Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Is Langer Helping anyone in the western world

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by SikhGiani, Mar 24, 2012.

1. SikhGiani

SikhGiani
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Everytime i have been in a gurdwara i see that it is only our people eating not any white/black or someone poor who really needs it. The Granthis and Gianis dont go out into the community and tell people we feed the poor. My question is whats the purpose of Langer if its only a snack time for us and not of helping people out im talking mostly of the western countries.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh News Langer, The Community Kitchen Breaking News Apr 21, 2009
    Garlic not allowed in Langer Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Nov 26, 2004
    Khalsa Aid Sikh Charity Praised For Helping Stranded UK Travellers Sikh Organisations Jul 26, 2016
    Sikh News Sikh Charity Praised For Helping Stranded UK Travellers - NDTV Breaking News Jul 26, 2016
    How message of love from Sikh gurus are helping Pakistani Christians to fight forced conversions Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Oct 12, 2015

3. BhagatSingh

BhagatSingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer sikhiart.com

It's not helping anyone in that sense. Maybe a little bit... moms don't have to cook a meal, dads get some time away from nagging :D... I think... Otherwise, it's just a ritual nowadays. The purpose is in doing the ritual itself. Helping others while you're at it is an added bonus.

Why are religious rituals important?
    To get you moving and involved with that which is sacred (Sikhism, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Gurudwara, etc) with your whole body and mind. Langar does exactly this. All parts of it involve your body and mind, the eating, serving, washing dishes, preparing food, etc in the presence of SGGS. Furthermore, it connects you to a community of people who follow the same tradition as you, and who have the same goals as you.

4. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

SikhGiani ji thanks for your post. One comment,
    Sat Sri Akal.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TigerStyleZ

TigerStyleZ
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

All are welcome for Langar , but If they don´t take the oppurtunity to come , we can´t do much about it. And if the "Prabandaks" and "Sewadars" , don´t make much about it to attract people or hang out shields, what should we do? Secondly we live in the western world where you can get food in every corner. So there aren´t many poor people .Here we are wasting tons of food. We don´t need to moan that we just doing it for "ourself", we need parise that we still doing sewa. Our people are a bit lazier than f.e. church members

6. BaljinderS

BaljinderS
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I agree with veer ji.

Langar is very important part of Sikhism. It preaches equality, humility and brings the Sikh community together. I feel at peace whenever I do seva in the langar. Langar is open to anyone regardless of faith/no faith.

We are not lazy, quiet the opposite. Christians/churches do this to spread Christianity. I think we should stay away from criticising for the sake of criticism and focus/encourage what is good. There are lot of people who will happy criticise Sikhs, Sikhs shouldn't criticise them selves too much. If it continue happens then people actually start to believe that we deserve the criticism.

Western world problems are mostly self created. Its all about me, me, me.. which means problem, problem, problem...