• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Is Sikhi Polytheistic?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
spnadmin has suggested to me that it would be useful to write a sample letter that you could use as a model. Her idea, as usual, is a good one, so here are a couple of samples. The first, while factually true, is better not sent. The seconds is not exciting, but makes the point. Feel free to elaborate on why this is so important to us. I have done some research on this company and discovered that it is very small, with only about 6 employees, so our letters can make a huge impact.

My research also turned up an email address, which should simplify things a lot. Send emails to: info@virgin-books.co.uk .

Please DO NOT SEND THIS ONE:

:animatedkhanda1:​
Yo, Publisher Dude/tte:

We Sikhs are bummed, I mean really grandly ****** about this book you published: What is Islam?: A Comprehensive Introduction, by Chris Horrie and Peter Chippindale. These two righteous dudes maybe know Islam, but they don't know diddly squat about Sikhi.

On page 13, they write, "“Polytheism – in the shape of formal religions at least – remains as a major force only in the Hindu and Sikh religions of the Indian sub-continent.”

Esteemed Publisher Dude/tte, this is just completely uncool, I mean ****** up to the max. Sikhi is strictly and righteously on the One God thing. Polytheism is like a huge no-no.

Most politely I ask - I make no threats - that this garbage be spotted out red-lined and these two authors be given a clop in their gobs and be told it's a very bad idea to get the Sikh Nation all riled up.
:realangrymunda::realangrymunda:​
Impatiently waiting your reply.

Regards,

That would surely noticed, but does not give the image of a Sikh we want to project.

Instead, you might write something like this, using your own words:

Dear Sir or Madam,

We have discovered a grave factual error in the book you published,
What is Islam?: A Comprehensive Introduction, by Chris Horrie and Peter Chippindale. On Page 13, they state:

“Polytheism – in the shape of formal religions at least – remains as a major force only in the Hindu and Sikh religions of the Indian sub-continent.”

The Sikh religion is strictly monotheistic. In fact, our sacred scriptures, Siri Guru Granth Sahib, start with words that translate as "One God."

I am certain that you strive for accuracy in the books you publish and will not hesitate to correct this grievous factual error.

Awaiting your positive response,
Regards,

:realangrymunda::realangrymunda:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
The perfect name for the Islamic book publisher.

Jokes apart, any name especially with the name Virgin is copyrighted by Sir Richard Bronson of The Virgin Atlantic Airways.

Shall we inform him of this? I think not.

Anyway, it does raise the rather distasteful picture of what a non-virgin book might be.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
If you do not believe me you can check it on Wikipedia. Virgin Books is 90 percent owned by Random House. It has a small line of non-fiction books. Virgin Books published the autobiography of Richard Brandon, "Losing My Virginity." Virgin publishes erotica under its Black Lace line and sado-masochistic erotica under the NEXUS line. It also publishes some fantasy fiction. As usual, one has to decide what is fiction and what is non-fiction where the book under discussion is concerned. :winkingkaur:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
If you click on the link to the Virgin Books website, you get this dismal message:

Sorry, we couldn't find that page...

They seem to be part of ebury publishing which has some big names, like Fodor's. I'm not sure how much of this is relevant to what we're doing, but it's interesting to see the tangled business web that we're in .

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Why don't we draft a petition and send it directly to Sir Richard Brandon? - and readers you can join SPN to be part of this.

One of us can draft the petition. Give me time to figure out how to put it online. Perhaps a link from this thread to one of those e-petition sites would work. Tejwant Singh has already written to Aman Singh about starting an electronic petiton.

I will also explore other options with Aman Singh as far as delivery of a petition-style message works. But don't forget to send your own personal email message. Inderjit Kaur ji has already provided a sample a few posts back.

It might take a few days to get the project organized. Post any ideas you have on this thread.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
If you click on the link to the Virgin Books website, you get this dismal message:

Sorry, we couldn't find that page...

They seem to be part of ebury publishing which has some big names, like Fodor's. I'm not sure how much of this is relevant to what we're doing, but it's interesting to see the tangled business web that we're in .

Are you talking about the link I posted?

http://www.virgin.com/company/virgin-books

It opens fine in Google Chrome for me.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Are you talking about the link I posted?

http://www.virgin.com/company/virgin-books

It opens fine in Google Chrome for me.

I can get there OK, but when I click on any of the pictures, I get that they are private and when I click on the link

Official site
www.virginbooks.com

I get the oops message.

I was trying to track down the "What Is Islam? book.

The site is set up to give as little information as possible, it seems to me.
:kaurkhalsaflagred:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Draft for petition
Please give your input before we upload it as an online petition. Thank you!
To the Editor of Virgin Books
To the Director and CEO, Random House Group of
To Sir Richard Brandon
Note: will need to find exact titles and proper reporting path for each of these

We have discovered a grave factual error in the book you published,
What is Islam?: A Comprehensive Introduction, by Chris Horrie and Peter Chippindale. On Page 13, they state:

“Polytheism – in the shape of formal religions at least – remains as a major force only in the Hindu and Sikh religions of the Indian sub-continent.”

The Sikh religion is strictly monotheistic. It is always a set-back for truth when accuracy is sacrificed. Sikhism is not a polytheistic religion. The Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, the sacred scripture of Sikhs, begins with these words, “Ik Oankar Sat Nam.” There is one eternal creator whose identity is truth. The Sikh Rehat Maryada, written by Sikh Scholars in 1925, addresses the key definition of a Sikh as,
• Believes in the existence of One eternal God
• Follows their teachings of, and accepts as their only Spiritual guides, the Guru Granth Sahib and the ten human Gurus
• Believes in the baptism (Amrit Sanchar), as promoted by the tenth Guru
• Does not owe allegiance to any other religion

The first and last point clarify that Sikhism is hardly polytheistic.

We the undersigned are certain that you strive for accuracy in the books you publish and will not hesitate to correct this grievous factual error. We urge that you withdraw copies of the book from distribution with due diligence.

Thank you

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
The following from Kabir ji perhaps is as direct as Inderjeet Kaur ji's first letter :icecreammunda:,

ਭੈਰਉ ਮਹਲਾ

Bẖairo mėhlā 5.
ਭੈਰਉ ਪੰਜਵੀਂ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ।
ਵਰਤ ਰਹਉ ਮਹ ਰਮਦਾਨਾ
varaṯ na raha▫o na mah ramḏānā.
Neither doing fasting nor following Ramadaan.

ਤਿਸੁ ਸੇਵੀ ਜੋ ਰਖੈ ਨਿਦਾਨਾ ੧॥
Ŧis sevī jo rakẖai niḏānā. ||1||
Serving only that, which protects at the end.

ਏਕੁ ਗੁਸਾਈ ਅਲਹੁ ਮੇਰਾ
Ėk gusā▫ī alhu merā.
One creator purveyor is like Allah for me.

ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਦੁਹਾਂ ਨੇਬੇਰਾ ੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Hinḏū ṯurak ḏuhāʼn neberā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Got rid of dealing with Hindus and Muslims.

ਹਜ ਕਾਬੈ ਜਾਉ ਤੀਰਥ ਪੂਜਾ
Haj kābai jā▫o na ṯirath pūjā.
Neither go to Kabbah for Haj or the sacred places to pray

ਏਕੋ ਸੇਵੀ ਅਵਰੁ ਦੂਜਾ ੨॥
Ėko sevī avar na ḏūjā. ||2||
Serving but one and no other second.

ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰਉ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰਉ
Pūjā kara▫o na nivāj gujāra▫o.
Neither do ritualistic rites nor carry out Namaaj.

ਏਕ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਲੇ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਮਸਕਾਰਉ ੩॥
Ėk nirankār le riḏai namaskāra▫o. ||3||
Salute in humility just one formless creator

ਨਾ ਹਮ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ
Nā ham hinḏū na musalmān.
Neither a Hindu nor a Muslim.

ਅਲਹ ਰਾਮ ਕੇ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਪਰਾਨ ੪॥
Alah rām ke pind parān. ||4||
My body and life of one that is called Allah Ram.

ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਇਹੁ ਕੀਆ ਵਖਾਨਾ
Kaho Kabīr ih kī▫ā vakẖānā.
Kabir so describe in detail.

ਗੁਰ ਪੀਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਖੁਦਿ ਖਸਮੁ ਪਛਾਨਾ ੫॥੩॥
Gur pīr mil kẖuḏ kẖasam pacẖẖānā. ||5||3||
Meeting the creator by self understood the custodian.

ESSENCE: In this sabad in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, there is no doubt left as to the message. Both Hindus and Musalman are recognized to be around with their Ram and Allah respectively. But it is stated that there is only one that prevails.

Rituals of fasting like Varats (by Hidus) or in Ramadaan (by Muslims) are irrelevant. Doing Pujas (Hindu rituals) or doing Namaaj (Muslim practice) are irrelevant. Going to Kabaah or the places of pilgrimages associated with Hindus are of no consequence.

It is stated in detail to ensure for no doubt. One creator in heart, one to bow to all along and at the end.
So we can deduce the following,

• Sikhs cannot be lumped with Hindus or Muslims in any pairing
Sat Sri Akal. :mundafacepalm:

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: