Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

World Islamic cleric decrees it OK for Syrian rebels to rape non-Sunni women

Discussion in 'Breaking News' started by Archived_member15, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Archived_member15

Archived_member15
    Expand Collapse

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...es-it-ok-syrian-rebels-rape-wo/#ixzz2Q9UzKhi6

I am absolutely appalled by this! I just cannot bring myself to comprehend that in the midst of a brutal civil war, a religious cleric - who is supposed, surely, on account of his office of responsibility to be a force for peace and mutual understanding - would sanction as being under fatwa (religious dictate) the right of men to rape of innocent women - both Muslim and non-Muslim - who are not Sunni.

I am absolutely outraged. This has truly disturbed me.

I do not know if this has been put up on SPN already but I found it on the news section of a Catholic Forum just this minute. Its from April 3rd but I never knew of it until today.

Apparently this is the second cleric who has condoned this? Reading stuff like this really dents my faith in humanity. How is this obscenity justified?

The story is given a fuller treatment on this Human Rights news site:

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/04/02/islamic-cleric-rape-of-non-muslim-syrian-women-permitted/

• Like Like x 4
    #1 Archived_member15, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Vande Mataram un-Islamic, say clerics General Nov 4, 2009
    Sikh News Sikh Temple Blown Up By Islamic State Supporters 'Not Terrorism' - Breitbart News Breaking News Jul 21, 2016
    Islam Interfaith Forum On Islamic Extremism Interfaith Dialogues Mar 13, 2015
    Islam Hindu Temple Renovation Disrespects Malaysia's Islamic Status Interfaith Dialogues Oct 31, 2013
    A Case of Identity Politics? First the Islamic Car, Now You Can't Say Allah Interfaith Dialogues Oct 19, 2013

3. Archived_member15

Archived_member15
    Expand Collapse

In the second article this has shocked me even more (if that were humanely possible!):

I am mean, this just makes me speechless.

Seriously, this is just appalling.

I know that there are many moderate Muslims who will be sickened by this usage of a religious text to excuse criminal behaviour, however something seriously has to be done so as to prevent religious rulings and texts from being used as justification for the abuse of women and other civilians during armed conflict.

• Like Like x 3
    #2 Archived_member15, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  4. Kanwaljit Singh

Kanwaljit Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    Apache Spark, Scala developer
    Writer SPNer

Regarding this, I was thinking about a line in SGPC Rehat Maryada (thankfully no one enforces it):

A Sikh's daughter must be married to a Sikh.

This one line is plainly sexist. There is nothing written about a Sikh's son, as if he will always do what is expected of him. Secondly it enforces a father's will on a daughter, thereby destroying her individuality.

If a daughter asks the father to find a groom, it must be a Sikh. If a daughter wishes to marry someone she knows, then?

• Like Like x 3
  5. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Guru Piayario Jios...
    My younger brother DR. karminder Singh ji has already covered THIS supposed Gender Bias in SRM..and a host of other matters in the SRM vis a vis Ananad Karaj....Here is the scholarly article posted by me on SPN long long ago...

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/26347-anand-karaj-per-sikh-rehat-marayada.html

Please go thropugh it ji..EVERY point is covered.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

My brother Vouthon ji I do believe you are very learned. Which part of non-Muslims being Qaffars/"animals, dirt, nothing, etc.", you don't understand? You, me, Sikhs, Christians, Catholics, etc., are all Qaffars.

It is valid for a Muslim to take our property, enslave us, cheat on us, do what they like to the women, etc. A remarkable non-sugar coated work on Jihadist manifesto detailed it in very scholarly way. It was written by the American turned Jihadist Anwar al-Awlaki. Very fascinating document if you can get hold of it.

I am not and neither can we as a collective teach them new rules. It is what they believe in, it is what it is.

Regards.

PS: Some Nuggets from his book,

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:DocumentProperties> <o:Author>www</o:Author> <o:Version>11.9999</o:Version> </o:DocumentProperties> </xml><![endif]-->
    d. ‘They are stern towards the disbelievers’ – they are harsh around the kuffar.
    They are the ones who are willing to stand up against the oppression of the
    kuffar. They are the ones who are willing to terrorize the kuffar as Allah says,

“Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power,
    including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies”24.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, you will find Muslims who are critical of other
    Muslims but are very humble and kind towards the kuffar. They justify this by
    saying it’s done for the purpose of da’wah; they want them to become Muslim. In
    reality, that’s not the case. They are not telling them of what Islam truly is. They
    are giving them a false impression of what Islam is.

f. ‘They don’t fear the blame of the blamers’ – the munafiqeen are going to blame
    them. And obviously, the kuffar are going to speak about them negatively in the
    paper, television and radio. But do these brothers care about what is said about
    them? They could careless what the most famous news stations and newspapers
    say about them. As long as what they are doing pleases Allah, nothing bothers
    them.

Sa’ad bin Mua’dh was the ally of Banu Qurayda in his years of jahilliya. When he
    became Muslim, he cut that relationship since Islam demands loyalty to Allah,
    His Messenger, and the mo’mineen. Later, when Banu Qurayda surrendered they
    agreed to accept the ruling of Sa’ad bin Mua’dh since he was their former ally in
    jahilliya. The tribe of Al Aws was telling Sa’ad to be kind in his judgment towards
    them. Sa’ad said, “It’s about time for Sa’ad to not fear the blame of the blamers in
    the sake of Allah.” As soon as they heard that, they knew that their former allies
    are dead. Sa’ad asked the Jews if they agree to his judgment; they said yes.
    Likewise he asked the Muslims if they accept his ruling and they replied in the
    affirmative.

Sa’ad said, “My ruling is that all of the men should be executed, and
    their women, children and property be appropriated by the Muslims.” The
    Prophet said, “Your ruling is the same ruling of Allah from on top of seven
    heavens.”

That day, 900 Jews were killed. Why did this happen? They committed
    treason.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Interesting information on the influence of such documents on people in the following,

http://counterterrorismblog.org/2009/11/investigating_ft_hood_anwar_al.php
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Print</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

• Like Like x 4
    #5 Ambarsaria, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  7. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

This news should be taken into context. First, Washington Times is an ultra right wing anti- Islamic newspaper. In fact this news paper was once owned by Reverend Moon.

Secondly, the minority Alawite tribe of Shia sect has been ruling the majority Sunnis in Syria since the early 60's with a heavy hand. Lot of Sunni girls/women have disappeared/raped/ abducted by the Assad regime and the Baath party since then.

As the Sunni rebels are gaining ground, this Fatwa is *** for tat which is a common thing in Islam.

Tejwant Singh

• Like Like x 4
    #6 Tejwant Singh, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  8. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Vouthonji

I envy you for the ability to be shocked.

• Like Like x 5
  9. GSingh1984

GSingh1984
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

What's so surprising? The only difference since the third caliph when the quran was re-edited to longest to short sura from a chonrological order is that now clerics declare things, instead of muslims knowing it themselves.

Sira(biography), hadith (traditions), quran (word of allah).

Mohammed himself raped non-muslim women, so of course it's ok for other muslims to do it.

Tejwant Singh, I think you need to look up the story of Aisha before you comment further.

She was a 6 year old married to a 55+ year old man. (guess who?)

I say everything with the upmost respect, and mean no hatred nor harm towards anyone. However, everything I have said can be double checked by checking the source material yourself.

If that is 'hateful' then I would question the material, not the person posting it.