• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Is The Golden Temple All Real Gold, Asked Canadian PM

Vikram singh

SPNer
Feb 24, 2005
Stephen-Harper_1.jpg
During his recent visit to the Sikhs' holiest shrine, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper could not believe that the Golden Temple was all covered with real gold.
Harper was so struck by the sight of the resplendent Sikh temple that he asked someone in his entourage whether it was all real gold.
"When the prime minister had his first glimpse of the Golden Temple on that beautiful sunny day, he asked someone next to him: Is it real gold? 'Yes, it is real gold, sir,' the person toldthe prime minister,'' says Amritsar-born Dr Birinder Singh Ahluwalia who was one of the eight top Indo-Canadians picked up by the prime minister for his India visit.
Toronto-based Ahluwalia, who runs one of the biggest diagnostic centres in Canada, says, "The Canadian prime minister was thrilled by the golden beauty of the temple and kept looking at it. He paid his obeisance, made an offering of Rs 1,000 and received a siropa.''
Alhuwalia, who moved to Canada more than 25 years ago, said, "There were thousands and thousands of people to see the Canadian prime minister. Seeing this welcome in my hometown, I told his executive assistant (Jeremy Hunt) that the PM is more popular here than the fifth Beatle. There was so much response and energy.''
And this overwhelming welcome for the Canadian prime minister in Amritsar was reported back as "chaos' by the Canadian journalists accompanying Harper.
"From the viewpoint of the Canadian media, it was chaos, but it was excitement and energy generated by the prime minister's visit,'' added another entourage member and biggest Indo- Canadian landlord Bob Dhillon.
"When the PM came to the Golden Temple, he was treated like a rock star. There were 125,000 people and the energy was overwhelming. The amount of respect the prime minister got there surpassed anything I have seen in my whole life,'' the self-made multi-millionaire said.
"Personally, I went to the Golden Temple for the first time in my life, and the irony is that it was the prime minister of Canada who took me there. It was an uplifting spiritual experience for me,'' said Calgary-based Dhillon whose Mainstreet Equity company has more than 6,000 rental properties across Canada.
"The sight of tall Nihang Sikhs throwing a security cordon around the Canadian prime minister was just unbelievable,'' added the second biggest landlord in Canada.
Dhillon said, "During the state dinner at Hyderabad House, when I told prime minister Manmohan Singh that I am the biggest Indian landlord in Canada, he put his hand on my shoulder said: 'I am very proud of you.' I will never forget that.'' (IANS)

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Harper is an idiot.

Nothing he says or does shows the slightest intelligence. I guess this proves that even a ***** cannot miss the grandeur of Darbar Sahib.

Am I allowed to trash a serving head of state? I am a Canadian and know whatof I write.

"Fifth Beatle"? That would be Pete Best, if memory serves.

He paid his obeisance, made an offering of Rs 1,000 and received a siropa.''

No reflection on Mr. Harper, I just wonder if I go to Harimandir Sahib and made a donation of Rs1000 (US$21.42), will they give me a souvenir siropa of honour?

BTW, Vikram Singh ji, thank you for your definitions of terrorism and freedom fighting. They are the best I've seen.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Mai ji,

Guru Fateh.

The other side of the coin could be that Harper must be appalled to see the Golden Temple with so much gold and at the same time the amount of poverty in India and lack of health care for the poor. Our Guru did not build Harmander Sahib the most sacred shrine in Sikhism turn into Golden Temple. Maharaja Ranjit Singh did that and it has become a white elephant now. The costs to upkeep all that gold leafing and the inlays design is tremendous which could be put to use in a Sikhi manner to help others.

Many other famous historical Gurdwaras are being ignored because of that. If you visit Tarantaran Sahib which is only 15 miles away from Harmander Sahib, all its meenakaari is gone and replaced with cement patches.

So, I understand Harper's viewpoint and awe with the Golden Temple, but there has to be an underlying thought about all this which should not be ignored. rest of the Canadian Indians were there not for anything else but for me-ism in my opinion because none of them is a practicing Sikh.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Mai ji,

Guru Fateh.

The other side of the coin could be that must be appalled to see the Golden Temple with so much gold and at the same time the amount of poverty in India and lack of health care for the poor. Our Gurus did not Harmander Sahib the most sacred shrine in Sikhism into Golden Temple. Maharaja Ranjit Singh did that and it has become a white elephant now. The costs to upkeep all that gold leafing and the inlays design is tremendous which could be put to use in a Sikhi manner to help others.

Many other famous historical Gurdwaras are being ignored because of that. If you visit Tarantaran Sahib which is only 15 miles away from Harmander Sahib, all its meenakaari is gone and replaced with cement patches.

So, I understand Harper's viewpoint and awe with the Golden Temple, but there has to be an underlying thought about all this which should not be ignored.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

As usual, Tejwant Singh ji, you make a lot of sense.

However, before we criticize Harimandir Sahib for being expensive, might we not convince the SGPC to cough up all the millions they're sitting on?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
As usual, Tejwant Singh ji, you make a lot of sense.

However, before we criticize Harimandir Sahib for being expensive, might we not convince the SGPC to cough up all the millions they're sitting on?

Mai ji,

Guru Fateh.

I did not criticise Harmander Sahib but I did criticise the Golden Temple because Hari's Mander was morphed into it which was not in the plans of our visionary Guru when he constructed this beautiful place. SGPC has turned it into a money making machine. That is why all the rituals performed their except the Langer seva are for idol worshiping, nothing else. Even big boards around the Parikarma flaunt miracles of taking a dip in the Sarover.

SGPC has made people forget what Amritsar stands for and what real Amrit is which is really sad.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I have a thought I have never expressed and might well be condemned for, but I wonder that we consider one place more holy and sacred than another. I love Harimandir Sahib. It is beautiful and I always loved going there as a child. However, we are taught that pilgrimages and the like are useless, as is bathing to clean the soul.

The idols the SGPC seem to worship are the twins, power and money. Some of us remember what Amritsar means; some of us treasure Amrit, which is something that SGPC - or anything else - cannot take from us.

Miracles, if they occur (that's a different topic), are by their nature unpredictable. I hold billboards advertising such on a par with that gentleman from Nigeria who wants to give me all that money.

Akaal Purakh is equally everywhere.

Anandpur Sahib is my spiritual home.

I'm sorry if this offends. I know it will anger some, and I stand behind every word I have written here.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM