• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Is Preaching Allowed On This Forum?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry ji,
Hahaha, true. I think this is true of everyone, not just Sikhs or certain type of Sikhs. Let us inquire into it together.

Is it because society is so hell-bent on judging things as right and wrong, good and evil, then inflicting pain and suffering on to those whom it perceives are wrong and evil?
I think so. Just look at it from the point of view of Mughals who inflicted pain and suffering inflicted on the Sikh martyrs. I specifically use this example because we hold Sikh martyrs in high esteem. It becomes easy to see what mere judgement can do.

The pain and suffering need not be torture. It can be like a small poke.

And people do not want pain and suffering and so they don't want society to know. Then we only share with them, things that they consider good. And in turn they judge us as good.

Like so:
Everything we do is to get us away from pain and/or suffering.

Who is this society? Society is made up of individuals. So society's mentality comes from individual mentality but as a collective. So then the individual is hell-bent on judging things as right and wrong, good and evil, then inflicting pain and suffering on to those whom it perceives are wrong and evil.

Is this how an individual (no matter how rational) can dislike someone's spirituality? I think so that is if this individual perceives the other as wrong and evil. This could arise from either rationality or emotions.

And we can easily look at others and say he is "hellbent on judging things as...". but we never see it in ourselves, that I am also doing such things.

Why do people not want others to find out what they do? well several reasons, it is quite normal in society to have 2 or 3 personas that people take on, given any particular situation, some can be quite adept at living 2 or 3 separate lives, a family life, a work life, and a secret fun life, and in each manifestation of personality, they will embrace each life. A finding out of this person will have huge consequences, not all to do with judgement or dislike.It is to do with one word , shame.

Does the shame come from being judged, I do not think so, when a person has been caught out, doing something that questions their character, it is not the fear of being judged, it is the shame of being found out. It is only after being found out the situation suddenly becomes very real, and the person feels guilt, and indeed shame. People do not wish to become found out because it turns a fantasy into reality, is it so wrong to question? , in particular question those whom you thought were one person, but in reality were a different person, for whom you may not have had time for, if you had known the truth.

As a society, we do not judge people who have fallen, we are sad for them, we do not know who they are anymore, what they stand for, if they have lied to their wives or employer, then they could lie to us, we are wary, but forgiving, but we also respect them for being honest, what else can we do as a society but respect the truth, and those that nail it to their flag

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Harry ji look closely at your post. icecreammunda Shame is emotion-based. Whereas judgement is thought-based. Really they are the same thing.
Why do people not want others to find out what they do? well several reasons, it is quite normal in society to have 2 or 3 personas that people take on, given any particular situation, some can be quite adept at living 2 or 3 separate lives, a family life, a work life, and a secret fun life, and in each manifestation of personality, they will embrace each life. A finding out of this person will have huge consequences, not all to do with judgement or dislike.It is to do with one word , shame.

Does the shame come from being judged, I do not think so, when a person has been caught out, doing something that questions their character, it is not the fear of being judged, it is the shame of being found out. It is only after being found out the situation suddenly becomes very real, and the person feels guilt, and indeed shame. People do not wish to become found out because it turns a fantasy into reality, is it so wrong to question? , in particular question those whom you thought were one person, but in reality were a different person, for whom you may not have had time for, if you had known the truth.

As a society, we do not judge people who have fallen, we are sad for them, we do not know who they are anymore, what they stand for, if they have lied to their wives or employer, then they could lie to us, we are wary, but forgiving, but we also respect them for being honest, what else can we do as a society but respect the truth, and those that nail it to their flag
Society and individuals will only respect their perspective on the Truth. They demand that a person who is just a person, neither wrong nor evil, admit that he is. And this is what they call being honest.

You are neither Harry nor the wolf. Why would I want you to admit being one or the other? And if I do, what kind of truth-seeking/truth-respecting is that?

I hope you see the false nature of it all. In that false nature lies the Truth.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It would be good if we could decide what this thread is really about. Certainly the discussion has gravitated from its starting point. Probably for the good. However, the title and the content do not match and the content seems to change current frequently. Is it time to close the thread? Thanks.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Spnadminji,

As I cannot think of a decent answer to Bhagatsinghji's post, you could close the thread to save me looking like a fool,

uhmm ok too late

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Harry ji

Perhaps we can hold out for a few more days...see if we can get a better title for this thread that reflects the content of the discussion. I personally think your comments stand on their own and no second thoughts are needed. So let's wait and see.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Of course preaching is allowed on this forum.

Preaching is just another way of learning and sharing. Let us see if we agree,

• Teaching: You can teach without understanding
  • Preaching: You can preach as follows,
    • Preach what you believe and understand
      • Helping the needy
    • Preach what you don't believe but understand
      • Telling females in family to dress modestly while expecting all others to look like actresses
    • Preach what you believe but don't understand
      • Licking Honey laced with Black Pepper is good if you have dry cough
So all posts will follow some semblance of the above in their content and style, proving preaching is allowed at spn.

I don't know if we specialize in the following type,

‪Baby Preacher World's Youngest Preacher No Subtitles‬‏ - YouTube

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
preach
v. preached, preach·ing, preach·es
v.tr.
1. To proclaim or put forth in a sermon: preached the gospel.
2. To advocate, especially to urge acceptance of or compliance with: preached tolerance and peaceful coexistence.
3. To deliver (a sermon).
v.intr.
1. To deliver a sermon.
2. To give religious or moral instruction, especially in a tedious manner.

To me the difference between preaching and debating is the simple lack of the words

'I think'

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Preaching is done with an intent to impart your beliefs to another person. It comes in two forms:

1. Preaching to the non-believers to try and convert them to your way of thinking

Or, what we more commonly do here with a good-natured spirit

2. Preaching to the choir!! (those already believing... or should I say realising...)

When I think about preaching, and encouraging belief, and vichaar which we do here, I'm reminded of Gurbani like the following, from ang 1345:

ਭਉ ਖਾਣਾ ਪੀਣਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਸਾਰੁ
भउ खाणा पीणा सुखु सारु ॥
Bẖa▫o kẖāṇā pīṇā sukẖ sār.
Those who eat and drink the Fear of God, find the most excellent peace.

ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਪਾਵੈ ਪਾਰੁ
हरि जन संगति पावै पारु ॥
Har jan sangaṯ pāvai pār.
Associating with the humble servants of the Lord, they are carried across.

ਸਚੁ ਬੋਲੈ ਬੋਲਾਵੈ ਪਿਆਰੁ
सचु बोलै बोलावै पिआरु ॥
Sacẖ bolai bolāvai pi▫ār.
They speak the Truth, and lovingly inspire others to speak it as well.

ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਕਰਣੀ ਹੈ ਸਾਰੁ ॥੭॥
गुर का सबदु करणी है सारु ॥७॥
Gur kā sabaḏ karṇī hai sār. ||7||
The Word of the Guru's Shabad is the most excellent occupation. ||7||

Annie

SPNer
Jun 12, 2011
I love the way some people on this forum can find a positive side to almost anything. What a wonderful frame of mind to be in. The original post was pretty crummy... but maybe that is what crummy people consider as preaching.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM