me;

cUik geI iPir Awvn jwnI ]3] (337-5, gauVI, Bgq kbIr jI)
my comings and goings in reincarnation have ended. ||3||

khu kbIr Bju swirgpwnI ] (337-5, gauVI, Bgq kbIr jI)
Says Kabeer, meditate, vibrate upon the Lord, the Sustainer of the earth.

aurvwir pwir sB eyko dwnI ]4]2]10]61] (337-6, gauVI, Bgq kbIr jI)
In this world, in the world beyond and everywhere, He alone is the Giver. ||4||2||10||61||

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Purpose Of Life

The purpose of life is to worship God and eventually become one with the One.

God is the greatest spirit of all and our soul is a part of God. Our soul has been separated from God and it’s dignity remains in merging back with God. The purpose of this life is to become one with God, to merge in the One whom we originated from. Our Guru tells us “This human body has been given to you. This is your chance to meet the Lord of the Universe. All other works are useless, join the holy congregation and meditate on the Name of God” (Guru Granth Sahib, 12).

In addition, “The blind (those who do not recognize the importance of God) have forgotten the Name of God. The self-willed people are in utter darkness. Their comings and goings in reincarnation do not end; through death and rebirth, they are wasting away” (Guru Granth Sahib, 19). Furthermore, “Those who meditate single-mindedly on the Name of God, and contemplate the Teachings of the Guru. Their faces are forever radiant in the Kingdom of God” (Guru Granth Sahib, 28). If you are not meditating on God, you are wasting your life.

AmbarDhara

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Sikh 80 Ji,

Who is writting What?

Can you please clarify which post is your writting and which is somebody else's?

I saw one of the posts give a reference: but the rest of the posts material is not there.

Please, can you provide the source, Thanks in advance.

Or Is this all your own writting?

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Attributes Of The creator
[/FONT]

I have taken from bani some of the Attributes of the creators.,The same are posted here.

1.Creative powers

kyqIAw qyrIAw kudrqI kyvf qyrI dwiq ] (18-1, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
You have so many Creative Powers, Lord; Your Bountiful Blessings are so Great.

kyqy qyry jIA jMq isPiq krih idnu rwiq ] (18-1, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
So many of Your beings and creatures praise You day and night.

kyqy qyry rUp rMg kyqy jwiq Ajwiq ]3] (18-2, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

You have so many forms and colors, so many classes, high and low. ||3||

scu imlY scu aUpjY sc mih swic smwie ] (18-2, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

Meeting the True One, Truth wells up. The truthful are absorbed into the True Lord.

One may post other attributes Of the Lord.

2. Saibhung
hY BI hosI jwie n jwsI scw isrjxhwro ]3] (24-11, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
The True Creator Lord is, and shall always be. He was not born; He shall not die. ||3||

3.Omnipresent
qU BrpUir jwinAw mY dUir ] (25-8, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
You are present everywhere. I had thought that You were far away.

4.He is everything
Awpy nyVY dUir Awpy hI Awpy mMiJ imAwnuo ] (25-10, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
He Himself is near, and He Himself is far away; He Himself is in-between.

Awpy vyKY suxy Awpy hI kudriq kry jhwnuo ] (25-10, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
He Himself beholds, and He Himself listens. By His Creative Power, He created the world.

jo iqsu BwvY nwnkw hukmu soeI prvwnuo ]4]31] (25-11, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
Whatever pleases Him, O Nanak-that Command is acceptable.

There are many attributes stated in Gurbani.

--
Ambradhara ji

Most Of the material that I am posting is properly sourced and the source have been given at each and every post. The other posts where I have not given the source is on account of the fact that I have not noted down the source in my notes.The same shall be posted as and when these are confirmed, on retrial if the same can be located.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand

Alwhu AlKu AgMmu kwdru krxhwru krImu ]
(64-9, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
He is Allah, the Unknowable, the Inaccessible, All-powerful and Merciful Creator.

He is with in

dh ids Kojq hm iPry myry lwl jIau hir pwieAVw Gir Awey rwm ] (542-11, ibhwgVw, mÚ 5)
I wandered around, searching in the ten directions, O my dear beloveds, but I came to find the Lord in the home of my own being.

3.All pervasive
srby smwxw Awip suAwmI gurmuiK prgtu hoieAw ] (542-12, ibhwgVw, mÚ 5)
The Lord and Master Himself is pervading everywhere; through the Guru, He is revealed.

And

jhw dyKw qhw suAwmI pwrbRhmu sB Twey ] (542-13, ibhwgVw, mÚ 5)
Wherever I look, the Lord and Master is there. The Supreme Lord God is everywhere.

[/FONT] Infinite without Limit

suMdr soBw lwl gopwl dieAwl kI Apr Apwrw rwm ] (542-15, ibhwgVw, mÚ 5)
The Glory of the Beloved, Merciful Lord of the Universe is beautiful; He is infinite and without limit.[/FONT]

May 19, 2008
wahe gur ji ka khalsa wahe guru ji ki fateh
i want to know if gurmughi is written in english e.g first line of japuji sahib or is it some other script specific to computer. i am finding it to decode .i am frdm india and have minimum knowledge of computer
jitender

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Welcome to SPN and make yourself at home.

~ namjap ~

May 19, 2008
Welcome to SPN and make yourself at home.

~ namjap ~
wahe guru ji ka khalsa
wahe guru ji ki fateh
my query is that aad sach is the beginning of shlok and 1st pauri starts with soche soch. at sikh philosophy .net 1st pauri has been started with aad sach
jitender

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Respected Jitender ji,

It is not at SPN that Jap ji Paudi shall begin with some other 'tuk'. If it was a mistake of judgment , i am responsible for this mistake.

I need not give justification . However, since sloka was not to be discussed separately it was prefixed to the Paudi-1. It was for this reason that i took up the sloka and the paudi together. inconvenience caused, if any, is regretted.

Thx. for pointing it out.

regards

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Essence Of Paudi-1

When one proceeds further it is realized that one can assign many meanings.I was earlier stuck up with as to the exact meaning that could be assigned to the following two lines of the Paudi-1.On re-reading it I find that these lines contain the essence of the Paudi-1

kv sicAwrw hoeIAY ikv kUVY qutY pwil ]
(1-6, jpu, mÚ 1)

So how can you become truthful? And how can the veil of illusion be torn away?

hukim rjweI clxw nwnk iliKAw nwil ]1]
(1-7, jpu, mÚ 1)

O Nanak, it is written that you shall obey the Hukam of His Command, and walk in the Way of His Will. ||1|

How should we become 'Sachiara' is the basic question posed by Guru Sahibs and the answer is contained in the very next line.It is self explanatory and it was not so when I had taken up this. I am sharing as to how should we be truthful and lead the life as is ordained by Guru sahibs.

We should lead the life as per HIS hukum or will. What is the will of the Lord is not known to us , the mortals, who are engrossed in Maya and the illusion of the same. Bani do state that we are all poor creatures and are engaged in the activity as per That Divine will. The position of creature has been explained by the helplessness of the creature as he is not in a position to anything without His grace.

ikAw hm jIA jMq bycwry brin n swkh eyk romweI ] (822-11, iblwvlu, mÚ 5)
What am I? Just a poor living being. I cannot even describe one of Your hairs, O Lord.

Total submission is also expected of a seeker:

mY nwhI pRB sBu ikCu qyrw ] (827-16, iblwvlu, mÚ 5)
I am nothing, God; everything is Yours.

One finds many expressions of this nature where it has been stated that the mortals are poor creatures engaged in whatever is deemed best by the Almighty. We do not have any power to do anything of our own.The destiny governs our actions and we gather the Karmas that are to be repaid or settled in the lives to come till we are able to break this cycle of rebirths.

Expressing the above Guru sahibs have stated the following:

nwnk jo iqsu BwvY so QIAY ienw jMqw vis ikCu nwih ]8]4] (55-18, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
O Nanak, whatever pleases His Will comes to pass. Nothing is in the hands of these beings. ||8||4||

[/FONT]
nwnk jMq vjwey vwjih ijqu BwvY iqqu rwih cleIAw ]8]2]5] (834-11, iblwvlu, mÚ 4)
O Nanak, we are the instruments upon which He plays; as He wills, so is the path we take. ||8||2||5||

[/FONT] ikAw vycwrw jMqu jw Awip BulwieAw ]8] (707-16, jYqsrI, mÚ 5)
What can the poor helpless creature do? The Lord Himself has deluded him. ||8||

In the wider context, how should we find out as to what is HIS will according to which we have to work and lead this life, the answer lies in some other lines of bani as well. The above line is reflective of the power of Almighty and the helplessness of the creatures, the mortals.

What is HIS will and Hukum? This is still illusory. One can become sachiara by accepting HIs will.
One has following line to ponder upon:

[/FONT] khY nwnku Awip krqw Awpy hukmu buJwey ]26] (920-14, rwmklI, mÚ 3)
Says Nanak, He Himself is the Creator; He Himself reveals the Hukam of His Command. ||26||

Till we are not able to understand the Will , we shall all be miserable:

[/FONT] jb lgu hukmu n bUJqw qb hI lau duKIAw ] (400-16, Awsw, mÚ 5)
As long as he does not understand the Command of God's Will, he remains miserable.

It is through Guru that we come to understand HIS will.

[/FONT] swcy gur qy hukmu pCwnu ]2] (414-8, Awsw, mÚ 1)
Through the True Guru, the Command of the Lord's Will is realized. ||2||

We all are blessed to have Guru Granth sahib ji to provide us with the understanding and guidance. I have summed up HIS will as per my understanding as follows.

[/FONT] suK duK sm kir nwmu n Cofau Awpy bKis imlwvxhwrw ]1] rhwau ] (416-3, Awsw, mÚ 1)
I look upon pleasure and pain alike; I shall not forsake the Naam, the Name of the Lord. The Lord Himself forgives me, and blends me with Himself. ||1||Pause||

And

burw Blw jy sm kir jwxY ien ibiD swihbu rmqu rhY ]8] (432-18, Awsw, mÚ 1)
One who recognizes bad and good as one and the same - in this way he is absorbed into the Lord and Master. ||8||

And

[/FONT]
hrK sog duhu mwih inrwlw krxYhwru pCwqw ]2] (498-1, gUjrI, mÚ 5)

He remains unaffected by both fortune and misfortune, and he recognizes the Creator Lord. ||2||

There is clear cut meaning that one can assign to these lines. If one is not disturbed by the pain and is not overwhelmed by the pleasure one should have to be in the state where it can be said that one has been able to understand HIS will. It is one of the important qualifications for attaining the state of Equipoise. It is in this state that one reaches 'sahaj' as well. It is in this state that everything appears to be the desire and wish of the creator and everything seems to happen naturally. The divine will finds its meaning when we are able to appreciate that whatever is happening is as per His orders and we do not then have any anguish or pain or anxiety that are stated to be the part of lower consciousness.

I shall finish this by the following beautiful shabad.

[/FONT] soriT mhlw 9 ] (633-15)
Sorat'h, Ninth Mehl:
jo nru duK mY duKu nhI mwnY ] (633-15, soriT, mÚ 9)
That man, who in the midst of pain, does not feel pain,
suK snyhu Aru BY nhI jw kY kMcn mwtI mwnY ]1] rhwau ] (633-16, soriT, mÚ 9)
who is not affected by pleasure, affection or fear, and who looks alike upon gold and dust;||1||Pause||
nh inMidAw nh ausqiq jw kY loBu mohu AiBmwnw ] (633-16, soriT, mÚ 9)
Who is not swayed by either slander or praise, nor affected by greed, attachment or pride;
hrK sog qy rhY inAwrau nwih mwn Apmwnw ]1] (633-17, soriT, mÚ 9)
who remains unaffected by joy and sorrow, honor and dishonor;||1||
Awsw mnsw sgl iqAwgY jg qy rhY inrwsw ] (633-17, soriT, mÚ 9)
who renounces all hopes and desires and remains desireless in the world;
kwmu k®oDu ijh prsY nwhin iqh Git bRhmu invwsw ]2] (633-18, soriT, mÚ 9)
who is not touched by sexual desire or anger - within his heart, God dwells.

As a concluding Line:

jo qum@ krhu soeI Blw min lyqw mukqw ] (809-10, iblwvlu, mÚ 5)
One who accepts whatever You do as good - that mind is liberated.

Wjkk Wjkf
[/FONT]

May 19, 2008
WAHE GURU JI KA KHALSA WAHE GURU JI KI FATEH
the last 2 lines of 1st pauri of japji sahib summarise the teachings of guru nanak. from the 1st line guru nanak tells themethods people adopt to become enlightened--sachiara. to nanak there is only one way to get enlightenment and to dismantle the veil of falsehood. and that is submission to the divine order. it is just like a son obeying his father. the obedience should be without questioning. right. next, we should be happy in the divine order.isnt it a tall order for we mortals. who ever is born is encircled with maya--may be less may be more.hence sorrows and happinesses. we are just worms and cannot be so great as to feel that we enjoy our losses.. great saints,peers and even gurus had been having their share of-sorrows and hence depressions at certain moments. if i hvnt any misconception,Guru Gobind Singh Ji was also depressed when 40 muktas laid down their lives and when he lost his sons
submissuion to the divine order brings enlightenment. if we read the biographies of enlightened persons,we find that they were enlightened only when they left every conscious effort. .enlightenment is not a result of conscious efforts, it is a reward to the submission to the divine order
jitender kaur

Jan 6, 2007
UK
we are just worms and cannot be so great as to feel that we enjoy our losses.. great saints,peers and even gurus had been having their share of-sorrows and hence depressions at certain moments.

Divine works in different ways. How can worms know how saints. peers and Gurus felt. This is your mis-conception. What you see is Devine Leela. It is not easily understood.

if i hvnt any misconception, Guru Gobind Singh Ji was also depressed when 40 muktas laid down their lives and when he lost his sons submissuion to the divine order brings enlightenment.

Yes this is your second mis-conception. All that you see and hear is not necessarily the truth. Guru Gobind Singh and Depression! NO NO NO. You do not understand spirituality yet Jatinder Kaur ji. Guru ji say "Main hun param purakh ko dassa, dekhan ayo JAGAT TAMASHA. How can you say he was depressed. Totally disagree with you.

if we read the biographies of enlightened persons,we find that they were enlightened only when they left every conscious effort. .enlightenment is not a result of conscious efforts, it is a reward to the submission to the divine order

Firstly, did the enlightened people write these biographies personally. How can a third party write the going ons in the spiritual world. Even our Gurus who had the divine authority did only write from their perspective. Are you not contradicting yourself in you statements.

The term Viraag is being misunderstood as depression. Please do not just make judgements when confusion still harbours in ones mind.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
WAHE GURU JI KA KHALSA WAHE GURU JI KI FATEH
the last 2 lines of 1st pauri of japji sahib summarise the teachings of guru nanak. from the 1st line guru nanak tells themethods people adopt to become enlightened--sachiara. to nanak there is only one way to get enlightenment and to dismantle the veil of falsehood. and that is submission to the divine order. it is just like a son obeying his father. the obedience should be without questioning. right. next, we should be happy in the divine order.isnt it a tall order for we mortals. who ever is born is encircled with maya--may be less may be more.hence sorrows and happinesses. we are just worms and cannot be so great as to feel that we enjoy our losses..
jitender kaur

Respected Sister,

With due respect to the observations of Ek Musafir ji , I agree with you that it is a tall order to be 'Sachiara'. Frankly speaking, I even do one understand as what this Maya is all about. I also do not know as to what are the 'Tri badh' that are to be overcome and what is the method of overcoming the Tri-gunas.

For sikhs Simran is recommended. It is sikhism all about. It is the essence i.e to keep your mind engaged in HIS memory and love if we can develop.

We may be worms or like because we do not understand as to what is spiritual wisdom. All one can do is to practice truthfulness i.e be honest, forgiving, have compassion, love for others practice contentment and develop all similar saintly qualities needed for such kind of living. I think it is all about self-development that may lead to self realization. God is all but HIS creation. He is not an individual. Realisation is all but knowing that we all have a common spirit and we should help one another. God shall not be seen by us as He cannot be seen as per Gurbani.

Bani also recommends that we should be equipoise and maintain equilibrium of mind.

Gurbani places lot of importance on pre-ordained destiny.
But I do not know what were my past karmas that I should improve upon.

It is all that I understand from bani. Practice Simran but that also is stated to come to us when we are blessed by HIM.

It is all that we learn from bani.

1. Lead a truthful life and be in the state of Equipoise.
2. Do naam simran.[Guru mantar] or do Nitnem.
3. We shall get that HE gives and that is all we should expect and nothing more.

This is bani all about or may be that is all I understand from bani. This is the sum total Of bani for me.

My other friends shall also share their view points.

WJkk WjkF

Regards. to all.

Let us have look at Today's hukumnama

[SIZE=-1]English Translation :[/SIZE]
JAITSREE, FOURTH MEHL, FIRST HOUSE, CHAU-PADAS:
ONE UNIVERSAL CREATOR GOD. BY THE GRACE OF THE TRUE GURU:
The Jewel of the Lords Name abides within my heart; the Guru has placed His hand on my forehead. The sins and pains of countless incarnations have been cast out. The Guru has blessed me with the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and my debt has been paid off. || 1 || O my mind, vibrate the Lords Name, and all your affairs shall be resolved. The Perfect Guru has implanted the Lords Name within me; without the Name, life is useless. || Pause || Without the Guru, the self-willed manmukhs are foolish and ignorant; they are forever entangled in emotional attachment to Maya. They never serve the feet of the Holy; their lives are totally useless. || 2 || Those who serve at the feet of the Holy, the feet of the Holy, their lives are made fruitful, and they belong to the Lord. Make me the slave of the slave of the slaves of the Lord; bless me with Your Mercy, O Lord of the Universe. || 3 || I am blind, ignorant and totally without wisdom; how can I walk on the Path? I am blind O Guru, please let me grasp the hem of Your robe, so that servant Nanak may walk in harmony with You. || 4 || 1 ||

Thrusday, 19th Assaar (Samvat 540 Nanakshahi) (Page: 696)

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
(quote jatinder Kaur ji)isnt it a tall order for we mortals. who ever is born is encircled with maya--may be less may be more.hence sorrows and happinesses.

Why we feel it is a tall Order? isn't it a questioning of our enslaved minds? Problem is lack of faith in Guru and as well as in ourselves due to duality. Boat is doomed at the start. Result of it, we judge Guru ji in the same way as we feel. Forgive me please, I must call it a suicidal approach of ignorant. So goal is achieved only if path leading to it is walked on. Who tries, practices too.

May 19, 2008
ref--why we feel a tall order?--ajnabi ji
why we feel a tall order? why not?do not think of one in millions. my view point is keeping in mind the majority.how many---how many can walk on the path -- sukh dukh dono sam kar jano?as long as you have green pastures, every philosophy is practical
ref-- isnt it a question of enslaved minds?
no doubt it is .the day mind is not enslaved, it will be enlightenedit will be out of the circle of maya
ref duality--
duality is there in most of the people.it is duality when we say we are happy as per divine order only as long as our pastures are green.i pray god saves us from his tests
ref we judge guruji---
who are we to judge guruji? guru is our teacher, our guideand an example before us.way to getting enlightenment , no doubt, is submission to the divine order. but i still say that path is not easy to tread. i am enslaved,--i am not an evolved soul, i am not enlightened but still i say i try not to live in duality. if my boat is doomed at the start, it is also his hukam.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: